Cruises from Frt. Lauderdale, arriving in Miami

DanielBu

Hello,

I need some advice about how to get from Miami to Frt. Lauderdale (Cruise Terminals):

We will be arriving in Miami in the evening, having our cruise to start from Frt. Lauderdale the next day.

Should we spent the night in Miami oder Frt. Lauderdale?

What is the best way (not necessarily the cheapest) to get from Miami to Frt. Lauderdale?

We have 6 days after our Cruise to spent in Florida and after that we wil be departing from Miami.

Where should we stay? Miami or Frt. Lauderdale?

Thx. for any advice given!

Daniel

Berlin / Germany

It's only 25-30 miles maybe a taxi.

Try the Florida Departure boards for more help.

clic on this link ( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=495 )

If you have time after your cruise I would go to the Florida keys for a couple of day.:)

I like The Marriot Key Largo resort down there.:D

Depending upon traffic, taxi from Miami Airport to Port Everglades in FLL is about 30 minutes and costs around $70 plus tip. Be sure driver turns on the meter.

The few times we flew into Miami but cruised from FLL, we stayed overnight in FLL.

Easy as can be.

There are a multitude of shuttle and rental car options that would be cheaper than cab, but also might involve some hassle. In this case, I would likely stay at a MIA area hotel that has a shuttle from the airport, since you arrive in the evening, and take a cab to Port Everglades the next day. But I would also do some shopping online and see if I can get a better deal at a hotel around the Ft Lauderdale airport. Most of the hotels at the I-95 and Stirling Rd interchange have free or very cheap shuttles to the port, and there are also restaurants right in the area for dinner and breakfast, plus this area is easy to get to from MIA, being right on I-95. Hotels in this area I would look at are Hilton Garden Inn, Springhill Suites, Hyatt Place South, Summerfield Suites, Best Western Airport South and Cambria Suites. There is also a Comfort Inn and Hampton Inn, as well as a La Quinta a mile or so south, off Sheridan St.

It is about a 30-minute drive. Getting a taxi would be the most convenient and fastest way to get to Fort Lauderdale. I think hotel prices tend to be cheaper in FLL also. I assume you are thinking of renting a car after your cruise. You could split your time between FLL and Miami/South Beach for the return trip. Definitely check out the Florida Departures board. Lots of great information. Have fun.

If you want cheap---and still easy---I did a reverse trip last year. Flew into FLL, took free shuttle to the train station (tri rail I believe), $3-4 for my train ticket, and dropped off at MIA because I was staying at a hotel next to the airport. I reversed it to fly back from FLL.

If you want cheap---and still easy---I did a reverse trip last year. Flew into FLL, took free shuttle to the train station (tri rail I believe), $3-4 for my train ticket, and dropped off at MIA because I was staying at a hotel next to the airport. I reversed it to fly back from FLL.

We're doing what you did. Fly into FLL the day before cruise out of Miami, then flying from FLL the day after our cruise ends in Miami. Can you tell me more about free shuttle, train between FLL and Miami, hotel to stay at near FLL airport before and after cruise (1 night each), and getting to and from the cruise port from where we get off/on the train in Miami.

Thank you.

Bob

We're doing what you did. Fly into FLL the day before cruise out of Miami, then flying from FLL the day after our cruise ends in Miami. Can you tell me more about free shuttle, train between FLL and Miami, hotel to stay at near FLL airport before and after cruise (1 night each), and getting to and from the cruise port from where we get off/on the train in Miami.

Thank you.

Bob

I suggest staying in Miami the night before, that way you're already close to the port in order to get there early. Second hotel could be whichever city you want, unless you have an earlier flight and then I recommend staying near FLL.

When I arrived in FLL I looked for signs for the Tri Rail shuttle. I am sure you can ask for assistance too. This page shows where the stops are and shows what the sign and shuttle looks like. I happened to be at terminal 1. http://www.broward.org/Airport/Transportation/Pages/PublicTransportation.aspx

After getting on the shuttle it was a quick trip (maybe 5-10 mins max?) to the Tri Rail Station. I bought a pass that was good for 2 zones which currently runs $3.75 according to the website. You can look up the train schedule ahead of time but I just waited until the next train arrived. The train was clean, had luggage racks, and a bathroom. I was lucky and both trips had few passengers, gotta love no crowds!

You could get off at the metrorail transfer station and either take a taxi or bus to a hotel or you could rent a hotel near one of the metro stops. What I did was take the train all the way to the end, right across from the Miami airport. I was meeting up with my inlaws who booked the hotel I had used a couple of years prior, La Quinta East. It's not a fancy hotel but it's clean, good breakfast, cheap with my military discount, and provides a shuttle to the port. They also allow you to leave your car for 2 weeks which is what we did on our first cruise and the reason I knew about the hotel. It is right by the airport. Once at the train station you have 3 options. You could call a taxi, you can take the free shuttle from the train station to the airport and then the hotel offers a free shuttle to the hotel. If I remember correctly the hotel is right about 1 mile down the road from the train station/airport. What I did because it was quicker was hop on a bus that I knew was going right next to the hotel. I think I paid $1.50 or $2. If you choose that method, the bus doesn't tell you where the stops are, you just have to know. I knew what the area looked like from my previous trips but I suggest scouting it out on google maps. If you're interested I could try and do a print screen image of the area where you'd want to signal a stop.

In the morning we took the free shuttle to the port. (Which you have to sign up for when you check in). We stayed at the hotel after the cruise as well and took a taxi back to the hotel, cost around $20 pre tip. You could also have a taxi take you to the train station, then the train back to FLL, and a taxi to a hotel.

If you happened to stay at La Quinta East after the cruise, what I was planning on doing was taking the free hotel shuttle to the airport and then the free shuttle back to the train station. When I got on the shuttle the drive asked what airline I was taking so he would know where to drop me off, I told him I needed to go to the train station so I needed dropped off where the train shuttle was. He had to drive right by the train station to get to the airport and he kindly let me off there. I bought a 2 zone ticket, waited for my train, and then got on the free shuttle back to FLL. I had like 8 hours to kill though and security was heightened and I wasn't allowed past security until an hour and a half until my flight. I was bored! But I was poor and taxis, sight seeing, and activities weren't in my budget.

I think I've answered any possible questions you might have about how I did it but if you think of something, go ahead and ask!

Car rental is also an option but I don't know if the car companies in FLL shuttle to the port. Pick up/drop off in FLL is at the airport, while it's off-site in Miami.

Our experience was doing the opposite - flew into FLL, rented car, stayed in hotel in Miami for 2 nights precruise. In Miami, the car drop is off-site and the main car co. all had shuttles to the port. There are 3 of us, and re got a rental car for like $30USD per day so it was much much cheaper than a taxi!

But another poster was right in refering you to the Florida board. There are many who live there and others who have traveled there frequently and they give great advice!

I suggest staying in Miami the night before, that way you're already close to the port in order to get there early. Second hotel could be whichever city you want, unless you have an earlier flight and then I recommend staying near FLL.

When I arrived in FLL I looked for signs for the Tri Rail shuttle. I am sure you can ask for assistance too. This page shows where the stops are and shows what the sign and shuttle looks like. I happened to be at terminal 1. http://www.broward.org/Airport/Transportation/Pages/PublicTransportation.aspx

After getting on the shuttle it was a quick trip (maybe 5-10 mins max?) to the Tri Rail Station. I bought a pass that was good for 2 zones which currently runs $3.75 according to the website. You can look up the train schedule ahead of time but I just waited until the next train arrived. The train was clean, had luggage racks, and a bathroom. I was lucky and both trips had few passengers, gotta love no crowds!

You could get off at the metrorail transfer station and either take a taxi or bus to a hotel or you could rent a hotel near one of the metro stops. What I did was take the train all the way to the end, right across from the Miami airport. I was meeting up with my inlaws who booked the hotel I had used a couple of years prior, La Quinta East. It's not a fancy hotel but it's clean, good breakfast, cheap with my military discount, and provides a shuttle to the port. They also allow you to leave your car for 2 weeks which is what we did on our first cruise and the reason I knew about the hotel. It is right by the airport. Once at the train station you have 3 options. You could call a taxi, you can take the free shuttle from the train station to the airport and then the hotel offers a free shuttle to the hotel. If I remember correctly the hotel is right about 1 mile down the road from the train station/airport. What I did because it was quicker was hop on a bus that I knew was going right next to the hotel. I think I paid $1.50 or $2. If you choose that method, the bus doesn't tell you where the stops are, you just have to know. I knew what the area looked like from my previous trips but I suggest scouting it out on google maps. If you're interested I could try and do a print screen image of the area where you'd want to signal a stop.

In the morning we took the free shuttle to the port. (Which you have to sign up for when you check in). We stayed at the hotel after the cruise as well and took a taxi back to the hotel, cost around $20 pre tip. You could also have a taxi take you to the train station, then the train back to FLL, and a taxi to a hotel.

If you happened to stay at La Quinta East after the cruise, what I was planning on doing was taking the free hotel shuttle to the airport and then the free shuttle back to the train station. When I got on the shuttle the drive asked what airline I was taking so he would know where to drop me off, I told him I needed to go to the train station so I needed dropped off where the train shuttle was. He had to drive right by the train station to get to the airport and he kindly let me off there. I bought a 2 zone ticket, waited for my train, and then got on the free shuttle back to FLL. I had like 8 hours to kill though and security was heightened and I wasn't allowed past security until an hour and a half until my flight. I was bored! But I was poor and taxis, sight seeing, and activities weren't in my budget.

I think I've answered any possible questions you might have about how I did it but if you think of something, go ahead and ask!

Thank you so much. We will be staying in FLL both nights, because we arrive late at night after a full day flying cross country. We'll catch Tri Rail in the morning for the trip to Miami. What stop do we get off if we want to make the easiest connection to the Miami Cruise Port? Also, what is the best way to get from said stop to the Cruise Port? You've already been so helpful, but I'd like to make this as easy as possible. Same thing in reverse for getting to the train after the cruise. Again, thank you.

Bob

Car rental is also an option but I don't know if the car companies in FLL shuttle to the port. Pick up/drop off in FLL is at the airport, while it's off-site in Miami.

Our experience was doing the opposite - flew into FLL, rented car, stayed in hotel in Miami for 2 nights precruise. In Miami, the car drop is off-site and the main car co. all had shuttles to the port. There are 3 of us, and re got a rental car for like $30USD per day so it was much much cheaper than a taxi!

But another poster was right in refering you to the Florida board. There are many who live there and others who have traveled there frequently and they give great advice!

OP is from Germany and may not wish to deal with rental car after a long transatlantic flight and international license etc

OP is from Germany and may not wish to deal with rental car after a long transatlantic flight and international license etc

I understood that they are from Germany, but that's how most of the people we met on our cruise did it and they were from UK, Austria & France. They didn't say they had any problem with it. In fact, they weren't sure there would have been an easier way. We knew it was easy for us, but they agreed.

Thank you so much. We will be staying in FLL both nights, because we arrive late at night after a full day flying cross country. We'll catch Tri Rail in the morning for the trip to Miami. What stop do we get off if we want to make the easiest connection to the Miami Cruise Port? Also, what is the best way to get from said stop to the Cruise Port? You've already been so helpful, but I'd like to make this as easy as possible. Same thing in reverse for getting to the train after the cruise. Again, thank you.

Bob

I want to be up front that I am only guessing at what would be the easiest. I think the Miami Airport (last stop) might be closest to the port. I would suggest getting a taxi from the train station to take you to the port and a taxi to take you back to the train station after the cruise. I don't know what the cost is but I have taken a taxi 3 times from a hotel 1 mile down the road from the train stop and it was around $20-$24 before tip.

I don't know how many are in your party but if it's just 2 it may or may not be cheaper or easier to use SAS transportation. I have never used them but I have heard good things about them. They are more expensive, especially if you have 3+ people using the, but it seemed like a reasonable rate. I needed the cheapest possible solution and the train fit my needs.

I want to be up front that I am only guessing at what would be the easiest. I think the Miami Airport (last stop) might be closest to the port. I would suggest getting a taxi from the train station to take you to the port and a taxi to take you back to the train station after the cruise. I don't know what the cost is but I have taken a taxi 3 times from a hotel 1 mile down the road from the train stop and it was around $20-$24 before tip.

I don't know how many are in your party but if it's just 2 it may or may not be cheaper or easier to use SAS transportation. I have never used them but I have heard good things about them. They are more expensive, especially if you have 3+ people using the, but it seemed like a reasonable rate. I needed the cheapest possible solution and the train fit my needs.

Thank you for the information about SAS transportation. I'm looking into that option.

Bob

Archived