To Tux or Not to Tux? Allure Western Caribbean February

hwfiv

I'm a veteran Cunard passenger taking my first Royal Caribbean trip. On Cunard, you'd be ridiculously out of place without your tuxedo on formal nights. What about on the Allure of the Seas?

I'm happy to take the tux, and I do enjoy wearing it. But it is one more thing to make the suitcase overweight with the airline. So I'd hate to bring it down and find that nobody's really wearing them. On the other hand, I hate being the guy who is under dressed when the occasion calls for formal.

What have you all found? What is the percentage of passengers traveling on the Allure that actual will wear a tux as opposed to a suit or sport coat? (Am definitely bringing both a dark suit and several sport coats, as I would never be caught dead in a dining room without at LEAST a jacket on!) (and yes, that's coming from someone who is under 40!)

Thanks for the help! If the stupid airlines weren't so strict, I'd just throw it in, but the more I take, the more I have to pay for in baggage fees!

I'm a veteran Cunard passenger taking my first Royal Caribbean trip. On Cunard, you'd be ridiculously out of place without your tuxedo on formal nights. What about on the Allure of the Seas?

I'm happy to take the tux, and I do enjoy wearing it. But it is one more thing to make the suitcase overweight with the airline. So I'd hate to bring it down and find that nobody's really wearing them. On the other hand, I hate being the guy who is under dressed when the occasion calls for formal.

What have you all found? What is the percentage of passengers traveling on the Allure that actual will wear a tux as opposed to a suit or sport coat? (Am definitely bringing both a dark suit and several sport coats, as I would never be caught dead in a dining room without at LEAST a jacket on!) (and yes, that's coming from someone who is under 40!)

Thanks for the help! If the stupid airlines weren't so strict, I'd just throw it in, but the more I take, the more I have to pay for in baggage fees!

You will be just fine in your suit or tie and sport coat on formal night on ANY RCI ship. :) You will likely be dressed up more than most in either too.

A suit is what I would wear. I have never seen people in tux's on any of my rccl cruises.

I find this hard to believe as I have always seen plenty of men in their tuxes. There are lots of of men in suits or tie and sports coats, along with more casual dress, but there are still a nice amount who wear a tux. I think you will fit in regardless of whether you bring your tux or not.

We were on the Allure in December. Only about 10% in tux or dinner jacket. Many more jackets than suits. Many without ties on formal nights. With the weight restrictions from the airlines cruising has become much much more casual. This is especially true in warm climate cruises with the majority of passengers from the USA. Even the women are leaving the gowns at home and wearing short dresses or 'pants' with sparkle tops.

If you want to travel light - leave the tux and accessories at home.

I was considering renting a tux when I went on the Allure in June. I decided against it, and instead brought two nice shirt/tie combos to wear for formal night. There were definitely people in tux's and also a lot of people in jackets, but I did not feel out of place without either.

We will be on the Allure in Feb also...DH takes his tux because its a great opportunity to get dressed up and feel like we are having a special evening out. Other cruises we have taken there are a mix of suits, shirts, and tuxes. So we just go about our business and have a great evening. We take one hanging bag for the two of us for our dress clothes and each takes a suitcase for all the other stuff (shorts, pants, shirts, swimwear, etc). Seems to work for us. Have a nice cruise with whatever you choose.

On the sister ship, Oasis, we saw quite a lot of people wearing tuxes. I think you would be fine in a suit, but with all the wonderful options and locations for formal photos, you may want to toss the tux in the suitcase and enjoy, especially if you like dressing up!

Ditto on that. If you like taking photos, dress up. I didn't the last cruise and wish I had. Taking my new tux on the allure this june.

Our crew always wear our tuxes on formal night in the MDR or a specialty restaurant. But its really a personal preference. And quite frankly I don't see how one tux will put your baggage over the weight limit??? Then again try to fly Southwest whenever possible bags fly free:)...K.O. Near Philly

Thats funny have been on over 20 RC cruises and have never "not seen" men wearing tuxes on formal night????:confused:...K.O. Near Philly...

I haven't been on over 20 but I have also never "not seen" tuxes on formal nights. I sometimes wear one sometimes not.

Oh please.

This is Royal Caribbean.

You may be out of place in a tux.

You'll fit in nicely in a suit.

Long-sleeved shirt is fine too.

I've seen people in jeans.

Agree 100%. Be comfortable. The great majority of those who wear the black and white monkey suits hurry back to their cabins and change asap after dinner. You don't need to play the game.

Archived