Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Just to clarify. NO BLACK BOX DATA HAS BEEN RELEASED from a source with any credibility. All of the vessel tracks, transcripts, etc, are from other systems such as AIS, etc.

The black box data will be evidence in a criminal investigation and will NOT be publicly released anytime soon at least in quantity.

The rocks are in the charts. They have found them. It matches with the black box data. They obviously turned too late and therefore got too close to the shore.

He IS proven guilty by so many documents and interviews HE has given.

You have an accident simply when for some reason you turn too late! That' when you get too close... and can't do anything about it...

300 metres being the legal minimum to shore it already is a severe mistake of going to that limit when Costas rules indicate more than the 300 metres as a minimum...

on friday 13, francesco schettino was in reality carrying out a dare, an act of bravado. To show "once again" how great he was at sea. Which, as we shall show, he had already done. On the same ship, december 17.

wow!

OneOneNiner....I am not trying to address if or what the captain is guilty of...he's the captain and he is guilty when something happens. However, I don't believe he intentionally brought the ship to where it hit the rocks...I think there might have been a chain of events that led to the rocks. Again..that doesn't make him any less guilty.

I think he was trying to stay 300 meters off shore to stay legal...and this has nothing to do with Costa's rules or anything else...I'm just trying to figure out why the ship was where it was. I think he though he had given an order to turn so the ship would be 300 meters off the large rock, Isle scala. He may have indicated that he wanted to turn when the ship reached 350 meters from the mainland (or some distance which would allow the ship to stay 300 meters out as it passed the island. It could have been misinterpreted by the helmsman and navigator who thought they knew what "mainland" meant so they didn't question the order...and to them, mainland meant the main body of land, not including the two rock islets.

It's just a theory....it is not saying the captain wasn't at fault, it's just suggesting that he wasn't completely incompetent prior to the accident. After the rock pierced the hull is a whole different story and we have bits and pieces of facts, none of which look good for the captain other than he likely saved many many lives by grounding the ship, possibly using the anchor to do a very dangerous sharp turn.

Milaandra I think growing up in an Italian family makes my perspective different. He almost sounds like one of my uncles (whom to this day still kind of scares me ;)). I think given the situation he's just trying to take control and frustrated at how the Captain abandoned ship. I think if I was part of the rescue effort and I was dealing with someone like this (the Captain) I'd be very irate (I may not have acted the same way as the commander), but I believe it was more out of his frustration at the situation. Plus, like they say, Italians are very passionate people :p

BE CAREFUL - some here will call you RACIST by saying things like that. :) They will say that only some Italians are "very passionate" - and even then, no more than any other Nationality. They will even say "YOU CAN'T SAY THAT!" :p

Barry

Not sure if this has been brought up, but what if you are in one of the elevators when something like this happens. I read that there was only a small generator left for emergency lighting, but I don't know if that would get the elevators open. I like to take the stairs as much as possible to avoid weight gain, but this just got me wondering.

capitano.jpg

I think this photograph says it all.

When I woke up this morning listening to the dramatic replay that the whole world must have listened to, two things came to mind.

“ Cometh the hour, cometh the man”

I am sure that there were scores, if not hundreds, of men and women that did come forward on the fateful night but obviously our captain was not of them.

BUT I was also reminded of the British major ordering the shell shocked soldier over the trenches in WWI. I do not think the captain would have done much good if he had gone back. He was in the same state as the WW1 soldier.

It also brings into question the selection and promotion procedures of marine officers.

I think what the Coast Guard was telling him to do was "climb up the ladder at the bow" (where the rescue crew was waiting) and walk along the now nearly horizontal hull to where the passengers are gathered and tell me how many there are....

One of the reported English translations of that conversation referred to the "pilot's ladder" (on many ships the pilot has to go from the pilot boat to a flexible ladder on the way to the bridge). I would guess that the flexible ladder the passengers were climbing down was not the pilot's ladder but instead one stored on an upper deck for just that reason, maybe near the inflatable rafts.

There is a picture towards the bottom of this series that shows the debris floating around inside the ship. It must be nearly impossible for the divers to find anything. The good news is that it shows some areas still have air.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/01/the-wreck-of-the-costa-concordia/100224/

Not sure if this has been brought up, but what if you are in one of the elevators when something like this happens. I read that there was only a small generator left for emergency lighting, but I don't know if that would get the elevators open. I like to take the stairs as much as possible to avoid weight gain, but this just got me wondering.

As far as I know you're not supposed to use elevators in emergency situations. If you do, it's at your own risk. With the ship tilting, I wouldn't dare! I hope nobody did!!!

Hard to say, cccer, I know in a fire emergency with alarms active, the elevators can be recalled to their 'home' floor (typically the ground) with cabs open. I don't know how it works aboard a ship, however or if the generator could power the cabs down.

The thing is that it's unconceivable that a captain abandons the ship while the rescue operations are taking place.

I think we have to define abandoning the ship. According to the phone conversation (whether lies or truth), the captain seemed to think that being in the water around the ship wasn't abandoning it.

Does anyone know?

Also, was that lifeboat containing the captain from port or starboard?

Now, it seems that he did eventually abandon ship (even the surrounding waters) when he was seen on the dock around midnight, and then took a cab.

But while he was floating around the vessel, was that abandoning ship?

concernedcostaemployee.....thank you for that long translated article which starts to give some information about what played out on the bridge that night. It is good news, not unexpected, that the police are investigating multiple items including the actions of Costa in all this...and they are of course getting statements from everyone involved so they can try to figure out the truth and the time line.

Please keep us up to date if you see any more information.

I think we have to define abandoning the ship. According to the phone conversation (whether lies or truth), the captain seemed to think that being in the water around the ship wasn't abandoning it.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He could not answer the Port Authority's questions regarding the status of the evacuation and the passengers. They needed him on that ship to help coordinate efforts. The crew needed him to issue orders. He abandoned ship, he will be prosecuted.

Barry...I thought that as I wrote, but being 3/4 Italian myself I didn't mean it in a negative way. I'm sure you're right that some people may take offence, but honestly, whether people admit to it or not, there is some truth to stereotypes.

Anyway, back to the topic...;)

If this "new" information is true or not it does make the captain look very pompous, but ultimately, a big talker that was really a wimp.

5326Jan, I wish that air would be good news but I'm afraid that at this point it's not enough to survive for 4 days in those conditions: nothing to drink and hypothermia would be enough. That is what the rescue people said in an interview today. I hope that there are still people somewhere not registered (today they found one or two back to Germany).

There is a picture towards the bottom of this series that shows the debris floating around inside the ship. It must be nearly impossible for the divers to find anything. The good news is that it shows some areas still have air.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/01/the-wreck-of-the-costa-concordia/100224/

He is in a restaurant that is partially submerged and partially above the current waterline of the ship.

Does anyone know?

Also, was that lifeboat containing the captain from port or starboard?

Now, it seems that he did eventually abandon ship (even the surrounding waters) when he was seen on the dock around midnight, and then took a cab.

Did you NOT read the transcript between De Falco and Schettino?:confused:

Really??? I Don't Think we need to Define ANYTHING !!

How's this for a Definition.....Captain Schettino is an lying egotistic coward.

Okay, so what if he would have stayed on the ship and helped? Would the outcome of his penalty be any different for him if he is found to have caused this in the first place? I highly doubt it, and people would just be on a rampage about something else regarding him and the situation.

His leaving the ship was the end of a trail of incompetence that cost the lives of many people... He had an obligation to do what was right for the ship, the passengers and the crew... he ditched all of it in favor of personal glory... he should have manned up and made sure everyone got off the ship safely.. he had plenty of time and squandered it being indecisive....

,...and you are darn right we are on a rampage..!!! are you suggesting there is ANY reason at this stage not to be?

..given what we know?... how bad it is known to be?.... how much worse it is likely to really be once we know it all? do you think anyone cares anything at all about what his penalty is other than he never sees the light of day again?

Okay, well. So much for asking questions.

What you have from the De Falco/Schettino conversation is De Falco's view that Schettino was violating the law by abandoning the ship....that does not mean that the law was broken...just that De Falco thought it was. It would be interesting to see how the law is written....certainly I can see a situation where the captain is cut off from what is happening and gets in a lifeboat to see (not in this situation...just an example). So the question of what "abandoning ship" means in the Italian law is a valid one.

Your "definition" is obviously your point of view.

Archived