What kind of shoes for snorkeling/touring around island/cruise?

cransplash

I feel silly asking this question...

I have my Reef flip flops (love them) that I usually live in during the summer months. However, they're not the most comfortable to do long walks in.

We are aboard RCI's Oasis of the Seas going to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. We are considering these shore excursions- sightseeing (potentially lots of walking...), snorkeling, and possibly a bike ride tour.

What sandals/shoes do you wear? It'd be great if I can find a sandal that can meet all the criteria I listed. I do have a pair of Keens, but they're not the most fashion-forward. I want to look good in my pictures (and I love shoes)! :)

I was also thinking I should pick up a pair of Tevas (DH is wearing his) or a pair of Chacos?

Any suggestions would be great.

I wear my flip-flops for almost everything...mine are comfy.....the only time I wouldn't would be if major hiking in rough terrain was involved. I would NOT wear flip flops of any kind in the water....very unstable and slippery with water between foot and rubber shoe!

I'm sounding like a broken record, I fear. I've recommended this sandal/shoe many times. Take a look a the Jambu Water Diva. I've had 2 pair for 3 years and I've taken them on cruises and land trips. I think they look pretty sweet for a pair of sandals that can get soaking wet. I even used my black pair as my "dress" shoes when I went to Europe - I didn't feel out of place at all with them paired with my little black traveler's dress (I got from Sahalie years ago).

I have Merrells similar to these.1025881-5-2x.jpg

I love them! But they are not fashion-forward. They are very comfortable, and they can go in the water (and have). Still, not very sexy (espcially in a size 11).

Robin

They're not very sexy, but they just LOOK so comfy. I'd take a go at something like these... I've been looking at different comfort sandals. I'm usually a wedges and flip-flops kind of girl. That they can go in the water is awesome!

I'm going to have to go the Merrell route. I didn't want to spend the money on sandals that I probably won't wear much at home, but for my comfort, I think I'll have to. :D

• 2 weeks later...
check out landsend overstocks they have some for as low as $10.

Wow - thanks for the tip! I have been searching for a good water shoe (kind of hard to find water shoes in Indiana stores in the middle of winter :rolleyes:) - Landsend overstock had exactly what I was looking for, at a great price, plus I found a promo code for free shipping...what a great deal I got! Thanks again! :)

When on my recent south pacific cruise we needed shoes that could walk through water in to get to a waterfall and shoes to wear snorkeling as the coral was quite shallow and we had to climb down rocks to get into the water.

I looked for decent water shoes but it was the wrong time of year. In the end i went to a known cheap shoe store and bought a pair of white canvas shoes for like $12. There were light, slipped on, and when i was done and they were still wet i just threw them out.

simple

I feel silly asking this question...

I have my Reef flip flops (love them) that I usually live in during the summer months. However, they're not the most comfortable to do long walks in.

We are aboard RCI's Oasis of the Seas going to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. We are considering these shore excursions- sightseeing (potentially lots of walking...), snorkeling, and possibly a bike ride tour.

What sandals/shoes do you wear? It'd be great if I can find a sandal that can meet all the criteria I listed. I do have a pair of Keens, but they're not the most fashion-forward. I want to look good in my pictures (and I love shoes)! :)

I was also thinking I should pick up a pair of Tevas (DH is wearing his) or a pair of Chacos?

Any suggestions would be great.

Just a comment about shoes for biking. We are looking at a bike tour in one of the islands and they do say to wear closed toe shoes. Don't know if they have a "shoe police"!

Wow - thanks for the tip! I have been searching for a good water shoe (kind of hard to find water shoes in Indiana stores in the middle of winter :rolleyes:) - Landsend overstock had exactly what I was looking for, at a great price, plus I found a promo code for free shipping...what a great deal I got! Thanks again! :)

I saw the water shoes on Land's End--and would like to order them--but don't like the shipping price. Please, how did you get free shipping!!??

I saw the water shoes on Land's End--and would like to order them--but don't like the shipping price. Please, how did you get free shipping!!??

For free shipping, use the code newoxford, pin 2461. :D

(hint - I always go to the website: retail me not dot com, and type in whoever I'm shopping with - I have saved a lot on shipping!)

Whichever you choose be sure to give them a good wearing before your trip. I've seen lots of big, ugly blisters on folks. I always carry bandaids and have come to several peoples aid while in port.:(

Aaahhhh - good advice, it actually hadn't occurred to me! My water shoes arrived today; they fit perfectly and feel comfortable, but you are right - I do need to wear them around the house this weekend...don't need blisters on the cruise for sure. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
check out landsend overstocks they have some for as low as $10.

I just received the water shoes I bought from Land's End. They fit well (I ordered my regular size) and I think they will do for the ship gym (so I don't have to lug my big old gym/walking shoes.(Tried them out at my local gym today with socks on.) The price was right $12 and I got free shipping--look on:

retailmenot dot com for the code for shipping. Thanks for the heads up on this!

I just received the water shoes I bought from Land's End. They fit well (I ordered my regular size) and I think they will do for the ship gym (so I don't have to lug my big old gym/walking shoes.(Tried them out at my local gym today with socks on.) The price was right $12 and I got free shipping--look on:

retailmenot dot com for the code for shipping. Thanks for the heads up on this!

Glad it worked out for you - love a bargain!!! :D

Archived