Cable beach/junkanoo beach or Cabbage Beach?

michelle028

We were at Junkanoo beach in March with a 1 year old and 7 and 9 year olds. All had a terrific time playing in the beautiful clean sand and swimming in the water. Very safe and very handy location to the ship as it is an short walk in town to the beach. Vendors in beach huts had food and beverages for sale. Lots of families and people of all ages. We were there during spring break so stayed a little farther away from the music and college kids as that area was a little more crowded. Lots of space to spread out and get your own piece of sand. We walked to the beach after doing a bit of a walking tour of Nassau and taking the kids to the pirate museum.

We were at Junkanoo beach in March with a 1 year old and 7 and 9 year olds. All had a terrific time playing in the beautiful clean sand and swimming in the water. Very safe and very handy location to the ship as it is an short walk in town to the beach. Vendors in beach huts had food and beverages for sale. Lots of families and people of all ages. We were there during spring break so stayed a little farther away from the music and college kids as that area was a little more crowded. Lots of space to spread out and get your own piece of sand. We walked to the beach after doing a bit of a walking tour of Nassau and taking the kids to the pirate museum.

Thanks so much!!!!

Just to confirm....this is Junkanoo in Nassau?

Yes it is Junkanoo or Western Esplanade Public Beach next to the British Colonial Hilton in Nassau. About 10 mins. walk along the waterfront from the cruise port. Very convenient.

Yes it is Junkanoo or Western Esplanade Public Beach next to the British Colonial Hilton in Nassau. About 10 mins. walk along the waterfront from the cruise port. Very convenient.

Hi I was just double checking if you could walk to this beach from the port that Carnival Magic will dock? Also I read that there are no lifeguards. I am taking a 6 & 9 year old. Both on local swim teams, but neither have ever swam in an ocean. Are the waters pretty calm? Did you feel safe?

Also, what time of day do you recommend going. We are supposed to be at the port from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Thanks for any help

Hi I was just double checking if you could walk to this beach from the port that Carnival Magic will dock? Also I read that there are no lifeguards. I am taking a 6 & 9 year old. Both on local swim teams, but neither have ever swam in an ocean. Are the waters pretty calm? Did you feel safe?

Also, what time of day do you recommend going. We are supposed to be at the port from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Thanks for any help

All the ships dock at the same port in Nassau which is a short walk to Junkanoo beach in my earlier picture. We were on the Carnival Legend. Yes perfectly safe walking there as it is a well populated area. You walk past restaurants including Senor Frogs, shops and the British Colonial Hilton. The beach was very safe; the water had barely a ripple on the day we were there, very gradual entry as you can see by people standing in the water in my photo. We had absolutely no concerns about safety. Supervise your children as you would around any body of water. My 7 and 9 year old niece and nephew were in and out of the water hundreds of times during the afternoon that we were there. The 1 year old granddaughter would have been right in there with them if we didn't stop her from crawling in over her head; no hesitation around water for that girl! Any daylight time would be good to go; depending on time of year you are there, it would be hotter during midday which is when the sun is usually the most intense. Your kids will love their first ocean experience.

Thanks for any help

We were just there May 12th. We walked to the beach and got there about 1:30 pm. The water was rather calm and very clear. There are several concrete pier like structures which help to keep the water near the beach calm. There were a few small children playing in the water.

It was a rather easy walk from the cruise terminal. I've heard some describe the walk as a hike but they must eaither be thinking of Freeport or don't walk much. You just walk down along the water line towards Senior Frogs and follow that road around senior Frogs and past the hilton and you are there.

Bring towels. Rent chairs if you desire. Keep an eye on your kids and you should be fine.

I've only sailed to Nassau 1 time and we spent the day at Atlantis... It wasn't a really great experiance for us, the resort was so crowded that we didn't get to enjoy the water park at all, so we just enjoyed the beach and rode jet ski's.

My husband and I are sailing to Nassau in October and I'm trying to figure out a plan. I don't want to go back to Atlantis again, unless I just spend the day at the beach. We are a couple that loves to enjoy sitting on the beach reading a book and playing in the water...

So I'm looking at the Wyndham and Sheraton.

My questionis: Is the beach as beautiful as Atlantis??? I can't seam to find any pictures of the resorts except for the Wyndham or Sheraton websites and they don't give a lot of really good detail.

Also is it open water or is it located in the ship channel area or bay? I want to enjoy some waves...

Is it easy to catch a taxi over to these resorts? or book through Carnival?

Next questions...

Our next stop is Freeport and on our last trip we went to Port Lucaya, I didn't care for it either... No bathroom... They were broken... And the resort behind us was empty... It was really weird... We didn't go all the way over to the Radision, but went to the little hut area and swam... Where else do you suggest we go for a beach area?????

Texnewbie

Edited by texnewbie

I am going to nassau and freeport the first week of September. Are there any beaches that have less jelly fish then others. I was thinking of going to the Sheraton but I am worried about being stung by a jelly fish or my 4 year old. Does anyone think the Sessafe lotion works?

Thanks for posting the photo of the beach.

Were you bothered by any vendors while you were there?

No vendors approached us and I don't recall seeing any except at the huts on the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to be in Nassau in 3 weeks. We have an 11 year old and would like a beach day that includes snorkeling, and maybe a banana boat ride or other motorized water activity. Wyndham or Sheraton? or maybe Atlantis? Atlantis is pricey though! Thoughts? or other suggestion? Do you I have to make reservations prior to arriving?

We are going to be in Nassau in 3 weeks. We have an 11 year old and would like a beach day that includes snorkeling, and maybe a banana boat ride or other motorized water activity. Wyndham or Sheraton? or maybe Atlantis? Atlantis is pricey though! Thoughts? or other suggestion? Do you I have to make reservations prior to arriving?

Sheraton is the only one with all these activities. banana boat and other motorizd activities are available thru outside vendors from the beach.

Jet ski's are not recommended.

Thanks for letting us know we can just walk up the beach. In another review they went thru town and i got confused...which is easy. Lol. So how far is the straw market? Or any shopping. We went to Nassau Feb of 2011 and from what I see things have changed. We just stayed by the pier and visited a few local shops. I want a place to buy local liquor and purses. :D thanks for any help.

Is the Sheraton within walking distance to Atlantis or do you need to take a taxi?

No, not within walking distance. Sheraton is west of the dock, Atlantis is north east, on a separate island.

You'll need either a cab or jitney for the Sheraton (#10 jitney is $1.25pp).

Atlantis can be accessed by cab ($4) or ferry ($4) No public busses are allowed on Paradise Island/Atlantis.

In my review, I posted pictures of the route to Junkanoo Beach. It is a step by step if you are interested in a visual aid. I am a visual person. :D We went to Freeport and Nassau. If you are just interested in what we did in Nassau you can skip to Page 2 and beginning at Post #38 is our Nassau trip and our walking path to Junkanoo Beach. We had a great time and are going back in December.

This is my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1605466

In my review, I posted pictures of the route to Junkanoo Beach. It is a step by step if you are interested in a visual aid. I am a visual person. :D We went to Freeport and Nassau. If you are just interested in what we did in Nassau you can skip to Page 2 and beginning at Post #38 is our Nassau trip and our walking path to Junkanoo Beach. We had a great time and are going back in December.

This is my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1605466

Can you post them here.

Your review and photos is nice, but too lengthy :o

We were just at Junkanoo beach last week (5/28/12). The beach is nice, has white sand and clear calm water but there was quite a bit of broken glass in the sand and even into the water. So if you go just watch where you step!

Just returned from a cruise stopping in Nassau Memorial Day weekend. Though, I appreciate all Bahamian's are not the same, I am compelled to share my Horrible experience. As a frequent passanger on various cruises, we stopped again in the Bahama's.

This time, decided to go to the beach, and requested this to our taxi driver. He quickly dropped us off at Cabbage Beach, as I'd requested a location that rented jetski's and had parasailing...etc...I was quickly greeted by a local man, who said he'd rent us 2 jetski's for $280.

My husband and daughter left on one, and the second was followed by my son and his fiance (after he stalled and had to have the ski started again...several times.)

After a short time, 30 minutes later, my husband returned with my daughter in law-to-be on his ski, and a report to myself and the onshore vendors, my son and daughter were stranded on a sunk ski out by an island treading water far from shore, we could not see them. My husband informed the vendor who continued to do business, when he finished his ski rental, he then proceeded to go look for my kids. My husband tired to follow and was quickly stopped by another rental person, as he decided he was going to rent the ski to another couple and after his rental returned he could finish his time.

I, needless to say was beside myself. 10 Minutes or so later, the vendor returns declaring he can't find my kids (again let me tell you they were left in the water with a sunk jetski treading water). My husband redirected him and 30 or so minutes later my kids come walking up the beach.

During the time this situation was happening I decided to AGGRESSIVELY warn all AMERICAN's or travelers of the kind of business practice these individuals were conducting, safety was clearly not in their vocabulary, as it appeared all they wanted to do was make the almighty dollar.

TRAVELERS BEWARE! These individuals on paradise island are huslers and swindlers. My husband was assalted by one as I was warning american's not to rent jetski's and they were unsafe. Other Amerian's video taped the aggression of the vendors, We finally contacted a Port Authority Indivdual and Policeman who negotiated the return of half our money, but we lost 6 hours of our day, witnessed other renters stranded in the water with sunk ski's, and we could have lost so much more...our children. Please this is not a hoax, but a warning, becareful when frequenting this beach for your safety and the safety of the ones you love.

Lastly, please be aware...it is our understanding from the Port Authority, these individuals who own the ski's will pull up on any random beach in Nassau to try to rent the ski to the tourists. You may not be approached on only Cabbage beach but other beaches as well. If you decide to rent you could be taking your life into your own hands. Please be careful and be safe.

Edited by schrei

Sorry this happened to you. I've been warning folks for years about these guys. They are mostly con men, and are not insured.

People are frequently ripped off.. and even worse, these machines are not in good shape and cause accidents. Some fatal. The gov't has been trying to shut them down for years.

For those who still want to venture out.. the going rate is $60 for 1/2 hour. Check your machine, your gas and you're belongings.