ATM Question

iflyrc5

I have never used an ATM in a non-english speaking country. My question - if I use an ATM in Mexico or Panama or Peru or other countries that are not english speaking are the instructions in the national language of the country or are they in English or both?

I have never used an ATM in a non-english speaking country. My question - if I use an ATM in Mexico or Panama or Peru or other countries that are not english speaking are the instructions in the national language of the country or are they in English or both?

Its just like the ATMs here... Once you insert your card you get to select the language. Its always a bit nerve wracking... but no need to worry. Just like at home, I would recommend using ATMs at banks and other more secure locations over the sketchy looking ones at convenience stores etc...

We have travelled to many countries all over the world and found that most ATM's have English as a selected language. The best bet is to use a bank that is open incase something goes wrong. (in Korea the machine ate my card and I had to use sign language (hand waving) to get a person to retrieve my card), but apart from that one incident I have use the ATM's with no problem.

The ATM's are so much easier than travellers cheques and most other countries do not use credit cards to any extent.

Look at the back of your ATM card to see which system(s) your bank participates in (such as Cirrus, Interlink, Star, and Plus).

We encounter fewer problems when using an ATM that displays the same system logo.

Woody

I never had a problem using an ATM in non English speaking countries and have used one in all of the countries you listed(you might have to try a few), unlike Oviedo32765 who probity never used one.

We had trouble with language at an ATM once in Rio. But an English speaking passerby was pleased to help! This will probably be true anywhere you go.

Dan

I don't let anyone near me when I am making an ATM withdrawal.

We used an ATM in Curacao and Aruba on our cruise in December. We were able to choose service in English and choose the currency (American or local). It took our Canadian debit card with no issues... (unlike the Tri Rail station machine in Ft. Lauderdale that didn't take our Canadian credit card)

I will warn you that it doesn't mention anything about a service fee like most ATMs do and when we got home and checked our account, each transaction cost us an extra $12.50.

I think I had some trouble in Bulgaria, but that was pre EU, so I'll bet they're on board now. As has been mentioned, sometimes a flag is used to indicate the choices of language, which is better than the word, since sometimes the words are written in the native language, and I don't know Cyrillic or Arabic.

Usually the transaction fees are established by your banking institution and not by the ATM bank, so ask your bank before you leave.... and tell them you will be in foreign countries or they may freeze your card.

In Buenos Aires there is an English language choice at all of the ATM's. However, there was a $4.00 service fee charged at each ATM, as well as a $5.00 charge added on by my Canadian bank, so each transaction cost me $9.00 Canadian. Also, the ATM's limited the amount you could take out each time. If you can, go to a bank - fewer service charges to change the money, you can take out more money at one time, and often you get a better exchange rate. I found there was usually a staff member at each bank I went to in Argentina and in Chile who spoke English. Also, some other bank customers spoke English and were very helpful.

And if you use letters for your ATM code in the USA make sure you know what the numerical equivalent is - we have seen ATMs that only show numbers.
And be sure the first digit is not zero. Some non-US ATMs don't like that.

Archived