S.T.Y.L.E. Cards Benefit Crew Members

marelind

A tip is not the only way to show your appreciation to those crew members who go above and beyond for you. STYLE cards are a FREE way to show your appreciation to a crew member that will help him/her in a real way. A crew member told me about these cards. From what I understand, when a guest fills out a STYLE card for a crew member it goes in their record. The cards can earn them prizes, they get recognition in front of the rest of the crew, and it can even play a part in their job promotion. Later, at a captain's question session I asked a question about the cards, the crew member who handled the microphone gave me a big smile because it really makes a difference in the life of the crew member.

You usually can find one or two cards in your cabin, or you can ask for STYLE cards at the front desk.

A tip is not the only way to show your appreciation to those crew members who go above and beyond for you. STYLE cards are a FREE way to show your appreciation to a crew member that will help him/her in a real way. A crew member told me about these cards. From what I understand, when a guest fills out a STYLE card for a crew member it goes in their record. The cards can earn them prizes, they get recognition in front of the rest of the crew, and it can even play a part in their job promotion. Later, at a captain's question session I asked a question about the cards, the crew member who handled the microphone gave me a big smile because it really makes a difference in the life of the crew member.

You usually can find one or two cards in your cabin, or you can ask for STYLE cards at the front desk.

Thanks for this post. It bears repeating over and over - at least as often as the tipping threads. :rolleyes: I fill out at several cards every cruise. When we first started cruising NCL the crew would actually give them to you at every chance and tell you how important they were to them. I remember them being on every table in the restaurants as well. Nowadays, you have to make more of a point of getting them from reception if you need more than the one in your cabin.

I too always fill out a style card whenever a crew member goes above and beyond what would be their job....and many do.:D Thats why I keep coming back!!

Me too ! :)

(Just pick up some at "front desk". ..)

Good post Mary. Our first cruise, I didn't even know they existed. And it was only because it was mentioned on a tipping thread that I even know now they exist.

I agree with Mooder information worth putting out there for all to see.

They were still using the cards on my last cruise in September.

My system is simple: I get a bunch of the cards at the beginning of the cruise and start filling them out as appropriate. I make a note of the person's name on my iPad and then, after turning the cards in at the end of the cruise, I compose a letter to NCL with my general thoughts about the cruise.

In that letter I talk about each person for whom I filled out a STYLE card.

I mail the letter shortly after returning home. I always get a nice reply indicating that the thoughts, kudos, and comments will be forward to the Master of the Ship so they can be included in the employees' records.

On subsequent cruises I have been thanked on at least one occasion by a crew member who remembered me.

Well that would be ashame if they stopped using the STYLE cards because of a couple bad employees abusing the promotion. I think it is a good way to selected the outstanding employees you encountered on your cruise. I hope NCL can work through the kinks and keep the program going.

I thought someone told me that they are discontinuing the STYLE cards because of abuse by some. I actually saw a crew member telling a passenger what to write on the card and then that crew member turned the card in.

Update: I checked with a concierge aboard ship and they are still providing S.T.Y.L.E. cards. Sorry for the confusion.

I posted about this before. The STYLE cards can be more valuable than tips for NCL employees. During our Epic cruise we picked up a stack from the concierge and filled out at least 10 of them. When we told our favorite waitress we were filling one out for her she was so excited. She told us that everyone comments on the great service in the Epic Club everyday but no one (or hardly anyone) every bothers to fill out a STYLE card. For employees that want to promote or receive special perks, this is a great system for them.

But the fun part is finding the NCL employees who are probably least recognized and fill one out for them. Maybe someone delivered your luggage early. Fill out one for them. It would be so cool.

One night at Moderno we asked for a table but the restaurant was full. We dont flaunt our suite status on our sleeve and never ask for special perks. We were told the restaurant was full by the hostess and left our room number for a reservation later that night. Instantly we got a table. She was from Brazil and we made sure we filled out a STYLE card for her. She was so excited about it too. Not many would fill out one for a hostess.

So yes, please make the effort to fill out a STYLE card for all your favorite NCL employees. They should be recognized for their great service.

I thought someone told me that they are discontinuing the STYLE cards because of abuse by some. I actually saw a crew member telling a passenger what to write on the card and then that crew member turned the card in.

That's true. They are supposed to be phasing them out in favor of the online survey because of abuse but they aren't out yet. And in fact, as all things change, they may stay as most leaders are aware of who (and they are very few) abuses the system.

I take a notebook and write down the names and then put them in the online survey.

I always filll them out for those special crew members...actually, I feel like I could do it for every crew member usually. Additionally, last cruise on the Pearl, I stopped the hotel director and told him I knew he was busy, but I just wanted to say how much i appreciated a particular crew member, twice in the presence of that crew member. Of course both tiimes he said how fortunate NCL felt having that crew member as part of the team.

Nothing is better than having a customer go out of their way to tell you that you did something right. More people complain than take the opportunity to praise.

I will be looking for opportunities to use these on our upcoming cruise.

Could you hear what they were saying? I just ask because I have had crew members spell their name for me as I am filling out a card for them. I keep some in the little purse I carry on the ship. From afar it could be mistaken for them telling me what to say instead of just how to spell their name so the correct person is rewarded.

That's true. They are supposed to be phasing them out in favor of the online survey because of abuse but they aren't out yet. And in fact, as all things change, they may stay as most leaders are aware of who (and they are very few) abuses the system.

I take a notebook and write down the names and then put them in the online survey.

I hope they don't phase them out. I'm more likely to complete one when something is fresh in my mind and probably others would be too. An online survey seems too impersonal. I'd be surprised if the employees didn't get to see the Style Cards they receive and I'm sure NCL recognizes what a huge motivator they can be for an employee.

I didn't remember a thread like this, or even seeing a mention of STYLE cards, on CC before. Since there are so many threads (ad nauseum) about tipping as a form of appreciation *yawn* I thought this might be useful information since there are so many newbies this time of year. I think it is true that for those who want to be promoted and stay with NCL, the cards are more important than a tip. The tip is just for the moment, but the help toward a promotion that sends more money home each week keeps on giving.

Style cards are nice for the crew member to read but sadly, most of the time they don't do anything for the crew. I've had some Hotel Directors that go out of their way to read them, give the crew a nice thanks but I've also had Hotel Director that has someone else stamp his name and couldn't care at all.

Style cards are nice for the crew member to read but sadly, most of the time they don't do anything for the crew. I've had some Hotel Directors that go out of their way to read them, give the crew a nice thanks but I've also had Hotel Director that has someone else stamp his name and couldn't care at all.

So, is it worth my time and effort? :confused:

Archived