Fam of 5 (3 kids)-first time cruisers-europe

tsuds

Greetings! We are a family of 5, including 3 daughters (ages 14, 10, and 7). We are planning a 3 wk European vacation this summer, and would like to include a 10-12 day western Mediterranean cruise. We are cruise "virgins", and the vetting process has been a bit overwhelming.

Does the typical balcony cabin accommodate 5, or would we need two cabins? Any suggestions about a specific cruise, cruise line or ship?

Thanks in advance for the hand holding!

tsuds

The only balcony cabins that accommodate five are on the Celebrity Millennium (M) class ships, which have FV (Family Verandah cabins) all the way aft. they have huge balconies. Celebrity S class have family cabins all the way forward that accommodate five, but the balconies are smaller and not really usable while underway, due to wind. If you can afford two cabins, Celebrity S class has connecting cabins that have outer doors that close, forming a vestibule, so you can leave your cabin doors open. Another advantage is you get two bathrooms...With three daughters...EM

I would not put five persons in any cabin, unless the kids are all under age 10. Even the family cabins on Celebrity have only one bathroom, and you're not going to like sharing one tiny bathroom for 10 to 12 days. I suggest getting one cabin for the kids and one for the adults. But, you will have to make certain the kid's cabin is directly across, or next door, from your cabin---it's a cruise line rule or else one adult would have to be in the cabin with the kids.

Don't worry about the ship, as Med cruises are very port intensive and you'll be off the ship more than you'll be on. Just look at the various itineraries out there and make your decision based on the ports you want to see. Then look at the ships.

I would also recommend 2 cabins. Five people in one tiny bathroom would be a problem. You may want to talk to a travel agent that specializes in cruises to help you narrow your choices.

Western Med is usually Italy, France and Spain, with sometimes the Adriatic countries. Some lines have about 12 day cruises one way between Venice and Barcelona.

Welcome to CC,

I had my core family of 5 plust extended family on a 12 day Med a few years ago. Depending on budget and what you require/desire too many cabin scenarios. The med is all about ports and excursions depending on sense of adventure, energy and style could easily run you just a few tens of euros to a couple hundred euros per person / port. So if it comes down to budget of excursions or cabin don't skiimp on the excursions as food/service will all be the same and views on the Med are mixed.

We went all inside and got upgraded to a partial view. If I had to do it over again I'd have taken a downgrade and used the money for spending money. There were no views we felt were worth it nor would have paid. With no budget constraints I'd get one inside triple and one balcony with the kids booked with each parent and than switch once on board to parents in the balcony.

Do research the ports and look hard at private tour operators as that is the way to go, or DIY.

Of all the cruises we loved the Princess Grand Med lineup, YMMV. Pick the line/ship that has the ports you want and be aware that some ports are a good 60-90' away by car/train to the main attractions.

Happy planning!

Greetings! We are a family of 5, including 3 daughters (ages 14, 10, and 7). We are planning a 3 wk European vacation this summer, and would like to include a 10-12 day western Mediterranean cruise. We are cruise "virgins", and the vetting process has been a bit overwhelming.

Does the typical balcony cabin accommodate 5, or would we need two cabins? Any suggestions about a specific cruise, cruise line or ship?

tsuds

Hello,

You are a wonderful parent as well as a very wise one, because you are willing to take your children on a trip like you have planned.

First, get all of the family involved, even the 7 year old. Tell them that this is an adventure and you need their help. Further, that you do not have all the answers, as mos tkids think their mom knows everything. Look at brochues, talk to friends who have cruised and find a really good travel agent.

Second, I would look at cruises that sail from Barcelona. This is a great city for many reasons, and one of which is that there is a lot to see and do here. And there are American restaurants here such the Hard Rock and McDonalds. Others will respond here that you should not go to Barcelona to eat American food but you have three kids who might like to have a bit of home on their vacation. Barcelona also has a wide range of decently priced hotels, a port that is easily accessible, and a major airport. Remember though that Barcelona is not an inexpensive city.

Do not overpack. Some ships have self laundries so you do not have to weigh yourself down with lots of and heavy luggage.

Venice is another good port, but I would stay in Mestre. The Best Western Mestre is right across the street from a McDonalds and the train station. Venice is very expensive but Mestre is reasonable, with inexpensive trains to Venice.

Do not hesitate with your questions...no matter how trivial the questions may seem to you.

Third, some ships have family cabins...and if you can't find one of these, I agree with the previous poster who advised you to have two cabins.

tsuds

I agree with others who suggest 2 cabins. Yes, it makes it much more expensive, but I just can't imagine having 5 people in one small cabin. Instead, try to go for connecting cabins. When we cruised with our kids last year, we got a balcony for ourselves, and booked the inside cabin directly across the hall for our kids. That way we could all enjoy the balcony, but we kept the cost down a bit -- and we had 2 bathrooms. Plus, it is nice to have some "adult time" now and then! Put the kids to bed in their own room.;)

We are going to be on the Carnival Breeze on the 6/27/12 sailing. Very excited about the itineray, because it has 2 overnights which are not really that common as far as I know. We stay overnight in Rome and in Venice, which allows much more time to experience these ports. The ship looks like it is going to have an awesome water park, which your kids will love. Plus there is a 5D theater (pretty sure this will have a fee) which sounds cool. The ship sails from Barcelona, a city that someone else has already recommended to you.

Have fun!

Becky

• 4 weeks later...

We have just booked the Breeze fro this summer and we have 2 kids. We booked 2 adjoining Cove balconies, as it was not much more than 1 balcony cabin, and we get 2 washrooms and no kids sleeping over our head. We did this last time we cruised and like our own little room. Our kids are 6 and 8 so we can't put them across the hall yet.

Archived