Anyone taken the Princess Arizona and Mighty Mo tour?

JLDMED

I have reserved this tour for our upcoming cruise. Our trip leaves at 7:30, with a published return time of 1:30. Is this return time set in stone, or is there a possibility that I will not return by then?

The reason I ask is that I want to take another tour in the afternoon, possibly a luau or trip to Huanama Bay.

Any insight?

We did several years ago and did not return on time. We thought by taking an early tour like this to see the Arizona we would beat the crowds. No way. We probably waited for a good 2 hours at Pearl Harbor visitor center on shore before we could take the boat over to the Arizona. And like any other tour there are always those who don't get back to the bus on time so we were waiting an extra 20 minutes for a few stragglers. And then when we got to the Missouri it was basically self guided and the tour operator asked everyone to be back at the bus by a certain time. Needless to say the straggerls were even later. We were a bit an hour twenty minutes late when we got back to the ship. While I don't have specifics I know you can take a city bus to Pearl Harbor and probably have a more enjoyable experience for a much cheaper price.

Enjoy your cruise.

we went to Honolulu almost 25 years ago. We were on a land based trip. We signed up for a city tour that included Pearl harbor and the Arizona. We were picked up by the but at 6:30 am. We drove straight to Pearl Harbor and were told to run to the line for the Arizona, which we did. The tour guide went and purchased the tickets. we were there before 7 am and were the second group in line. They said that if we hadn't made it then, it could gave been 2 hours or more to get in.

This tour operator knew the ropes and it worked. Of course, the guide got the tickets for us, which helped a lot.

It sounds like little has changed. I would advise taking the earliest tour you could get. Make sure they go to Pearl first and make sure you run like hell to get into the line:D

The tour to the Arizona is run by the National Parks Service and there are no pre-reservations. First come, first served. We took a ship's tour and our guide got all the tickets, but then we were on our own waiting for the tour number to be called. It took a while, but not an unreasonable time, during which we bought a snack and toured the outside area toward the harbor, which gives an overview of where all the ships were on Dec 7 1941. It is worth looking at these displays.

If we were on our own there was a sub to tour just next door, and the Missouri is across the harbor from the Arizona tour center (same side as the Arizona itself).

Being on the platform above the Arizona can be an emotional experience - it was for us.

The reason I ask is that I want to take another tour in the afternoon, possibly a luau or trip to Huanama Bay.

Any insight?

If you want to see Huanama Bay I would go in the morning. The afternoon will be really crowded. Also if you go to Pearl Harbor, you are not allowed to bring any bags, including purses, in with you.

I went during a slow time for tourism in early December & took The Bus ($2.50/pp/ow) which is a 10-15 minute walk from the pier but only a few minutes walk to PH. We arrived about 10:00 & were on the tender by 10:30 but that was because it was a slow time of year. Others take a cab (about $30) to get there quickly & then take The Bus back to the ship. Princess hopefully schedules enough time between tours realizing that early tours may be late. It may be too much trying to take a tour to Hanauma Bay which in the past was closed on certain days. It could be more relaxing to take a cab to PH to experience the AZ Memorial & Missouri independently & return on The Bus which you could take to Waikiki if you want. Then go to the luau at night which would still be a very busy day on Oahu even without Hanauma Bay. None of this may be what you care to do but just some suggestions based on our experiences.

If you haven't viewed the Hawaii ports board there is a lot of good info there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

I went during a slow time for tourism in early December & took The Bus ($2.50/pp/ow) which is a 10-15 minute walk from the pier but only a few minutes walk to PH. We arrived about 10:00 & were on the tender by 10:30 but that was because it was a slow time of year. Others take a cab (about $30) to get there quickly & then take The Bus back to the ship.
We had a similar experience to you, except that we took a taxi there and The Bus back. The taxi actually worked out real well for us. We shared a 7 passenger van taxi, and it came out to $5 per person. We arrived at the Memorial at 8AM, and were given tour tickets for 8:15AM. After the tour, we spent time in the new museum, and wandered the grounds. Then we took The Bus back, and were in downtown Honolulu by 11:30AM.

Might I make a suggestion? This is a tour you can easily and more affordably do on your own, setting your own time frame. The morning we arrived in Honolulu, the all clear was called just minutes after our 7 a.m. docking time and we were at the door ready to walk off. We went right out, caught a waiting cab (they are lined up right when you exit) and were at Pearl Harbor by 7:30 a.m. There was already a long line that had formed, but we hopped immediately in line and it moved quickly. We were able to get an entrance ticket for the 9:30 a.m. shuttle. Keep in mind, we were already at Pearl Harbor when the buses for the ship's tour were still gathering guests and getting ready to leave the dock. The ship's tours did not show up until nearly an hour after we had arrived. Since everyone waits in the same line and their is no priority, they all received much later tour times. Perhaps while you are waiting they take you over the Mighty Mo, but if that is the way they do it it definitely limits your time at that amazing monument.

Before our 9:30 tour we had time to tour the grounds around Pearl Harbor, visit the museum and purchase a couple of items at the gift store. Our tour to the Monument was called promptly at 9:30 a.m., so by 10:30 a.m. we had really seen everything we wanted to see. Our friends from the ship who came with the ship's tour were still waiting around. We then did a brief tour through the USS Bowfin and then headed to see the Mighty Mo. This was just an amazing tour. I can't say enough wonderful things about it. You do not want to get rushed through because the sense of history it evokes is awe inspiring.

We did the guided tour which is a must and spent about two hours there. By the time it was nearly 1 p.m. and we were ready to leave. We had spent a wonderful morning, controlled our own timeline and spent less than the cost for four of us through the ship's excursions. And best of all, we still had our entire afternoon and evening ahead to do other things that interested us.

Something you might want to consider as it is so easy to do this on your own.

If the wait for the Arizona Memorial is two hours' date=' is there shade? Or does one wait in the sun? I am asking because I burn easily.

Thanks in advance, everyone.[/quote']

About a year ago the greatly enlarged visitor's center was opened & I'd estimate it's now about 3 times as large. As I recall, everything was covered except for the short walk to the covered waiting area for the tender to the Arizona Memorial. When I went in December 2010 just before the official opening of the new visitor's center, the theater showing a movie about the attack wasn't completed yet so I am not aware if it's like the old center where your group is led to the theater before going to the tender. I have researched the attack a lot & found the movie "Tora, Tora, Tora" to be historically accurate. I enjoy the history of places I travel & just like the Panama Canal enjoy learning about the history prior to arriving.

Based on those who have shared their experiences to get a taxi immediately upon arrival at the pier to PH, that appears to be the best option. A more thorough way to visit the Memorial & being able to choose either a self guided or guided tour of the Mighty Mo. Then either take a cab to the ship or ride The Bus which could take you to Waikiki or like my wife to the large Ala Moana shopping center. ;)

For anyone going to the Port of LA in the future, the USS Iowa which is the same class of battleship as the Missouri is scheduled to open next year for tours. Although if like my old carrier the Midway in SD, bureaucratic delays extended it's opening by several years. :(

About a year ago the greatly enlarged visitor's center was opened & I'd estimate it's now about 3 times as large. As I recall, everything was covered except for the short walk to the covered waiting area for the tender to the Arizona Memorial. When I went in December 2010 just before the official opening of the new visitor's center, the theater showing a movie about the attack wasn't completed yet so I am not aware if it's like the old center where your group is led to the theater before going to the tender. I have researched the attack a lot & found the movie "Tora, Tora, Tora" to be historically accurate. I enjoy the history of places I travel & just like the Panama Canal enjoy learning about the history prior to arriving.

Thanks so much for the great info about the new visitors' center. Fantastic!

If the wait for the Arizona Memorial is two hours' date=' is there shade? Or does one wait in the sun? I am asking because I burn easily.

Thanks in advance, everyone.[/quote']There is no need to just "wait" for your tour time. You are free to explore the 2 fabulous museums (both are indoors and air conditioned), as well as the beautifully landscaped grounds. When it's time for your tour, just head over to the Theater building. There is a shaded waiting area there:

5396370258_e66e18dede_z.jpg

USS Arizona Memorial by Jasperdo, on Flickr

After the film, you board boats that take you over to the USS Arizona. These are fully shaded:

5398215159_a9ce6a200c_z.jpg

USS Arizona Memorial by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Will a taxi fit 5 passengers in Honolulu ?

Thanks in advance.

There are many van type 7 passenger taxis in Honolulu. We took one from the ship over to the USS Arizona Memorial. The fare (in Jan. 2011) was $35, tip included. It came out to $5 a person.

Might I make a suggestion? This is a tour you can easily and more affordably do on your own, setting your own time frame. The morning we arrived in Honolulu, the all clear was called just minutes after our 7 a.m. docking time and we were at the door ready to walk off. We went right out, caught a waiting cab (they are lined up right when you exit) and were at Pearl Harbor by 7:30 a.m. There was already a long line that had formed, but we hopped immediately in line and it moved quickly. We were able to get an entrance ticket for the 9:30 a.m. shuttle. Keep in mind, we were already at Pearl Harbor when the buses for the ship's tour were still gathering guests and getting ready to leave the dock. The ship's tours did not show up until nearly an hour after we had arrived. Since everyone waits in the same line and their is no priority, they all received much later tour times. Perhaps while you are waiting they take you over the Mighty Mo, but if that is the way they do it it definitely limits your time at that amazing monument.

Before our 9:30 tour we had time to tour the grounds around Pearl Harbor, visit the museum and purchase a couple of items at the gift store. Our tour to the Monument was called promptly at 9:30 a.m., so by 10:30 a.m. we had really seen everything we wanted to see. Our friends from the ship who came with the ship's tour were still waiting around. We then did a brief tour through the USS Bowfin and then headed to see the Mighty Mo. This was just an amazing tour. I can't say enough wonderful things about it. You do not want to get rushed through because the sense of history it evokes is awe inspiring.

We did the guided tour which is a must and spent about two hours there. By the time it was nearly 1 p.m. and we were ready to leave. We had spent a wonderful morning, controlled our own timeline and spent less than the cost for four of us through the ship's excursions. And best of all, we still had our entire afternoon and evening ahead to do other things that interested us.

Something you might want to consider as it is so easy to do this on your own.

How did you get from the Arizona to the Missouri, and then back to the dock? Taxi's?

How did you get from the Arizona to the Missouri, and then back to the dock? Taxi's?

From the Arizona's visitor's center it's a short walk to the tram that takes you to Ford Island. You have the option to see the Missouri and/or a small aviation museum near the base of the original Ford Island control tower. The runways have been replaced by military housing. Near the submarine Bowfin is where you purchase the tickets where you can also pay to see the sub & another museum.

You can take a taxi back to your ship or The Bus.

we went to Honolulu almost 25 years ago. We were on a land based trip. We signed up for a city tour that included Pearl harbor and the Arizona. We were picked up by the but at 6:30 am. We drove straight to Pearl Harbor and were told to run to the line for the Arizona, which we did. The tour guide went and purchased the tickets. we were there before 7 am and were the second group in line. They said that if we hadn't made it then, it could gave been 2 hours or more to get in.

This tour operator knew the ropes and it worked. Of course, the guide got the tickets for us, which helped a lot.

It sounds like little has changed. I would advise taking the earliest tour you could get. Make sure they go to Pearl first and make sure you run like hell to get into the line:D

There is no admission charge for the Arizona Memorial museum, movie, or shuttle ride to the monument. Yes, the line can get very long to get a ticket for the shuttle run. Please be aware that no purses, fanny packs, backpacks, camera bags, etch are allowed in the National Park. There is a pay for use locker set up next to the Memorial.

This is a link for a little known fact about the Memorial and Elvis Presley:

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2011/03/elvis_presley_pearl_harbor_ben.html

Enjoy your time there. It is absolutely a moving experience.

Renee

This may be redundant, but we just got off of the Jan 4 sailing and did this tour. Absolutely fantastic! No lines though I think the 7:30 departure, in addition to the new visitor center, had much to do with that. Our tour guide from Roberts Hawai'i was amazing. His name was Nick and he really made the tour! Very knowledgeable and entertaining. He took us to the Punchbowl afterward (not part of the tour), so we did not get back to the ship until about 3 o'clock. It was worth it though. Very touching and he had wonderful stories.

A word of caution: Do not take ANYTHING you cannot fit into your pockets. Security comes onboard the coach and there are no bags of any kind permitted, even purses or small packs. Bring your cruise card, credit card, camera (cameras need not fit into your pockets) and maybe some cash. If security finds bags, they will make you store them at the facility and that takes valuable time away from the tour and you will draw the ire of your fellow passengers.

Also eat a good breakfast. If you have diabetes, prepare to visit the snack counter at the Missouri (or bring snacks that fit into your pockets) and there is a snack place at the Visitor Center (Arizona). The tour moves quickly (though not at the expense of information or visitation time) at the Missouri and if you forget to make sure to take some nourishment, you may wind up really hungry. There is not much time between visiting the Missouri and your time slot for the Arizona.

With all that said, I highly recommend this tour. You may be able to do it more cheaply on your own, but I promise you, you will not have the seamless experience and someone to answer your questions. Additionally, in your haste, you may miss things that the tour guide will make sure you see and understand.

Have a great cruise!

Hi

We did the Princess Arizona/Mighty Mo tour on the Christmas cruise last month. It was very enjoyable but lasted longer than published. The tour left about 8.30 am but we were not scheduled for the film in the theatre until 1.15 so the coach driver toured around somewhat before he took us to the Missouri. In actual fact the driver took us to the Supreme Court Building where we saw Kamehameha's Statue - this actually saved us walking there (we are Hawaii 5-O fans!!). He also took us up to the Punchbowl where the National Cemetery is - and although we couldn't get out of the coach it was interesting to see.

There is plenty to see at the Memorial Park and we hope the sun will be shining for you as it was for us. If you do the trip on your own you MUST get there early. Only so many tickets are issued each day for the Arizona memorial. There were some disappointed people the day we were there as the signs said "Closed".

As others have advised you - bags are not allowed and the coach will be searched - you aren't even allowed to take a bag and leave it on the coach - as our driver kept repeating "the coach will be searched" - one or two passengers just couldn't get the idea!! Then there was the passenger who went to the bag depository and then went shopping instead of returning to the coach!!

It's a memorable place and we hope you enjoy your visit and your cruise.

Best wishes

Happy2golf

Without mentioning the tour operator, this is what I did the last time I visited. Got picked up before the place opened, listened to a radio broadcast of the attack on the way over, arrived and queued before the place opened, was in the first group over - IMO the only way to do it unless you like waiting in lines.

This may be redundant, but we just got off of the Jan 4 sailing and did this tour. Absolutely fantastic! No lines though I think the 7:30 departure, in addition to the new visitor center, had much to do with that. Our tour guide from Roberts Hawai'i was amazing. His name was Nick and he really made the tour! Very knowledgeable and entertaining. He took us to the Punchbowl afterward (not part of the tour), so we did not get back to the ship until about 3 o'clock. It was worth it though. Very touching and he had wonderful stories.

Thanks so much! So glad to hear of the great time! Thanks for sharing.

Archived