New to Queens Grill- on Queen Victoria

bonni99

Hello all- I am an old time Cunarder and have been on the Queen Victoria once and have taken the plunge and booked Queens Grill for the Qv transatlantic in March. They were offering good prices and we thought why not!! I am in a Q7.

I have a few questions and having looked over the site cannot find exactly what I am looking for!!

Re the Butler-do they pack and unpack for you? Can you request that?

I HATE unpacking- dont mind packing- as when you are going home you can throw it all back in the case and who cares if it gets crumpled!! :)

Re the drinks bar- do they offer Canadian Club Whiskey does anyone know? My partner really only likes a smoother type bourbon than a lot of Scottish or Irish whiskeys.

Re pre dinner canapes- can anyone tempt me with what these are - and do you have to request them or do they arrive regardless?

Re Queens Grill room service outside of lunch and dinner hours- is this more extensive than the menu in the Britannia cabins?

What goes on in the Queens Grill lounge? (!!) Is it just a bar and a place for afternoon tea? Is it a nice spot for pre dinner drinks?

Last question- we always want a table for two for dinner - we aren't unsociable but our holidays are a great time for just the two of us- when in Britannia on the QV we were at the end of a line of three very closely situated tables which really was like being on a table for 6. Do the Qg tables have numbers like the Britannia? Can anyone suggest a particularly good area for a table for two with not too much through traffic and away from other tables?!!

Oh and do the QG cabins have interactive TV? Last on Qm2 last summer and was very disappointed with the TV and film offerings.

Many thanks!

Bonnie 99

How exciting to be in the Queens Grill, although I cannot answer your questions since I always travel in the lowest cost inside, I do feel your excitment and wish you a really great cruise.

I am looking forward to two cruises this year, a 17 day day and a 24 day, (QV and QM2) so know just how you fell

ENJOY every moment.

Lynn

Here's what I can offer:

Hello all- I am an old time Cunarder and have been on the Queen Victoria once and have taken the plunge and booked Queens Grill for the Qv transatlantic in March. They were offering good prices and we thought why not!! I am in a Q7.

I have a few questions and having looked over the site cannot find exactly what I am looking for!!

I HATE unpacking- dont mind packing- as when you are going home you can throw it all back in the case and who cares if it gets crumpled!! :)

Your butler will do as much or as little as you ask. The publicity says " help with unpacking and packing" but in my experience the butler won't volunteer. Even if you do it yourself, he/she will cetainly tidy up afterwards and put the cases under the bed or elsewhere. So, you are paying for it, just ask for it! Q4 and upwards have a walk in wardobe but even Q7's have plenty of space.

Re the drinks bar- do they offer Canadian Club Whiskey does anyone know? My partner really only likes a smoother type bourbon than a lot of Scottish or Irish whiskeys.

As above, ask for what you want and they are pretty obliging. Also, they will keep your choice of soft drinks and water fully topped up in the fridge.

Re pre dinner canapes- can anyone tempt me with what these are - and do you have to request them or do they arrive regardless?

The standard is half a dozen small, pretty uninteresting bites that turn up late afternoon. You won't get full but might soon get bored. But ask for whatever you want and your man/woman will try to oblige.

Re Queens Grill room service outside of lunch and dinner hours- is this more extensive than the menu in the Britannia cabins?

If you want food, bleep the butler and he'll sort it. It's a bit unfair to expect anything terribly exotic on a whim, but if you give them plenty of warning (or arrange it with the Head Waiter or Maitre d') you can get pretty much anything. Expect to be able to get anything from the QG a la carte or daily menus. Don't forget that you can also dine in your cabin.

What goes on in the Queens Grill lounge? (!!) Is it just a bar and a place for afternoon tea? Is it a nice spot for pre dinner drinks?

Most of the time, not a lot.

There is a concierege there who will try to be helpful with whatever you need to sort or find out. She will also be a source of maps for ports of call and DVD's for the TV in the suite. It isn't terribly big so gets a bit full at times but it is a good place for a pre-dinner or post-dinner drink. The bar staff will immediately recongise you, remember your preferences and you won't need to show your cruise card after the first visit.

During the day it's a nice place to sit and read, possibly with a coffee or a drink. It tends to fill up close to lunchtime and there's an outside chance that you spot the odd "that's my seat" glance, but just ignore it - you're paying for it and you got there first. Equally, you will meet plenty of interesting people from all walks of life there.You can do the afternoon tea routine there the same way as in the Queen's Room; for about 90 minutes a whole different crowd seems to move in, eat then move on. You can also access the private terrace outside from there. If the weather is good it's a great place to relax.

On the last day, it will be your scheduled place to wait to disembark. My tip - go downstairs and wait in the main lobby. The Grills Lounge doesn't have enough seats, some folks get a bit huffy if they don't have one and the lifts get tied up by people on lower floors. Say your goodbyes elsewhere and make your disembarkation easier.

Last question- we always want a table for two for dinner - we aren't unsociable but our holidays are a great time for just the two of us- when in Britannia on the QV we were at the end of a line of three very closely situated tables which really was like being on a table for 6. Do the Qg tables have numbers like the Britannia? Can anyone suggest a particularly good area for a table for two with not too much through traffic and away from other tables?!!

Hmm!, the only area of potential disappointment. You should make your request via your TA and they will try to accomodate. If you want a table by the window, ask for it. The bottom line is that not everything can be accomodated and those who have paid the most have more chance of getting their wishes perfectly met.

If you are in Q1, you will get exactly what you want and the Maitre d' will be politely attentive. If you are last minute Q7, don't expect to have the best seat in the house but the main man and his team will still not ignore you and the experience will still be very good. Whatever you get, the Maitre d' or Head Waiter will have your request on screen when you first turn up, will give you a warm welcome and get you seated. If there are a lot of requests for tables for two, expect to get one but be rather close to another table. That's fine, you can decide whether to make friends or just ignore them (we've taken both approaches).

My recommendation is to ask to be seated either by a window or a wall. That way, you don't have a constant stream of people coming past who turn up later for dinner.Even by the wall, you can still see plenty out of the windows.

Don't forget that the QG menu is very good but you can have pretty much anything you want at no extra charge. Just ask for it. If they have no kangaroo steaks on board, I bet they would try to pick some up at the next port! Don't miss the chance to have food cooked beside your table. You will see others having crepes suzzettes and steak Diane and a dozen other things. It doesn't go on cabin grade, so if something takes your fancy, don't be shy.

And if you enjoy your time in QG, a modest tip at the end is not mandatory but will be quietly and warmly appreciated.

Oh and do the QG cabins have interactive TV? Last on Qm2 last summer and was very disappointed with the TV and film offerings.

No. The TV fare is pretty poor. You can get DVD's from the concierge in the Grills Lounge. Next time, I plan to take a PC full of things to watch and plug it into the back of the TV. The QE has an iPod dock in QG cabins but I'm not sure if QV has got them yet. Our Q4 didn't last June.

Many thanks!

Enjoy the QG experience. It isn't full of the hoity toitly snobs and flash Harrys that most people imagine. Whatever part of the world or side of the tracks you come from, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Chunky is right about the lounge, it's very comfortable to sit but can become small at times.

Having seen the location of the Princess and Queens Grills on QM2, I like the QV Grills MUCH better. We were in the Princess Grill and had a P1 cabin and we had an incredible table beside the window, it was on the diagonal so both of us could sit facing the window. At dinner time we didn't like facing the window because it was dark so we asked for the table to be moved so we could sit facing each other. Every evening after our table was set up the way we liked it, at breakfast and lunch we sat looking out and dinner facing each other.

You will enjoy the Grill and it's the little perks that come with it. The loungers on the upper terrace deck(12) are very comfortable.

I enjoyed afternoon tea in the lounge on a couple of sea days, however it gets crowded before lunch and just before tea time, so arrive early. If the lounge is full for tea, don't get stuck sitting on the sofa in the entrance way, it's the worst place to be seated. I was embarrassed with everyone gawking at us as the entered the lounge. Ask to be seated in your restaurant.

Marie was our concierge and she was excellent.

We have stayed on the QM2 once in a Q5 cabin and it was good. We actually didn't know what to do with the Butler service. He was attentive to the liquor requests and the fridge was kept full of soft drinks and beer too. And he did pick up our mess when we left suits and shoes about the cabin.

The canape's were blah in my opinion. Sort of dry and not too good. The butler was a nice guy from Peru trained in England. His wife also worked on the ship. We had planned out the cruise before going so had our excursions set ahead. The TV did get boring on a previous trip on QM2 to Hawaii. But why watch it? I sort of liked the Queens Room for Tea because it was full of people from everywhere to talk to. The queens lounge did get busy and full before dinner.

We are booked on QV in the Queens Grill this time to Hawaii. Looking forward to having a great trip.

Chunky 2219 has pretty well hit the nail on the head as far as your questions are concerned. We did the TA from Fort Lauderdale to SOTON last March on the QV in QG and I think you will find it a wonderful experience. A couple of additions to Chunky's comments:

In dealing with your butler, you may have to do more than ask and may have to be quite specific as to your desires. Ours was less than attentive, to the point that we even had to mention poor service to the hotel manager. I hope it won't come to that for you.

As for the tables for two, I quite liked the row of three, we have always had very nice companions and have become fast friends with some who occupied tables in those arrangements. If you want to be alone however, there is at least one table for two at each end of the dining room, that is by itself. You could work through your TA if you'd like, but you could also try contacting the QV concierge or the maitre d' on the QV for help with your desired table. They are a year old, but you could try the following e-mails: Concierge: qvhconcg@cunard.co.uk Maitre d': qvhmdhl2@cunard.co.uk . (I think it is an "L", lower case, before the "2" in the Maitre d' address). I did make contact with both and found them most helpful in getting the table I wanted.

Finally, on the disembarkation, we did not go to the Grills Lounge to wait, but went to the Commodore Club instead, where there was a very nice continental breakfast all laid out for the Grills passengers. Hopefully, this is where you will be told to wait and it was much better than on previous crossings where we did have to wait, and stand, in the Grills lounge.

I hope you have a wonderful crossing and good luck in getting your desired table.

There is a good chance you will be upgraded from your Q7!

Have to say, QG on the QV is top class. I love the canapés, my wife hates them. The lounge is fine for a pm tea, partic of you go late - it's busy early on. Hardly used the concierge facility at all other than general q's & a's.

Not done T/A, so it might well be varied but we find the butler service to be bit overrated. One was very helpful, offered to pack etc but we did it ourselves. Another spent all the time angling for a tip and saying how much he wanted to get back home!

The main benefit for us is always the freedom to dine at any time, great menu and always had table for 2, no probs.

Overall, the Grills are what you make of them. A few folks make a big song & dance about it, most are discrete and fairly easy to get along with.

I was in the Grills on QE just before Christmas, my 3rd time after spending time in the Grills on QV.

I discovered that you can get morning coffee around 11am in the lounge which I hadn't been aware of and only found out about on the 21st day of a 23 night cruise.:)

The Butler will bring something different if you don't like canapes, we requested nuts and potato crisps.

2 dumb questions (from someone who has never been in the grills):

I'm a solo traveler and if I was to stay in the grills, would like to sit at a table of 6 or 8 with people who enjoy meeting new people. I can perfectly understand how many couples would like to have a table for 2 so my question is how would the larger tables work? Have people had good experiences or is it a case of generally people wanting a table for 2 but not having enough tables, some will have to share?

My second question is, with a single sitting, how would it work at a shared table? Perhaps I would want to eat at 7 one night and 8pm another; not sure my table companions would want to dine at the same time.

I'm a solo traveler and if I was to stay in the grills, would like to sit at a table of 6 or 8 with people who enjoy meeting new people. I can perfectly understand how many couples would like to have a table for 2 so my question is how would the larger tables work? Have people had good experiences or is it a case of generally people wanting a table for 2 but not having enough tables, some will have to share?

My second question is, with a single sitting, how would it work at a shared table? Perhaps I would want to eat at 7 one night and 8pm another; not sure my table companions would want to dine at the same time.

It seems to work quite well - plenty of solo ravellers about & they tend to placed on the larger tables. Thus, you are likely to find 2 solos plus 2 or 3 couples etc.

I'd say, from my own observations of others, it can be a variable experience. A like minded or generally affable bunch will get along fine.

There are also the "self publicist"/flamboyant/indulgent travellers who love "playing to the audience" as it were on these occasions. That's what some folks cruise for, good luck to them. It's a bit luck of the draw as to how it pans out. It's not my personal choice - a bit of privacy, tranquility & less having to be constantly overwhelmed by the enthusiasm/exuberance of others is the order of the day for me.

Just back from QV and there was a solo traveller who was seated alone at a table for 2 by the window, I never saw her at Lunch but always at dinner. She was Italian and Luis was able to keep her entertained, the staff did chat to her a lot. She had the cabin beside us.

There was a table for 4 near by us and one couple always arrived before 7pm and the other couple always after 8pm. This was never a problem for the staff managed perfectly, both couples just seemed to carry on and not get bothered which course they were on. I doubt you'd have any troubles.

We have stayed on the QM2 once in a Q5 cabin and it was good. We actually didn't know what to do with the Butler service. He was attentive to the liquor requests and the fridge was kept full of soft drinks and beer too. And he did pick up our mess when we left suits and shoes about the cabin.

The canape's were blah in my opinion. Sort of dry and not too good. The butler was a nice guy from Peru trained in England. His wife also worked on the ship. We had planned out the cruise before going so had our excursions set ahead. The TV did get boring on a previous trip on QM2 to Hawaii. But why watch it? I sort of liked the Queens Room for Tea because it was full of people from everywhere to talk to. The queens lounge did get busy and full before dinner.

We are booked on QV in the Queens Grill this time to Hawaii. Looking forward to having a great trip.

The QG on the QV or QM2 is what you make of it. The suites of course are superior, but you have to let the butler know what you need. I like to meet with them early on and request the things we need. Then there is an understanding.

Dining is great! Single travelers are common in the Grills & do fit into a larger table quite well. Sometimes they can be the unique touch to a sailing.

Hello:

My father and I just sailed recently on the QV on the 14 day Christsmas Cruise Dec 21, 2011 to Jan 4, 2012. It was our first Cunard Cruise.

14 day cruise was 10 days of OCEAN and 4 days of HAWAII.

My last 3 cruises were on Regent Seven Seas, so I was VERY nervous about what to expect.

My father and I were in a Q5, Queen's Grille Suite, and ate in the Queen's Grill.

First of all, I LOVED Cunard. Queen Victoria is BEAUTIFUL!!! the crew I met everywhere were WONDERFUL. I would love to sail Cunard again!!!

But I would pick a cruise with more port time----I thought I would like lots of sea days---turns out---I DON'T!!!

Turns out in our suite we had two to service our room. The Butler, who was a nice lady, and an assistant.

The head butler was in charge of everything but the bathroom. The assistant butler was always on her hands and knees cleaning something in the bathroom.....Even if we didn't use it, she cleaned it.!!!

Our head butler had just returned to the ship from her vacation back home in the Phillipines, and literally was just back to work when we met her.

In our cabin upon arrival we met her, and when I just told her I will be happy to just unpack myself and I will unpack for my father, the look she gave was sorta like "Damn right you are gonna unpack yourself!!!" Which is fine by me.

When I asked the first day how to operate the DVD player in the room, she just handed me the instruction book. I guess she was right, but does she not understand men don't read instructions!

She efficiently did her job each day. We stayed outta her way and never asked much from her. She changed the glasses in the bar and kept to fridge stocked with our preferences. She turned down the beds each night while we were at dinner.

Each late afternoon she brought a plate with usually 4 or 5 different little appetizers on a plate. I do NOT have exotic tastes and eat simply at home so such things are weird for me, but maybe not other people. I thought most of it looked bad, smelled like cat or dog food, but I am a gamer and gave most of it a try----I think I hated it all.....Whipped fish in a blender and put on stale bread is not for me !!!

My father and I were assigned table 46 in the Queens Grill. It was there for us every meal we ate---breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I dont think anyone else sat in it for two weeks. A great window seat for 2.

The dining room is kinda small and low ceiling. The tables are tight and together. The neighboring tables are close enough that you feel like you have to acknowledge your neighbors, but if you are lucky, you could end up dining alone----our neighbors always arrived much later than us (we eat early), and we were getting dessert when they were sitting down to their table. Not a lot of forced conversation.

If there is any other aspect about this cruise I hated, was the Lido Restuarant. Hated it !! Big giant place, and it was always CROWDED, and CROWD CONTROL was so poor. It seemed like every man for himself at times. I dreaded going near the place at times.

Other than that, good cruise !!!

Any other questions, please ask

Randy

Many thanks!

Hi Bonnie,

Which crossing are you on? We are on the Eastbound on 16th March.

We are in PG this time, but have stayed in QG a few times too.

The bathrooms in QG are far nicer, with a nice sized walk in shower.

We have always asked for a table for two when booking &, although shoreside Cunard always say it can't be quaranteed, we have always been given one.

We love the lounge for pre dinner drinks & have met many great people in there.

Have a great trip if you are on the WB crooing. If your on ours, we might meet you.

Sharon & Steve

Many of the tables by the window are for two or in rows of two or three and can get a bit lonely unless you want to gaze in to each others eyes for 7 / 14 nights. Some tables by the inside walls have double armchairs / settees for seats which do not look very supportive. Get on a big table and get a pre dinner drinks party going straight away. You will then have the Butlers competing to provide the best pre dinner snacks for your cabin.

Everyone will look at you enviously as you arrive as one group into the Dining Room because its obvious you are having so much fun !!

Many of the tables by the window are for two or in rows of two or three and can get a bit lonely unless you want to gaze in to each others eyes for 7 / 14 nights. Some tables by the inside walls have double armchairs / settees for seats which do not look very supportive. Get on a big table and get a pre dinner drinks party going straight away. You will then have the Butlers competing to provide the best pre dinner snacks for your cabin.

Everyone will look at you enviously as you arrive as one group into the Dining Room because its obvious you are having so much fun !!

Er, maybe, maybe not.

Large tables are definately a bit of a curate's egg. We've watched a group of people having a grand old time, all pitching up at the same time and generally getting on very well. I'm sure that lifelong friendhips were forged. We've also seen and spoken to people who have moved elsewhere in QG because after a couple of days someone on the table started to grate on them just a little too much. On one occasion, the gentleman in question was getting on my wires and we were seated half a restaurant away!

If the OP is interested in a table for 2, that really should be what they go for. The neighbours are not very far away and you can always choose whether to strike up a friendship with anyone within speaking distance or ignore them. DW and I have done both very successfully.

Off topic just a bit, but as a native Kentuckian I am compelled to advise you that bourbon is bourbon. Everything else is just whiskey. We're proud of our heritage and our native brew.

Thank you. Carry on.

So are we!

There's no such thing as "Scottish whiskey".

Stewart

Just looked up a few things. But I still just like sipping some.

Whisky (Scottish or whiskey (Irish English and American English) is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash. Different grains are used for different varieties, including barley, malted barley, rye, malted rye, wheat, and corn. Whisky is aged in wooden casks, made generally of charred white oak. But corn whiskey made in the U.S. need not be aged.

Though whisky's exact origins are unknown, its existence was first documented in Ireland in 1405. Whisky is a strictly regulated spirit worldwide with many classes and types. The typical unifying characteristics of the different classes and types are the fermentation of grains, distillation, and aging in wood. Indian whisky is an exception, wherein grain fermentation is not a requirement and the most common basis is fermented molasses. The wood-aging requirement is also not entirely universal.

Disembarkation lounge's:

Just to clear up the confusion re the disembarkation lounge offering 'continental breakfast'.

The only lounge offering the above is the dedicated disembarkation lounge for the use of Platinum & Diamond world club guests and is usually by invitation only. ( part of their level benefits) Either Britannia or Grill guests who have achieved this level.

The venue (on all three ships) will be indicated in the 'personal pre disembarkation literature' deliverd to the stateroom of the above guests,

One may be asked to produce their key card as a means of identification.

Bell Boy;)

Thank you everyone for your reponses! I emailed the maitre De and received a response within 24 hour advising us he has noted our request for a table for two so fingers crossed!

Hi Sharon- yes we are on the 16th March crossing and as the time gets closer we are getting more and more excited! First time in the Grills and really interested to see how great it is! I know we will be hooked and then it will be back to Britannia for the next trip! :)

Archived