Cable beach/junkanoo beach or Cabbage Beach?

michelle028

Hi,

First time in Nassau in March.

I have been reading all the threads on Nassau beaches and trying to decide which beach to spend most of the day.

I'm looking for a beautiful public beach thats relatively close the ship - preferably with restrooms.

Also planning to see Atlantis as well.

Any thoughts/opinions and best ways to get there would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!!!

Hi,

First time in Nassau in March.

I have been reading all the threads on Nassau beaches and trying to decide which beach to spend most of the day.

I'm looking for a beautiful public beach thats relatively close the ship - preferably with restrooms.

Also planning to see Atlantis as well.

Any thoughts/opinions and best ways to get there would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!!!

We are in Nassau in March too and we are thinking of having a beach day. A friend of mine says that Cable Beach is the best beach to go to. You can use the beach in front of the Wyndham hotel.

We are in Nassau in March too and we are thinking of having a beach day. A friend of mine says that Cable Beach is the best beach to go to. You can use the beach in front of the Wyndham hotel.

Cable Beach is probably the best beach, but for the most part, the beach is lined with hotels and private property.

In order to use the beach in front of the wyndham, you'll need to purchase a day pass ($40 included a buffet lunch). Otherwise, you're trespassing and risk getting asked to leave.

Sheraton, which is a sister property next door, is $25pp.. no food included.

There are public beaches on Cable Beach, but most are deserted and few have any amenities. Most restrooms are locked up for the winter months.

Hi there,

I will in Nassau in March too, I am getting quite confused about this beach situation. Can someone help with the clarification:

1. Where is the nearest public beach around (from the cruise ship) without having to pay any hotel from using their beach

2. How much does it cost to take a taxi there? Or what available transport to get to the beach, the price involve

3. If we have to pay for facilities at the beach, which hotel charge the least?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I will in Nassau in March too, I am getting quite confused about this beach situation. Can someone help with the clarification:

1. Where is the nearest public beach around (from the cruise ship) without having to pay any hotel from using their beach

2. How much does it cost to take a taxi there? Or what available transport to get to the beach, the price involve

3. If we have to pay for facilities at the beach, which hotel charge the least?

Thanks!

I was confused too but after extensive reading have copied various notes and came up with the following which is the closeset beach to the cruise port within walking distance and free.

Junkanoo Beach (Western Esplanade or Long Wharf Beach) - It is about 10 minutes walk from the port exit. This is one of the best beaches in Bahamas located near downtown Nassau just west of the British Colonial Hilton. When you come into the harbour, you can't help but see the Hilton. It's a beautiful majestic hotel right in the mouth of the harbor so you will have no trouble finding it. It's a 10-12 minute walk from the port. Or you can take a cab for $11 (2 ppl). Or the #10 jitney for $1.25. There are signs all along the esplanade by the Straw market & the British Colonial guiding you to Junkaroo beach. To walk, Go out the gate.. make a right, just follow the wharf to Senor Frogs, make a left and follow the sidewalk past the Hilton entrance and around the corner, past the parking lot to the beach. Just walk past the Hilton on Bay St and look for the opening where the little colorful shacks are. Just a 1/2 block further and you’re at the Fish Fry. The beach is free and has some nice sandy areas with palm trees, public restrooms , changing areas with shower (grey stone building with light green trim). They also have restaurants serving snack-type food and drinks. You do have to bring your own towels, but there are chairs for rent.

Edited by banditoo

Does anyone know if we decide to visit the Sheraton or Wyndym, can we use the pools as well as the beach area?

Yes, the day pass entitles you to use the pools as well as the beach at both properties.. they are sister properties and connected.

You DO need a day pass to be on the property. $40 for Wyndham with lunch/ $25 for Sheraton.

If we decide to do the Wyndham excursion, how close would the straw market shopping be? Within walking distance of the hotel? And did you mean that along with the Wyndham hotel beach and pool, we would be able to use the Sheraton facilities as well? Just trying to clarify....thank you so much for your information!

If we decide to do the Wyndham excursion, how close would the straw market shopping be? Within walking distance of the hotel? And did you mean that along with the Wyndham hotel beach and pool, we would be able to use the Sheraton facilities as well? Just trying to clarify....thank you so much for your information!

Wyndham/Sheraton allows you to float back and forth between the two properties except during Spring Break.

These Hotels are at Cable Beach, about 5 miles from port and the straw market.

There is a small straw market across the main road from the hotels.. but with all the construction these days.. I'm not sure if it will be available while you are there.

Do we need to reserve the day pass ahead of time? Or just go to the hotel and pay?

Which hotel do you think is the best for the day pass use?

The Sheraton is 25 and wyndam is 40.

Do you know how much the hilton is?

Thanks for all of you help!

Hi- We have been to the Wyndham and the Sheraton. We had the lunch at the Wyndham, which was good. But our preference is to have a big breakfast on the ship, go to the Sheraton, have a snack at the Sheraton, and an early dinner on the ship.

The Sheraton, IMO, is a more appealing property. The beach is nice, the pools are lovely, and there is a good snack bar in the lobby.

I was confused too but after extensive reading have copied various notes and came up with the following which is the closeset beach to the cruise port within walking distance and free.

Junkanoo Beach (Western Esplanade or Long Wharf Beach) - It is about 10 minutes walk from the port exit.This is one of the best beaches in Bahamas located near downtown Nassau just west of the British Colonial Hilton. When you come into the harbour, you can't help but see the Hilton. It's a beautiful majestic hotel right in the mouth of the harbor so you will have no trouble finding it. It's a 10-12 minute walk from the port. Or you can take a cab for $11 (2 ppl). Or the #10 jitney for $1.25. There are signs all along the esplanade by the Straw market & the British Colonial guiding you to Junkaroo beach.To walk, Go out the gate.. make a right, just follow the wharf to Senor Frogs, make a left and follow the sidewalk past the Hilton entrance and around the corner, past the parking lot to the beach. Just walk past the Hilton on Bay St and look for the opening where the little colorful shacks are. Just a 1/2 block further and you’re at the Fish Fry. The beach is free and has some nice sandy areas with palm trees, public restrooms , changing areas with shower (grey stone building with light green trim). They also haverestaurants serving snack-type food and drinks. You do have to bring your own towels, but there are chairs for rent.

We did this in Feb--two years ago. It is a pretty good hike and the restrooms were closed. It was mostly locals which is fine-- I wasn't scared, but we def stood out. We're headed back next month and looking for another option

We did this in Feb--two years ago. It is a pretty good hike and the restrooms were closed. It was mostly locals which is fine-- I wasn't scared, but we def stood out. We're headed back next month and looking for another option

Things have changed this year, the area is built up, the restrooms are open year round and there are concession stands as well. There's even a stage set up for local music during spring break and high season.

Things have changed this year, the area is built up, the restrooms are open year round and there are concession stands as well. There's even a stage set up for local music during spring break and high season.

Hi,

How is the beach area itself? is it clean? Is the water for the most part calm or rough? Going there in march :) thanks for your help!

Junkanoo Beach (Western Esplanade or Long Wharf Beach) - It is about 10 minutes walk from the port exit. This is one of the best beaches in Bahamas located near downtown Nassau just west of the British Colonial Hilton. When you come into the harbour, you can't help but see the Hilton. It's a beautiful majestic hotel right in the mouth of the harbor so you will have no trouble finding it. It's a 10-12 minute walk from the port. Or you can take a cab for $11 (2 ppl). Or the #10 jitney for $1.25. There are signs all along the esplanade by the Straw market & the British Colonial guiding you to Junkaroo beach. To walk, Go out the gate.. make a right, just follow the wharf to Senor Frogs, make a left and follow the sidewalk past the Hilton entrance and around the corner, past the parking lot to the beach. Just walk past the Hilton on Bay St and look for the opening where the little colorful shacks are. Just a 1/2 block further and you’re at the Fish Fry. The beach is free and has some nice sandy areas with palm trees, public restrooms , changing areas with shower (grey stone building with light green trim). They also have restaurants serving snack-type food and drinks. You do have to bring your own towels, but there are chairs for rent.

Hi there,

Many thanks for the information and instruction on how to get there, port time at Nassau for us is mighty short, therefore will hit Junkanoo Beach, apparently after reading many reviews, Fish Fry (rows of local Bahamian eateries) is very near the beach. Itinerary for that day is beach, sea, sun and food!

Hi,

How is the beach area itself? is it clean? Is the water for the most part calm or rough? Going there in march :) thanks for your help!

Crystal Clear and calm.. I should warn you.. it's the main beach for Spring breakers.. so there will be plenty of drinking going on those weeks, as well as volleyball, games and even music.

If you're into that.. there's plenty of room to spread out. If your not.. you might have to head to the Hilton or Sheraton to get away from the breaker.

Should we make reservations ahead of time at the Sheraton or can you just in? What do you think is the best option. Sheraton Hotel with lunch or Blue Lagoon with lunch? We have 5 adults (3 of them are 18-22) and a 2 year old.

At the sheraton, there are no reservations. (and no lunch option, except that you can buy lunch at the grill on the premises).

Don't know what time of year you are going, but if you are looking to go during spring break, you may have a problem. They sometimes turn young people away .. going with a baby may make it better.

Sheraton does NOT allow spring break partying to interupt the hotel guests, so they restrict the crowds during those weeks.

Blue Lagoon you will need reservations, especially with 5 ppl.

www.dolphinencounters.com

Be very aware of the timeing for ferries.. they only come pack at certain times in the afternoon.. I think it's 1, 2 and 4pm.. but I'd check with them.

We are going to there August 10th. Can you swim out in the water at Sheraton/Wyndham? I'm just wondering what water would be the best and stuff to do. My kids are very mellow for 18-22 year olds. They dont party and we are in our 40's.

Edited by carly chloe

We were going to do a snorkel excursion in February but heard the water is too cold! So we are trying to decide what to do in Freeport and Nassau? Is Junkanoo in Nassau or Freeport? Had a friend tell me she went to Junkanoo Beach in Freeport but I thought it was in Nassau. Any suggestions what to do? :confused::confused::confused:

We were going to do a snorkel excursion in February but heard the water is too cold! So we are trying to decide what to do in Freeport and Nassau? Is Junkanoo in Nassau or Freeport? Had a friend tell me she went to Junkanoo Beach in Freeport but I thought it was in Nassau. Any suggestions what to do? :confused::confused::confused:

there's a junkanoo beach in BOTH nassau and Freeport.

Since the temps have been pretty decent lately, and so far so good on the cold weather.. we might luck out and keep the water warm enough to enjoy in feb. Right now it's about 75 ... chilly .. but swimmable.

Junkanoo Beach Club is in Freeport. I think it is on Taiano Beach (or something like that). Although I've never been there, I hear it is very nice and they do have snorkeling excursions right from the Beach Club. The beach is free, I believe you pay $5 for a lounge chair if you like. They do expect you to buy lunch/drinks and I hear it's pretty good. Google it for more info. And, Junkanoo Beach is in Nassau, which is the beach everyone is talking about on this thread.

Can we bring our own booze on the Jukanoo Beach in a cooler?

Or we have to get them from the beach concession?

Yes, it's a public beach.. but discreetly, and no glass bottles on the beach.

also, public drunkeness is against the law.. and you can be arrested if things get out of hand.