What kind of Coffee does NCL serve?

ilsteelergrl

Ok, I know this probably has been asked before but I can't find it.

What kind of coffee does NCL (I am cruising POA) Serve. Does POA have a Starbucks on the Ship?//

Thank you so much:D

Starbucks? I wish...but: my name is video tech and I'm a Starbucks addict. :)

I can't speak specifically about POA, but all the other ships have European automatic coffee machines that grind the beans and make a brew that's about halfway between bad instant and fairly good coffee - depending on how fresh the beans are, and how recently the coffee machine has been cleaned and the settings checked.

The best coffee on the ships, IMO, is served in Cagney's, where you get french press style brewing, with pre-ground beans from individually sealed packets. Unfortunately, they never seem to use hot enough water for my taste, but it's close enough to what I prefer.

If you sail in a penthouse suite and above, on most ships, you'll have your own Lavazza espresso machine. Those are great!

Others like the espresso drinks served at the coffee bars, but since I'm a regular coffee drinker, I don't sample a lot of those.

A funny thing I've always noticed on NCL. The coffee is just ho-hum in the Garden Cafe, but very good in the MDR's. Is it just the tablecloths that make the coffee taste better? Or maybe it's the uniformed waitstaff granting my every wish. Hmmmmmmmmm?

Have you tried the Starbucks "Via" instant coffee, it is almost as good as their fresh brewed stuff and easy to pack along on a cruise? I used to pack ground coffee & filters with me until they came out with the "Via". Several varieties available, french roast is my fave.

Searching for Good Cruise Coffee - Cruises - Cruise Critic

Norwegian Cruise Line

star2.bmpWhere to Find the Good Stuff: NCL has dedicated coffee bar locations, commonly found in the atriums, on all of its ships. These feature frozen coffee drinks and flavored coffees, plus the usual specialty coffee drinks using freshly ground beans for each cappuccino and espresso. The price for a latte or cappuccino is $2.50. As part of NCL's Freestyle 2.0 initiative, all Java Cafes began offering premium Italian coffee by Lavazza in June 2008.

star2.bmpNice Touch: Free espresso in the dining rooms and through room service. On Norwegian Jade, Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Gem and Pride of America (plus future new-builds), self-service cappuccino and espresso is available, free of charge, in the buffet restaurants and the ships' 24-hour eatery. All top suites also offer Lavazza coffee products.

star2.bmpOn the Other Hand: Norwegian is the only cruise line that serves different coffee on different ships: The line's U.S.-flagged Pride of America brews up Sara Lee Kona Coffee, whereas the remainder of the fleet uses Folgers Columbian Blend in the dining room, on the lido deck and for room service.

On Epic last year we had a little coffeemaker.(very average coffee kinda tasted like maxwell)...we'd start on that and then roof service coffee would there. Room service coffee was decent, Coffee in some of the specialty restaurants was very decent . Best coffee of all , if you are in a suite, is from the free Lavazza machine....OH MY! Makes great tea too! That echoed my trip on Star this year...as far coffee goes.

Searching for Good Cruise Coffee - Cruises - Cruise Critic

Norwegian Cruise Line

star2.bmpWhere to Find the Good Stuff: NCL has dedicated coffee bar locations, commonly found in the atriums, on all of its ships. These feature frozen coffee drinks and flavored coffees, plus the usual specialty coffee drinks using freshly ground beans for each cappuccino and espresso. The price for a latte or cappuccino is $2.50. As part of NCL's Freestyle 2.0 initiative, all Java Cafes began offering premium Italian coffee by Lavazza in June 2008.

star2.bmpNice Touch: Free espresso in the dining rooms and through room service. On Norwegian Jade, Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Gem and Pride of America (plus future new-builds), self-service cappuccino and espresso is available, free of charge, in the buffet restaurants and the ships' 24-hour eatery. All top suites also offer Lavazza coffee products.

star2.bmpOn the Other Hand: Norwegian is the only cruise line that serves different coffee on different ships: The line's U.S.-flagged Pride of America brews up Sara Lee Kona Coffee, whereas the remainder of the fleet uses Folgers Columbian Blend in the dining room, on the lido deck and for room service.

This information is out of date. Free espresso in the dining rooms, buffets, etc was eliminated a while ago...probably about two years.

It's likely that at least some of the information in this post is also now incorrect.

This information is out of date. Free espresso in the dining rooms, buffets, etc was eliminated a while ago...probably about two years.

It's likely that at least some of the information in this post is also now incorrect.

I agree, the espresso information in this post is incorrect. We were on the Jade in Feb. 2011 and the Pride of America in December. There is a charge for espresso drinks in the dining rooms and no self serve expresso machines in the buffets. Both ships had coffee bars that served ok espresso. I'm thinking the price of the espresso drinks was in the $5.00 range.

Have you tried the Starbucks "Via" instant coffee, it is almost as good as their fresh brewed stuff and easy to pack along on a cruise? I used to pack ground coffee & filters with me until they came out with the "Via". Several varieties available, french roast is my fave.

I totally forgot about this, thank you so much I just added this too my list of things too take. Thank you

I'd agree about the Starbucks "Via" instant. It's in my suitcase now on all my trips...I use it a lot in hotels where the provided coffee in the room is swill, but with my Via instant and hot water, I'm fine.

I am an admitted coffee snob and find Garden Cafe coffee on NCL unpalatable. I second the suggestion of Via Instant Starbucks.

Norwegian is the only cruise line that serves different coffee on different ships: The line's U.S.-flagged Pride of America brews up Sara Lee Kona Coffee, whereas the remainder of the fleet uses Folgers Columbian Blend in the dining room, on the lido deck and for room service.

Never been on POA but that's a nice touch! I don't like Kona coffee either but at least it's not Folger or Maxwell. bleh

We bring the via packets too.

My only problem with them is that the mugs in the buffet are too small to use the whole packet (or it is too strong for me personally)

So I keep thinking I should bring a travel mug but I haven't yet.

But I have not found a free cup of coffee on NCL that was decent enough for me to stop bringing the Via.

Haven't sailed in a suite yet so don't know about the french press at Cagney's breakfast or the Lavazza machine in the room.

Archived