Cable beach/junkanoo beach or Cabbage Beach?

michelle028

Things have changed this year, the area is built up, the restrooms are open year round and there are concession stands as well. There's even a stage set up for local music during spring break and high season.

Scubagirrl, do they have chairs for rent? What about umbrellas or is there shade to sit under? I remember reading at one point about alot of glass on the beach. Is this still the case or can you be barefoot going into the water with no issues.

What kind of concession stands? Hubby loves to buy lunch at the local places.

Are the any water sports for rent - waverunners?

Thanks

Crystal Clear and calm.. I should warn you.. it's the main beach for Spring breakers.. so there will be plenty of drinking going on those weeks, as well as volleyball, games and even music.

If you're into that.. there's plenty of room to spread out. If your not.. you might have to head to the Hilton or Sheraton to get away from the breaker.

We will be back again weekend of March 23rd. Is this huge spring breakers for Junkanoo?

Scubagirrl, do they have chairs for rent? What about umbrellas or is there shade to sit under? I remember reading at one point about alot of glass on the beach. Is this still the case or can you be barefoot going into the water with no issues.

What kind of concession stands? Hubby loves to buy lunch at the local places.

Are the any water sports for rent - waverunners?

Thanks

They have chairs for rent, I don't think umbrellas are available, There is some shade along the eastern part of the beach.

Haven't heard complaints of glass lately. But you never know.

I know concessions sell conch fritters, ice cream and there's a bar. Don't know what type of food.. but I assume it's hot dogs and burgers.. maybe someone can add to this.

No wave runners or any other motorized sports are allowed in this area, since it's in the harbour.

At the sheraton, there are no reservations. (and no lunch option, except that you can buy lunch at the grill on the premises).

Don't know what time of year you are going, but if you are looking to go during spring break, you may have a problem. They sometimes turn young people away .. going with a baby may make it better.

Sheraton does NOT allow spring break partying to interupt the hotel guests, so they restrict the crowds during those weeks.

scubagirrl, my daughter and 3 friends ages 20-21 will be there at the end of March. They are not partiers and were hoping to have a relaxing beach day away from any possible spring break happenings by going to the Sheraton. Are you saying that it is likely that they will not be allowed in, or just possible? Is it worth them trying to get in and if refused, go to Junkanoo?

Does the Sheraton provide you with in/out privileges if they wanted to go somewhere else for lunch and return in the afternoon? Is there anything like the Fish Fry out in the area of the Sheraton?

They have chairs for rent, I don't think umbrellas are available, There is some shade along the eastern part of the beach.

Haven't heard complaints of glass lately. But you never know.

I know concessions sell conch fritters, ice cream and there's a bar. Don't know what type of food.. but I assume it's hot dogs and burgers.. maybe someone can add to this.

No wave runners or any other motorized sports are allowed in this area, since it's in the harbour.

I think we might try this beach this time around and see how it is. We for sure have to do Sheraton in July as we will have our goddaughter with us and we want to let her go on a wave runner out there. But if we like Junkanoo, we will probably do that moving forward when it is just us as then we don't have to pay for the resort and we can take our own drinks with us which will be nice. hubby will love to try the concessions. Thanks

I think we might try this beach this time around and see how it is. We for sure have to do Sheraton in July as we will have our goddaughter with us and we want to let her go on a wave runner out there. But if we like Junkanoo, we will probably do that moving forward when it is just us as then we don't have to pay for the resort and we can take our own drinks with us which will be nice. hubby will love to try the concessions. Thanks

Unless you god daughter is 18 and knows how to ride a jet ski.. I wouldn't chance it. The waters are filled with jet skis novices and people trying to swim, snorkel and kayak. We have horrible accidents every season. Some Fatal. Unfortunately this is an unregulated sport.. with unlicensed and uninsured vendors.

Unless you're a pro, stay off of them.

Unless you god daughter is 18 and knows how to ride a jet ski.. I wouldn't chance it. The waters are filled with jet skis novices and people trying to swim, snorkel and kayak. We have horrible accidents every season. Some Fatal. Unfortunately this is an unregulated sport.. with unlicensed and uninsured vendors.

Unless you're a pro, stay off of them.

She is 18 and her parents have jet skis, so she is very familiar with them. Would not have done it otherwise.

scubagirrl, my daughter and 3 friends ages 20-21 will be there at the end of March. They are not partiers and were hoping to have a relaxing beach day away from any possible spring break happenings by going to the Sheraton. Are you saying that it is likely that they will not be allowed in, or just possible? Is it worth them trying to get in and if refused, go to Junkanoo?

Does the Sheraton provide you with in/out privileges if they wanted to go somewhere else for lunch and return in the afternoon? Is there anything like the Fish Fry out in the area of the Sheraton?

Whether or not they will be allowed is up to what is happening that particular day, how crowded it is, occupancy rate etc. There's no telling. There is NOT a policy in place, just a policy to keep things from getting out of hand and to keep the noise down so that paying guests are not disturbed.

If worse comes to worse.. they can always go next door to the wyndham.. it's a little pricier.. but they get a buffet lunch. wyndham has NOT been turning people away in the past.

During Spring Break, security tries to keep people from crossing from one property to the other.

Both properties give wrist bands.. but there is no "fish fry" type place near the sheraton.. and with service so slow at these type of places,, I wouldnt waste that much time going off the property.

The Daq Shack is across the street.. maybe go for a drink and mingle..

Scuba Girl please give me your opinion : We are cruising there October 9th and 10th to Nassau , Freeport . What do you recommend beach wise with a 9 year old daughter. hubby and myself doing. Which is the safest beach? great places you recommend us seeing and eating at? Thanks for all the help you do on the board here answering questions for us all.

Whether or not they will be allowed is up to what is happening that particular day, how crowded it is, occupancy rate etc. There's no telling. There is NOT a policy in place, just a policy to keep things from getting out of hand and to keep the noise down so that paying guests are not disturbed.

If worse comes to worse.. they can always go next door to the wyndham.. it's a little pricier.. but they get a buffet lunch. wyndham has NOT been turning people away in the past.

During Spring Break, security tries to keep people from crossing from one property to the other.

Both properties give wrist bands.. but there is no "fish fry" type place near the sheraton.. and with service so slow at these type of places,, I wouldnt waste that much time going off the property.

The Daq Shack is across the street.. maybe go for a drink and mingle..

Thanks a lot for the information. They are young and I am sure they will be able to adapt if they have too.

scubagirl...looking at google earth i have found Junkanoo Beach. Through the parking lot to the west (I assume for the British Colonial Hilton) and about 500 ft down West Bay St. is another beach which looks much bigger and less developed. What is that beach and is it safe?

scubagirl...looking at google earth i have found Junkanoo Beach. Through the parking lot to the west (I assume for the British Colonial Hilton) and about 500 ft down West Bay St. is another beach which looks much bigger and less developed. What is that beach and is it safe?

If it's the same beach but down further.. it's the western esplanade aka Araway Cay. .. beyond arawak cay is not a nice area for swimming. It's mostly roots and coral jettings. You would have to travel a bit towards Cable Beach to find another sandy beach.

How slow is the service at the Fish Fry? If we left the Sheraton at 3 and went there- would an hour be long enough? How long is the usual wait for food?

An hour would likely be the least amount of time you would need to get served.. then you'd have to gobble it down and wait another 15 minutes for the check.. and another 15 for your change.

It's NOT a place to go on a timeline.

Hello, we will be in Nassau mid March.We like a beach with waves,palm trees,and wide sand.What beach do you recommend? 2 adults,dont care about amenties! Thanks:)

If you want waves, Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island will do the trick.

You can take a cab from port (about $4pp) or take the ferry ($4) and get a tour of the harbour and then walk a few blocks to the beach entrance next to the RIU hotel.

Cabbage Beach is the SAME beach as Atlantis.. it's just up the beach a few meters.

I don't recommend this beach for small kids, but for adults looking for waves.. it's fine. there's a drop off.. and during certain tides and weather.. you may find a rip tide.. so be careful. There are no lifeguards.

How slow is the service at the Fish Fry? If we left the Sheraton at 3 and went there- would an hour be long enough? How long is the usual wait for food?

We had lunch at Twin Brothers in Fish Fry just 2 days ago and the service was painful. Took 2 hours for what should have been a 45-60 minute lunch (baked chicken and conch salad). It's a pleasant place and the food was terrific, but wow...unbelievably slow service, and the place wasn't slammed.

Spent some time along Junkanoo beach, too. Never felt unsafe in any way, it was pleasantly busy, but not great if you like to stroll. The waterline area is broken up by several short piers.

IMO it's safe for two woment to walk along Junkanoo Beach. I wouldn't walk there by myself, but I wouldn't be likely to walk in any strange city alone.

The atmosphere seemed very friendly, even with a fair number of drinks being served. There were families everywhere. I'd be confident in walking there with a friend.

• 2 months later...
Scuba Girl please give me your opinion : We are cruising there October 9th and 10th to Nassau , Freeport . What do you recommend beach wise with a 9 year old daughter. hubby and myself doing. Which is the safest beach? great places you recommend us seeing and eating at? Thanks for all the help you do on the board here answering questions for us all.

Have you checked out Trip Advisor? There is a lot of good info there for the taking on places to eat/things to do and see in Nassau and Freeport, as well as on the beaches. There's also a lot of good info that scubgirrl and others have already provided in threads on this board, if you do a search. There's a whole thread on beaches in Freeport (I can't wait to try Taino Beach when I go in the fall) giving the pros and cons.

Again, not being scubagirrl but having read many of her threads, it seems that any of the frequented beaches are safe, you just need to avoid the out of the way beaches. Also, with a nine-year-old, you may want to go to a beach with a lifeguard (so not Junkanoo beach or Cable beach, where the waves are pretty notorious).

I'm sure it gets a little tiresome answering the same questions over and over for her, but she does do great work on the boards. If you search around a bit, you'll be bound to find things of interest. Your daughter might enjoy the Zoo in Nassau, for example, with the flamingo parade.