Returning to the O

magictam

I haven’t been on the Oosterdam or even with HAL since February 2008. But I’m returning in February……………..YEAH! After reading a number of negative reviews and posts, I’m a little concerned and want to prepare myself for what to expect. I have a few questions.

Has the Oosterdams appearance taken a beating? Are the furniture, walls and carpet in desperate need of repair? Does anyone know if it’s as bad the RCL Monarch of the Seas? It won’t ruin anything for me, but at least I won’t be surprised like I was on the Monarch.

I have used anytime dining on our last few cruises and really enjoyed the flexibility of it. We were able to make either daily reservations or a standing reservation for dinner. We have found with the reservations, there was no waiting and had the same wait staff each night. Service and dinner was just like in the MDR. Does HAL offer this option? Which level of the dining room is anything dining offered?

What is the current cost of the hydro pool/thermal suite? I don’t really care so much for the pool, but love the heated loungers. I’ve missed them on other lines.

Please let me know of any other changes I should be aware of. Thanks so much for your help and input.

Tammie

Hi Tammie,

I am looking forward to the comments that your question might bring. This will be my third year in a row on the O. We like her for what she is... a smaller ship with a relaxed enviornment. This past year we have also sailed on Oasis, Allure, Sapphire and Liberty so I plan on providing a reveiw after we sail right behind you on the 18th.

The Open Seating is on the Lower Level of the dining room.

The hours are from 5:15 - 9 PM.

You can make reservations between 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9 PM. And you can make reservations for 3 days at a time.

The time between 6:15 and 7:30 is "just walk up".

You may or may not get the same staff each evening.

Some questions to ask yourself when hearing these conflicting reports:

Do you think overall HAL intentionally runs shabby ships? Or does it have some normal wear and tear in-between scheduled dry-docks, where some details may need more attention than others. What has been your overall experience traveling with HAL?

Do you really think there is no pride of service in the HAL line that would allow the kinds of conditions some have reported as their personal impressions about HAL ships. Or are we reading exaggerated reactions to exaggerated expectations?

This is not being a HAL apologist, but just asking for some degree of perspective to be exercised. If one truly believes HAL enjoys sailing permanently shabby ships in corporate disregard for passenger comfort or convenience, then best stay away.

But if like the vast majority of HAL return passengers, there is a realistic expectation that on any give cruise not everything will be 100% perfect at all times but that this is not a pattern of institutional neglect at the passengers expense, then HAL will continue to deliver its brand of quality and value cruise travel.

I sailed to Hawaii on the Oosterdam in October. At that time, the full trip spa hydro package was $299 per couple or $159 per person appx for 2 weeks, one week would be less.

Despite reports, I didn't notice any problems that caused me any real concern. New carpeting was laid in many of the public areas during our cruise. I've not been on the Monarch but I know it is a much older ship used for short cruises. The Oosterdam was in drydock this last fall and she was spruced up then. We cruise on her again in less than 3 weeks, and I am sure she will be in fine shape once again.

I have cruised on the Oosterdam many times as it is the most convenient HAL ship for the West Coast. Because of that, some have labelled me a "cheerleader" and suggest that I have blinders on. I assure you, that is not the case. The Oosterdam is not perfect, nor is any ship I have ever cruised on, but overall we are always pleased with our cruises on her.

I have spent much time prior to cruising on many ships worrying about the CC reports I have read. Most of the time, my opinion and experience has been wonderful on those ships despite previous bad reviews.

Good luck to you and I hope you have a fabulous trip. my advice is take all reviews, both good and bad with a grain of salt, I really think you will be pleasantly surprised!

We are onboard the Oosterdam at this time. I think we have been on this ship 4 times int he last 4 years. Here are some observations:

Nice traditions that we still see:

-Excellent food in the MDR. I think the service is very good given the large number of tables assigned to each waiter and assistant.

-Unobtrusive cabin stewards who keep the cabin in nice shape.

-Nice concierge ladies in the Neptune.

-Breakfast in PG for SA/SB/SC/PH passengers.

-Really excellent and timely laundry service.

-Ability to bring on board your favorite wines.

What seems to have gone away in the last few years:

-A person to greet you on boarding and either show you to your cabin or at least point you to an elevator. I seem to remember in the distant past that HAL offered a glass of champagne as you boarded but my wife says that was only on Crystal and that I am only dreaming this about HAL.

-A person to show you to your assigned table in the MDR at least the first night. “It’s over that way by the window.”

-Enforcement of any dress code in the MDR. T shirts or sweats equal smart casual to some passengers and no jacket or tie is required on formal nights. For the record, I would prefer all smart casual nights and it does not seem a huge deal for men to at least put on a pair of Dockers and a collared shirt.

-Updates to interior cabin and balcony furniture. It is in sad shape.

Gary

Hi Tammie, I honestly do no think you will see much if any change at all since the Yum Yum Man cruise you were last on with us. Tom and I were with Sher several weeks ago for the first Hawaii run and found it to be great.

I thought the food in the Main Dining Room and Lido were as good as always, we did have great service. The only thing that we felt was just OK was the Pinnacle. It was not bad but it was the the best. This is the one thing that tends to be inconsistent with HAL.

My wife is really concerned about our upcoming Hawaii cruise on the 'O'. Worried about seasickness, huge waves, etc etc. Generally not a problem for me, but if someone could address these concerns would appreciate it.

For you folks that are on, or have been recently on the 'O' to Hawaii, what were sea conditions like?

My wife is really concerned about our upcoming Hawaii cruise on the 'O'. Worried about seasickness, huge waves, etc etc. Generally not a problem for me, but if someone could address these concerns would appreciate it.

For you folks that are on, or have been recently on the 'O' to Hawaii, what were sea conditions like?

You might want to view this link for further information: http://www.noaa.gov/

Mr. New Guy, I'm happy to see that you've enjoyed the Oosterdam so much you've returned 3 years running. COOL!

I think we're sailing with you on February 18th. I haven't joined the roll but was plaining on it this week :D.

Shar & Lisa

Thanks so much for sharing and reassuring. I can't believe it's been so long since the YumYum Man cruise. What a blast.

I thought we might try the Pinnacle. We've never tried any of the steak houses on any ship. It might be time for a new adventure.

I'm happy to see y'all are still cruising fiends. Hopefully we'll run into each other someday. Though in 2010, I did think I saw Lisa & Tom loading on an Airport van at one of the hotels at Port Carnival. I can't remember the name of the hotel. We were arriving as I think y'all were leaving.

Thanks again.

Tammie

Wow, I asked 3 questions and you chose not to respond to any of them. Instead you issued a 4 paragraph lecture that I should rethink cruising with HAL.

I reread my post and quite frankly I don’t see how you could interrupt anything I wrote to indicate that I think HAL “intentionally runs shabby ships” or that HAL has “no pride of service” or that I have unrealistic expectations.

I personally found your reply to be offensive and belittling. I really don’t appreciate being treated like this by someone I don’t know and who knows absolute nothing about me. I can only hope in the future you refrain from responding to my posts.

Tammie

Shar & Lisa

Thanks so much for sharing and reassuring. I can't believe it's been so long since the YumYum Man cruise. What a blast.

I thought we might try the Pinnacle. We've never tried any of the steak houses on any ship. It might be time for a new adventure.

I'm happy to see y'all are still cruising fiends. Hopefully we'll run into each other someday. Though in 2010, I did think I saw Lisa & Tom loading on an Airport van at one of the hotels at Port Carnival. I can't remember the name of the hotel. We were arriving as I think y'all were leaving.

Thanks again.

Tammie

Tammie, no it was not Tom and I, would you believe in over 30+ cruises we have never been to Port Canaveral. The only Florida port we have been out of is Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale but this coming November we will be trying out Tampa :)

Wow, I asked 3 questions and you chose not to respond to any of them. Instead you issued a 4 paragraph lecture that I should rethink cruising with HAL.

I reread my post and quite frankly I don’t see how you could interrupt anything I wrote to indicate that I think HAL “intentionally runs shabby ships” or that HAL has “no pride of service” or that I have unrealistic expectations.

I personally found your reply to be offensive and belittling. I really don’t appreciate being treated like this by someone I don’t know and who knows absolute nothing about me. I can only hope in the future you refrain from responding to my posts.

Tammie

Thank you for your three paragraph lecture in response. I should have replaced the more generic personal pronoun "one" for the times i used the more personal personal pronoun "you" to keep this discussion about decision making less personal. I will pay more attention to that in the future because I was intrigued with the questions you (personally) posed. We are going on the Oosterdam again - not our favorite HAL ship, but no one else duplicates this itinerary so we are good to go.

We sailed the Oosterdam from San Diego to Hawaii and back Dec. 10-24. We were a bit apprehensive because this ship is the largest we have ever cruised on, but we were very pleasantly surprised. We had excellent service in the cabin, the main dining room and the Lido. We ate in the Pinnacle one night and had a delicious dinner, but the service did not compare to what we had in the main dining room (thanks Edy and Yuli). We thought the ship was in fine shape except for the balcony furniture which was corrected. The seas were high this time in comparison to our 7 other Hawaii cruises, and the weather was overcast most of the time. I checked my notes and the cruise log to verify this since another poster who I have put on my "ignore" list insists that I do not know what I am talking about. On Dec. 13 the seas were 11 feet! On all our other Hawaii cruises, the seas ( other than the first 2 days out of San Diego and the last 2 days back) the seas were beautifully smooth. I don't think you have anything to worry about cruising to Hawaii on the Oosterdam. Enjoy!

If your wife has problems with seasickness try the ginger gum. It works and doesn't make one dizzy or sleepy. Prescription is not necessary and can get it at the drugstore.

If your wife has problems with seasickness try the ginger gum. It works and doesn't make one dizzy or sleepy. Prescription is not necessary and can get it at the drugstore.

And there is candied ginger on the ship :D My dh made fun of this for years. Last year - he tried it and now swears by it:)

We were also on the Dec 10-24 sailing to Hawaii. There were rocky days, but we learned to love them! I admit I started taking Meclizine (Bonine / non-drowsy Dramamine) the evening before the trip and continued one each night for the first few days. My hubby had one wonky morning, I gave him a ginger capsule, and he was fine. On the way back, one morning I began to feel a bit weird, took the meclizine I hadn't been taking (for long term relief) and a ginger capsule (for the immediate issue) and I was just fine.

There were spots on the O that showed wear, but - for goodness sake - if we're happy to have reasonable costs and great service, we have to be realists! It amazes me when people crow about getting "great deals" then complain that the cruise line isn't spending big bucks to re-do the upholstery more often..... I'd rather have smiles and cheerful service with a few worn edges than pristine furniture with surly stewards....

But that's just me. We all value different things, and that's valid. I just don't "see" wear and tear, but value the warm touch in service.

Barb in so cal

On our way over to Honolulu in October, it was placid. On the way back, there was more wave action. I don't think worrying about it is productive, just plan for high seas by packing your remedies, and just go enjoy your cruise.

I have never slept better than when the ship is rocking and rolling, if only there was an at home machine for that!

There were spots on the O that showed wear, but - for goodness sake - if we're happy to have reasonable costs and great service, we have to be realists! It amazes me when people crow about getting "great deals" then complain that the cruise line isn't spending big bucks to re-do the upholstery more often..... I'd rather have smiles and cheerful service with a few worn edges than pristine furniture with surly stewards....

But that's just me. We all value different things, and that's valid. I just don't "see" wear and tear, but value the warm touch in service.

Barb in so cal

Barb, wonderful stated. :)

I haven’t been on the Oosterdam or even with HAL since February 2008. But I’m returning in February……………..YEAH! After reading a number of negative reviews and posts, I’m a little concerned and want to prepare myself for what to expect. I have a few questions.

Has the Oosterdams appearance taken a beating? Are the furniture, walls and carpet in desperate need of repair? Does anyone know if it’s as bad the RCL Monarch of the Seas? It won’t ruin anything for me, but at least I won’t be surprised like I was on the Monarch.

I have used anytime dining on our last few cruises and really enjoyed the flexibility of it. We were able to make either daily reservations or a standing reservation for dinner. We have found with the reservations, there was no waiting and had the same wait staff each night. Service and dinner was just like in the MDR. Does HAL offer this option? Which level of the dining room is anything dining offered?

What is the current cost of the hydro pool/thermal suite? I don’t really care so much for the pool, but love the heated loungers. I’ve missed them on other lines.

Please let me know of any other changes I should be aware of. Thanks so much for your help and input.

Tammie

I just returned from the Oosterdam on Saturday and was aboard her in May 2011. In terms of the public areas, I didn't notice any of the wear I had noticed prior to her dry dock. As for the cabin, we were in a standard verandah cabin that was in better condition than the SY we had in May, but there was some MINOR wear and tear (e.g., chipped tiles in the bathroom, a stain on the throw pillow, etc.). Nothing major and probably something that would be overlooked by most people. I was purposely looking based on previous reports and based on my experience in May.

I found the food to be much better this past week then in May. However, anytime dining was dreadfully so and we could only make reservations for 5:15 and 8:00; no other options were available. Dining was so slow that we started taking the kids to Club Hal at 7 and going to dinner after that as they could not tolerate 2 hour plus dinners as that's a lot my my DS (4) to handle. I have to assume that it is partially an issue of under staffing as service was snapping on our overnight in Puerto Vallarta when the dining room was only half full. On that night, we were out in an hour from start to finish including all courses. Even when we were seated in the upstairs portion of the dining room one night, service was no faster.

I haven't been on the Monarch in some time, but did travel on her four or four times previously and felt the Oo was in much better condition than what I remembered of the Monarch. The rooms are also much nicer and much larger overall.

I believe the hydropool package was $129 for the week although I'm sure others can answer more accurately.

I can't speak to the Oosterdam prior to 2011, but I don't think you'll find any problems with the ship. I really only had three negatives, which were that the shows never started on time, our room smelled horribly of smoke (first time in 15 cruises), and the slow dining service. None of these were deal breakers, although I may be asking for a deep cleaning of the cabin next time because of the smoke issue. However, this is not a persistent problem of the ship in my opinion since it was not an issue in the SY cabin we had in May.

I sailed to Hawaii on the Oosterdam in October. At that time, the full trip spa hydro package was $299 per couple or $159 per person appx for 2 weeks, one week would be less.

Despite reports, I didn't notice any problems that caused me any real concern. New carpeting was laid in many of the public areas during our cruise. I've not been on the Monarch but I know it is a much older ship used for short cruises. The Oosterdam was in drydock this last fall and she was spruced up then. We cruise on her again in less than 3 weeks, and I am sure she will be in fine shape once again.

I have cruised on the Oosterdam many times as it is the most convenient HAL ship for the West Coast. Because of that, some have labelled me a "cheerleader" and suggest that I have blinders on. I assure you, that is not the case. The Oosterdam is not perfect, nor is any ship I have ever cruised on, but overall we are always pleased with our cruises on her.

I have spent much time prior to cruising on many ships worrying about the CC reports I have read. Most of the time, my opinion and experience has been wonderful on those ships despite previous bad reviews.

Good luck to you and I hope you have a fabulous trip. my advice is take all reviews, both good and bad with a grain of salt, I really think you will be pleasantly surprised!

LocalLady,

Are you on the Feb. 4th sailing too? Good to know about the ability to book the spa for only one person. My husband would never do it and I thought I'd have to pay $300.00 and didn't want to do that.

Darlene

Archived