Have you ever added up the amount of people on all RCI ships??? :)

Verfai

Will, you were correct in your counting. All those other lines are part of Carnival Corp, not Carnival Cruise line. There's a difference. Yes, RCI is the biggest cruise line in terms of passengers.

Woohoo!!!! Go RCI! :D :p

While unrealistic, a think getting all RC ships together at the same time for a group photo would be cool. You know, like an armada.

I supposed one could try with Photoshop.

Now you have a good idea for an ad campaign. A great advertising company could pull off something like this and make people want to be one of that "exclusive" group of people.

Who needs the sea to call them? All of those people can't be wrong. :)

Gina

If they ( the ships) got in line ....... the line would be 4.156 miles long ( 6.68km)....... what a traffic jam.

And let's not forget the satellite shots.

Will, you were correct in your counting. All those other lines are part of Carnival Corp, not Carnival Cruise line. There's a difference. Yes, RCI is the biggest cruise line in terms of passengers.

Actually, not quite. In reality, brand-for-brand it's a virtual tie. According to RCCL's 10-K, the RCI brand has 62,000 passenger berths across its 22 ships ("We currently operate 22 ships with approximately 62,000 berths under our Royal Caribbean International brand"), and Carnival has 62,900 across its 23 ships.:p

I know it cost a lot to run the ships each week, but think about just from getting people on the ship if you say the median is about 500 a person to get on and times that by 95940 it comes out to $47,970,000, just getting people on board a week...That is a lot of money. It is probably higher then that. But like I said it cost a lot to run the ship. I read a review that someone said they Allure of the Seas fills up every other week cost 1.3 million to fill it up. There are a lot of numbers to crunch!!!

Something to consider when comparing Carnival and Royal Caribbean passenger counts, Carnival has more short 4 & 5 night cruises and fewer long cruises than Royal Caribbean. The shorter a ship's average cruise length, the more cruises that ship can sail on over a period of time. More cruises = more passengers.

Example: In the time it takes for a ship that sails 14 night cruises to complete a cruise, a ship that sails 7 night cruises can complete two cruises.

Royal Caribbean easily wins in average ship size (tonnage), however. :D

Thanks Will773 for adding Carnival :D! Keep em coming people ;)

Let also not forget, however objective it might be, the RCI ships are the prettiest ones to look at imo!!! :D

Example for me: I don’t know when I am looking at NCL Epic if I should start to laugh or cry, or do both at the same time :D

Something to consider when comparing Carnival and Royal Caribbean passenger counts, Carnival has more short 4 & 5 night cruises and fewer long cruises than Royal Caribbean. The shorter a ship's average cruise length, the more cruises that ship can sail on over a period of time. More cruises = more passengers.

True, but I think the statistic mentioned at the top of the thread is the number of passengers/crew on the water at a given moment in time.

Love the idea of all the ships together, but logistically, it could never happen. P&O are doing it in Southampton this year with seven ships, planning started over a year ago.

Thanks Will773 for adding Carnival :D! Keep em coming people ;)

Let also not forget, however objective it might be, the RCI ships are the prettiest ones to look at imo!!! :D

Example for me: I don’t know when I am looking at NCL Epic if I should start to laugh or cry, or do both at the same time :D

Of course you are correct. This is very true even when trying to be totally unbiased. It seems all the other cruise lines either have very ugly paint jobs or the ships have very odd shapes. RCI ships are just very attractive in all respects.

Gina

I know it cost a lot to run the ships each week, but think about just from getting people on the ship if you say the median is about 500 a person to get on and times that by 95940 it comes out to $47,970,000, just getting people on board a week...That is a lot of money. It is probably higher then that. But like I said it cost a lot to run the ship. I read a review that someone said they Allure of the Seas fills up every other week cost 1.3 million to fill it up. There are a lot of numbers to crunch!!!

The airlines always seem to be doing so poorly. Just think how they would be doing without all the cruisers getting to and from port. I was thinking they had the cruise lines to thank. But no....they should thank us for cruising. ;)

Gina

How cool would a nuclear powered cruise ship sounds?…Except for the waste a very clean and relatively safe power source :D.

But seriously, if they would replace a few diesel generators with gas powered (as most other new ships do), put a load of solar panels on the top like sunshine will have, replace every light on the ship with LED bulbs, set timers and sensors in the rooms, gangways, etc, that shutdown all the power to the place when you’re not in there. I even think a KERS system like on formula1 cars on a larger scale is possible with those ships…I am willing to bet they can reduce the running cost per ship by a whoooole lot :)

Here's Celebrity

Century Class: 1 ship

1,808 passengers + 843 crew = 2,651

Millennium Class: 4 ships

2,450 passengers + 999 crew = 13,796

Celebrity Xpedition

96 passengers + 68 crew = 164

Solstice Class: 4 ships

2,850 passengers + 1,500 crew = 17,400

That brings up a total of 34,012. That's pretty surprising, thought it would have been more.

This year, with the addition of the Celebrity Reflection, Celebrity will have 38,362 people on cruises at any one time.

I would say average price of between $800 and $1000. If it were $800, they would have $76,752,000 PER WEEK, just on cruise fares. $1,000 would mean that they get $95,940,000. Crazy!

Here's Celebrity

Century Class: 1 ship

1,808 passengers + 843 crew = 2,651

Millennium Class: 4 ships

2,450 passengers + 999 crew = 13,796

Celebrity Xpedition

96 passengers + 68 crew = 164

Solstice Class: 4 ships

2,850 passengers + 1,500 crew = 17,400

That brings up a total of 34,012. That's pretty surprising, thought it would have been more.

This year, with the addition of the Celebrity Reflection, Celebrity will have 38,362 people on cruises at any one time.

The ships are not that big and a smaller fleet...

Keep em coming Will :D I guess you’re only missing Pullmantur and you have the entire Royal Caribbean company?

This thread is really turning into a math class :D lol

I would say average price of between $800 and $1000. If it were $800, they would have $76,752,000 PER WEEK, just on cruise fares. $1,000 would mean that they get $95,940,000. Crazy!

Based on RCL's 2010 10-K, passenger ticket revenue accounts for $13.3MM/day, or approximately $4.9BB/year (72.1% of total revenue):eek:

Based on RCL's 2010 10-K, passenger ticket revenue accounts for $13.3MM/day, or approximately $4.9BB/year (72.1% of total revenue):eek:

Multiply that number by 7 (we'll just call that the average cruise length...) and you get over $93 million per week. Amazing.

Here's Princess:

Explorer Class: 2 ships

826 passengers + 373 crew = 2,398

Sun Class: 5 ships

1,990 passengers + 900 crew = 14,450

Grand Class: 9 ships

3,100 passengers + 1,100 crew (average, there are some slight differences) = 37,800

That brings up a grand total of 54,648 people on Princess at one time!

Here's Holland America

Prinsendam:

835 passengers + 460 crew = 1,295

S Class: 4 ships

1275 passengers + 590 crew (average) = 7,460

R Class: 4 ships

1,410 passengers + 620 crew (average) = 8,120

Vista Class: 4 ships

1,916 passengers + 820 crew (average) = 10,944

Signature Class: 2 ships

2,105 passengers + 929 crew = 6,068

That brings up a grand total of 33,887 people onboard HAL ships at any given time.

Norwegian Cruise Line

Norwegian Spirit

1,996 passengers + 965 crew = 2,961

Sky Class: 2 ships

2,002 passengers + 870 crew (average) = 5,744

Pride of America

2,138 passengers + 935 crew = 3,073

Libra Class: 2 ships

2,240 passengers + 1,100 crew = 6,680

Jewel Class: 4 ships

2,380 passengers + 1,100 crew (average) = 13,920

Norwegian Epic

5,183 passengers + 1,708 crew = 6,891

This brings up a grand total of 39,269 people on NCL ships at any one time.

Good start, but a loooooong way to go:). According to RCI's 10-K, "We estimate that the global cruise fleet was served by approximately 400,000 berths on approximately 281 ships by the end of 2010. There are approximately 20 ships with an estimated 53,000 berths that are expected to be placed in service in the global cruise market between 2011 and 2014."

BTW, based on RCI's financial statements, RCCL's average fare/pp is $1,061.

Good start, but a loooooong way to go:). According to RCI's 10-K, "We estimate that the global cruise fleet was served by approximately 400,000 berths on approximately 281 ships by the end of 2010. There are approximately 20 ships with an estimated 53,000 berths that are expected to be placed in service in the global cruise market between 2011 and 2014."

BTW, based on RCI's financial statements, RCCL's average fare/pp is $1,061.

Well, Will is a roll to get to 281 ships :D

Archived