Cable beach/junkanoo beach or Cabbage Beach?

michelle028

Yes, it's a public beach.. but discreetly, and no glass bottles on the beach.

also, public drunkeness is against the law.. and you can be arrested if things get out of hand.

Scubagirl,

While on the subject of Junkanoo Beach, need your opinion if this place fits the bill for a family of four (including two teenagers) who only really want to walk around town for some sightseeing and shopping, then be able to walk to a beach for a quick dip.

Scubagirl,

While on the subject of Junkanoo Beach, need your opinion if this place fits the bill for a family of four (including two teenagers) who only really want to walk around town for some sightseeing and shopping, then be able to walk to a beach for a quick dip.

Perfect, Junkanoo Beach is just the place.

Dear Scubagirrl, Just how rowdy does Junkanoo beach get during spring break. I was so excited to hear about this beach. However we will be there at the end of March (SPRING BREAK). I thought it would be perfect because we have 4 under the age of 6 and we could just walk (no need for car seats). We will also have two 18 year olds and a 16 year old (all boys). Don't want to have a "wet t-shirt" contest going on beside us. Could we walk farther down the beach. Don't mind a crowded beach as long as everyone has their clothes on and are not completely intoxicated.

Dear Scubagirrl, Just how rowdy does Junkanoo beach get during spring break. I was so excited to hear about this beach. However we will be there at the end of March (SPRING BREAK). I thought it would be perfect because we have 4 under the age of 6 and we could just walk (no need for car seats). We will also have two 18 year olds and a 16 year old (all boys). Don't want to have a "wet t-shirt" contest going on beside us. Could we walk farther down the beach. Don't mind a crowded beach as long as everyone has their clothes on and are not completely intoxicated.

Junkanoo beach IS the spring break party location.. but the beach is quite wide and you can walk down to the end nearest Arawak Cay.. you will still hear the music.. since they have live local bands playing during the day.

Unfortunately, there's no telling what drunken kids will be doing..

and wet t shirt contest may be part of the agenda.

I would say that ALL the free beaches will be a bit out of control during spring break.

I will be there the first week of April with my wife and a 10 and 14 year old. I am wondering if there is a secluded beach somewhere on the island we can disappear too. We are willing to take public transportation and we always enjoy hanging out at the "local" spots. We believe if your going to take the time to visit another country you should spend some time getting to know the people.

I will be there the first week of April with my wife and a 10 and 14 year old. I am wondering if there is a secluded beach somewhere on the island we can disappear too. We are willing to take public transportation and we always enjoy hanging out at the "local" spots. We believe if your going to take the time to visit another country you should spend some time getting to know the people.

Sorry to say, but secluded beaches are not recommended. We have issues with crime, and have had trouble witih robberies and assaults in out of the way beaches..

There are several public beaches along West Bay Street. Junkanoo is just outside town, Goodmans Bay and Sanders Beach .. Junkanoo and Sanders has restrooms.

There's also a beach across from Sandy port, near the Poop Deck..but no amenities.

None of these beaches have lifeguards,and some have riptides under some conditions.

I would caution you to stay with others and within sight of the roadways or shops.

Couple of questions :)

The junkanoo beach in nassau would the restrooms be open in the first week of december?

The junkanoo beach in freeport is that the closest public beach in freeport and is it within walking distance, if not how much is a cab and would it be hard to get a ride back from the beach? We ar only spending 8 hours in freeport.

Junkanoo beach IS the spring break party location.. but the beach is quite wide and you can walk down to the end nearest Arawak Cay.. you will still hear the music.. since they have live local bands playing during the day.

Unfortunately, there's no telling what drunken kids will be doing..

and wet t shirt contest may be part of the agenda.

I would say that ALL the free beaches will be a bit out of control during spring break.

The last few times we have been to Nassau we went over to Paradise Island, would that be a better choice? Perhaps a little less "wild"? Loved the idea of Junkanoo because it is so close to the ships with restrooms, etc.

The last few times we have been to Nassau we went over to Paradise Island, would that be a better choice? Perhaps a little less "wild"? Loved the idea of Junkanoo because it is so close to the ships with restrooms, etc.

No, Paradise Island is as busy and crazy as anywhere else during spring break.

Even Atlantis is not immune.

My sister and I did a public beach right down from the Atlantis - about 10 years ago - is that beach still open and a public beach? It was a very quick cab ride and was what I was considering for our upcoming cruise in a couple of weeks.

My sister and I did a public beach right down from the Atlantis - about 10 years ago - is that beach still open and a public beach? It was a very quick cab ride and was what I was considering for our upcoming cruise in a couple of weeks.

yes, it's still there and public (Cabbage Beach). There's a walkway next to the RIU..

There are no restrooms or other amenities. Some unlicensed local vendors on the beach selling rum drinks and renting chairs.

This is still a popular spot, but the water is rougher.. and there is a drop off and sometimes a rip current.

Not recommended for families with children as there are no life guards.

I sailed on the Jewel out of NYC last week and spent our beach day in Nassau at Junkanoo Beach. It was so easy to get to (You actually see it sailing into port)and labeled so there was no confusuion about whether I was in the right spot. I was with my 5yo and she had a great time. It wasnt very crowded. There was a group of slightly rowdier teenagers in the afternoon from one of the ships in port but they stayed in their own corner basically. You can't beat the price and it was perfect for a low key beach day, which is all we wanted. We walked down and had lunch at the Fish Fry, which was also great! I'll try to attach a pic, but this is my first attempt so we'll see how it goes...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=220776&stc=1&d=1328473690

SAM_0261.jpg.1be3f9046f08ae4e307f2ade27a719d8.jpg

I sailed on the Jewel out of NYC last week and spent our beach day in Nassau at Junkanoo Beach. It was so easy to get to (You actually see it sailing into port)and labeled so there was no confusuion about whether I was in the right spot. I was with my 5yo and she had a great time. It wasnt very crowded. There was a group of slightly rowdier teenagers in the afternoon from one of the ships in port but they stayed in their own corner basically. You can't beat the price and it was perfect for a low key beach day, which is all we wanted. We walked down and had lunch at the Fish Fry, which was also great! I'll try to attach a pic, but this is my first attempt so we'll see how it goes...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=220776&stc=1&d=1328473690

Thanks for reporting back and attaching the picture. Can hardly wait to be in the exact same spot next month! Did you happen to notice if there were places to book on the spot snorkeling excursions?

I'm so nervous!!! I'm set to sail this thursday and I keep hearing such mixed reviews about Junkanoo in Nassau. Someone posted on another website that on feb.2nd he was there and the beach was 'disgusting,filled with trash',etc.. I keep getting such mixed messages.. :(

I'm so nervous!!! I'm set to sail this thursday and I keep hearing such mixed reviews about Junkanoo in Nassau. Someone posted on another website that on feb.2nd he was there and the beach was 'disgusting,filled with trash',etc.. I keep getting such mixed messages.. :(

I wasn't there that day... but every time I pass, (which is often) it looks fine to me. The gov't maintains this beach and picks up and empties trash. I'm sure by late in the day the trash bins are full and guests leave all kinds of things all over the beach. With 10,000 cruisers and thousands of hotels guests in nassau each day.. trash happens.

I don't think your find this beach "disgusting".

sorry to ask again but didn't see any anwers...or anyone asking the same. :) if it bothers anyone I truely am sorry.

The junkanoo beach in nassau would the restrooms be open in the first week of december?

The junkanoo beach in freeport is that the closest public beach in freeport and is it within walking distance, if not how much is a cab and would it be hard to get a ride back from the beach? We are only spending 8 hours in freeport.

Is the sheraton worth the 25 dollars or would junkanoo be just as nice??

Edited by Rainbowfalls

sorry to ask again but didn't see any anwers...or anyone asking the same. :) if it bothers anyone I truely am sorry.

Yes, the restrooms and concessions are open year round

The junkanoo beach in freeport is that the closest public beach in freeport and is it within walking distance, if not how much is a cab and would it be hard to get a ride back from the beach? We are only spending 8 hours in freeport.

Don't know for sure, but I think Lucaya is closer. But more expensive

Since you dock in a commercial area, there are no beaches within walking distance. There are inexpensive tours to junkanoo beach that include transportation. If not, there are taxis. It's a nice beach and a cool restaurant bar.

Is the sheraton worth the 25 dollars or would junkanoo be just as nice??

Sheraton has all the amenities of a hotel, including 3 pools, hot tub, towel service, water toys, snorkeling and lifeguards.. you can also get a meal at the grill. Not just a hot dog and chips.

The beach is also excellent.. it's in the open water with spectacular views.

Junkanoo is in the harbour with the view of Paradise Island and the Lighthouse and there are no lifeguards.

Sheraton has Jet ski and bananaboat rides available from rrivate vendors/ junkanoo does not allow them since they are in the harbour

I think Junkanoo is fine for a public beach, but if you need more amenities or toys, or a life guard, sheraton would be my choice.

During spring break Junkanoo can get a little out of hand. You won't have that proble at the sheraton.

Thanks for reporting back and attaching the picture. Can hardly wait to be in the exact same spot next month! Did you happen to notice if there were places to book on the spot snorkeling excursions?

There was a stand with snorkeling equipment but I dont think there were any excursions on the beach. When you exit the ship you come through Festival Place which had stands for taxis and I think a few excursions.

There was a stand with snorkeling equipment but I dont think there were any excursions on the beach. When you exit the ship you come through Festival Place which had stands for taxis and I think a few excursions.

Thanks Cat.

Sheraton has all the amenities of a hotel, including 3 pools, hot tub, towel service, water toys, snorkeling and lifeguards.. you can also get a meal at the grill. Not just a hot dog and chips.

The beach is also excellent.. it's in the open water with spectacular views.

Junkanoo is in the harbour with the view of Paradise Island and the Lighthouse and there are no lifeguards.

Sheraton has Jet ski and bananaboat rides available from rrivate vendors/ junkanoo does not allow them since they are in the harbour

I think Junkanoo is fine for a public beach, but if you need more amenities or toys, or a life guard, sheraton would be my choice.

During spring break Junkanoo can get a little out of hand. You won't have that proble at the sheraton.

Thank you! :) I am so torn on what beach to go to for nassau, but Freeport has me completely lost since it seems like no matter what I would like to do I would have to depend on a taxi, which has me concerned....I dont even like taking taxis here lol.

Thank you! :) I am so torn on what beach to go to for nassau, but Freeport has me completely lost since it seems like no matter what I would like to do I would have to depend on a taxi, which has me concerned....I dont even like taking taxis here lol.

In Freeport they always do their best to fill up the taxis (mostly vans), so you won't be alone! It seems that the majority of cruisers go over to Port Lucaya, and it is very safe there. It has become one of my favorite spots for a lazy beach day followed by a few minutes of shopping at the Straw Market. Just pay attention to your watch so you get in a taxi in plenty of time!