Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

What would I have done if I was there....

http://www.kcra.com/video/30264951/detail.html

Passengers need to be assured that the information over the public address will be SMART (Specific Manageable Accurate Timely).

If people are fed BS ( such as it's only an electrical problem, when the ship is listing) they will not have confidence to follow instructions and then chaos will follow.

If I'm in a building and they give BS announcements I can walk out the door to safety...I can't walk off the ship.

According on what i had read on some italian newspaper, i can confirm that italian police has taken samples of his hair to check for drugs and alchool, the results will be avaiable on the next weeks.

As far as I have understood, this was not done by the police. Thought that a blood-test would be the standard thing to do when a serious accident has been caused- particularly considering irresponsible and strange behavior as in this case!

As far as I have understood, this was not done by the police. Thought that a blood-test would be the standard thing to do when a serious accident has been caused- particularly considering irresponsible and strange behavior as in this case!

I can confirm (according from what i had read on newspapesr and heard on TV news) that this test was done by the police under order of the persecutor.

The test was not done immediatly but on following day (saturday or sunday).

Schettino can not hide if he had taken drugs, and its seems that this test can also reveal if he had drink, even with not same accuracy of immediatly alchol test from breathing.

You should understand that this island its very very small and the primary concern from the few police officers that was on duty there, it was to try to save as much people as possibile.

Right now the primary concern of the persecutor (as you could had seen on the article i had posted before today) its to see if there are responsability of the company on delay the mayday, this delay may have caused the death of the people.

If this will be confirmed the death of people will not be by accident, but could even be condiderd first degree murder and top executive of company may also be persecuted. If this happen they could even face all life in jail sentence.

I just looked too. The sun is coming up now. Does anyone know what that big orange line in the water is?
Those are oil booms, to stop any leakages from the ship from going ashore. (No leaks have been seen yet to my knowledge) Its a precautionary meansure to minimise any possible pollution

rgds

:)

WARNING - not for the technically inclined. This tabloid summary reads like a tragic Italian opera, is quite deficient on hard forensic evidence and probably contains many inaccuracies, assumptions and lies.

But if you think you can read between the lines of goss (and like pictures of pretty girls) Click here.

"For me it was worse than the Titanic. There were children crying in front of me... children dying and I couldn't do anything to save them," he laments ... Temudo says he saw 5-6 casualties including a 2-year-old Italian girl and an Indonesian who managed to reach shore but died due to the bitter cold." :(

Strange. The only child on the missing list is 5 years old. She is Italian, but she's definitely on the missing list at this point, not the list of the dead. I also haven't seen any reports of an Indonesian dying. The reports have identified all but three of the dead, and those three, according to the news, were found aboard the vessel.

Is it possible he saw people being taken away by ambulance and just assumed they were dead?

We have thought from the start that the ship was grounded more by wind and tide than by design. The latest theories are that she still could navigate by bow thrusters......

But, I predict the next fabrication by Schettino is that he put that ship in a Williamson turn (miraculously with no power and listing badly to starboard no less) to get the Concordia on the beach, thus saving all those lives....and he did it while yakking on the phone with Costa, the Coast Guard, and whoever else.....:rolleyes:

Well, its amazing that the ship's course can be plotted so acurately (referring to the GCaptain chart), but let's focus on this aspect a bit. Schettino says he did exactly the same sail by before and didn't hit... doesn't understand what went wrong this time! And, yes, I have seen a post earlier showing that on his previous sail by he got closer to the island, perhaps missing the same reef by about 20 feet. Now try to tell me any ship's master can navigate a ship this size to an accuracy of 20 feet.

In other words, if wind & wave conditions, or the ships' speed, had been just a bit different that previous time (and other times??) the shipwreck would have occurred earler.... the gash & subsequent course would have been different...it could have had far more dire consequences.....

So, there are thousands of people out there who have been taken on sail-bys past this island who could easily be resting in Davy's locker!!!

Next..... what about the deck officers on those earier sail bys? If they didn't notice how close the ship came to disaster were they not profoundly incompetent? And if they did notice....and did nothing...... surely they must have been very negligent in not reporting a 'near miss' that could have killed thousands of people?

Same question for those experienced mariners ashore who must know their local topography well.........they must have known about these sail-bys, enormous Costa liners charging past just a few yards off-shore this rocky island, honking its whistle & cheering ......and they never thought to report such a hazardous occurrence?

So, throw the book at Scettino for sure.... but lets not forget to chase up all those others responsible and think also about the absurdity of having the technology to plot a course like the one above but not to be able to have a way of looking at it & saying 'Jeez,.... that ship was only inches away from coming to grief! We'd better report this.'

One last thing. Lets stop saying the ship hit a rock. That rock is a part of the rocky beach environment of the island. Schettino didn't hit some uncharted rogue rock. He ran aground, he hit the island he planned to sail by, as he (and others) so very nearly ran aground on previous occasions when many thousands could have died.

Isn't this the biggest thing for Costa to address?

She denied the captain was even at her table, contrary to what several witnesses have stated and who have photograpic evidence of the encounter.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/woman-denies-she-is-lover-of-capsized-ships-captain-181013.html#ixzz1k3KZD88h

Photographic evidence? Other than the one photograph that shows a blond woman at a table in the background of a photo of a man and the man's head blocks out the rest of the table?

What has happened to journalism? I'm having a hard time believing anything I read at this point!

.................I worked onboard a cruise ship for 2 years. ......

The general crew (hotel operation, not ship operation) must go by the orders they are receiving from the bridge. ...........

They did what they "should" until it became evident that the situation was much more severe than they were being told. Until they get an evacuation order, the crew that most passengers see on a daily basis are simply told that things are under control, the situation is being handled/assessed and to keep passengers calm. Just my two cents on the issue (and yes, I worked within the Carnival Corp. umbrella)

I saw the following

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16575409

Where Rose Metcalf, part of the entertainment crew, speaks of her experience. At one point she talks of getting directions via ????inaudible

I would like your to hear from your or others who have worked as staff on cruise ships on the way that you, the staff, get your information during an incident. Is it via a pager?? or text message? Who gives those directions? Are those messages deleted? It could make for interesting/vital insight into the mis/information coming from those in charge.

I saw the following

Where Rose Metcalf, part of the entertainment crew, speaks of her experience. At one point she talks of getting directions via ????inaudible

I would like your to hear from your or others who have worked as staff on cruise ships on the way that you, the staff, get your information during an incident. Is it via a pager?? or text message? Who gives those directions? Are those messages deleted? It could make for interesting/vital insight into the mis/information coming from those in charge.

Senior staff have pagers, but I don't believe all the stewards and waiters do. To my knowledge, message to crew/staff come over the PA system, often in code (Code Alpha etc.), or a message prefaced with "Crew only". They could hardly announce "Crew only. We have put a bl....y big hole in the bottom of the ship. It's every man or woman for themselves." Sorry for the humour in such tragic circumstances. :)

Not being told what was happening would have made the situation worse. Once the Assessment Party had determined the extent of the emergency, passengers should have been instructed to make their way to their cabins to retrieve life jackets and go immediately to their muster stations.

I think this is a great idea, I know I for one it sometimes takes be 1/2 hour to find my own cabin. If you had something in relation to your sign & sail card/application that was activated in an emergency that directed you by gps to a muster station that would be a miracle to save lives. Get your invention going!

I only have one of my cards here, from NCL. It has my muster station clearly printed on it. It says the deck, the area and even says "outside of Le Bistro" So, as long as you take a minute to read your card and look at a map of the ship (which is included with your card), you should know where to go.

If you're going to invent a nifty electronic device, I'd like to see a "homing" signal in the card. Then by looking at a screen, someone could see where stragglers were for rescue or recovery.

Photographic evidence? Other than the one photograph that shows a blond woman at a table in the background of a photo of a man and the man's head blocks out the rest of the table?

What has happened to journalism? I'm having a hard time believing anything I read at this point!

I hope I qualified the post, it was a few back, "What has happened to journalism?" I agree I am still seeing other cruiseship youtube video as content in articles such as the UK Sun. I am just putting what is out there

What would have caused people to get trapped? I'm sorry if that sounds ignorant ... I have been wondering since this happened, and didn't really know how to phrase it without sounding like an idiot. I know some people just jumped and swam to shore, or maybe couldn't swim and drowned. One guy that died went back to his cabin for his violin ... but why wouldn't he have been able to get back out? Do doors lock or something? Or did the ship just fill with water that quickly?

As I understand it, it seems the ship was at a stable list for a while, then shifted to a more pronounced list, which put deck floors at a nasty angle, caused furniture and other items to fall and water to fill some areas of the ship. The Korean couple who were found alive in their cabin said they couldn't scale the sloping corridor. In some areas ropes and ladders were used to get people to safer parts of the ship. As the ship was beached, there was a point where that listing stopped, but the final angle was something like 80 degrees? I would guess that some of the victims were injured or trapped by falling debris and some would be physically unable to climb to safety. I believe three were found in the water, and I read that at least two others slipped into the water. I'm afraid they may find more bodies that either jumped or slipped into the sea.

I think we'll get more details later on.

I only have one of my cards here, from NCL. It has my muster station clearly printed on it. It says the deck, the area and even says "outside of Le Bistro" So, as long as you take a minute to read your card and look at a map of the ship (which is included with your card), you should know where to go.

If you're going to invent a nifty electronic device, I'd like to see a "homing" signal in the card. Then by looking at a screen, someone could see where stragglers were for rescue or recovery.

Ah, I see that there is something like that...sorry. Didn't read all the posts before responding.

HI

I am curious to know if any Italian first responders got on board the ship as it was sinking to aid in the rescue. All the pictures I've seen so far don't indicate this.

The assistant mayor definitely got on board and helped for 6 hours:) and there were more by Coast Guard reports.

The assistant mayor definitely got on board and helped for 6 hours:) and there were more by Coast Guard reports.

There didn't seem to be any coordinated organized effort by local authorities to aid in the evacuation. The passenger accounts all agreed that there was no authority on board directing the rescue. This accident took place within 30 or so miles from Rome and not in the middle of the ocean.

Guests on the bridge, personal transponders, folks get a grip.

Guests on the bridge or not they would not be driving the boat.

Even if they did do you really think they would do anything other than what they were told to do. A guest would likely make a better helmsperson for 10 min than the rating assigned to the position, they would be terrified of doing anything wrong. Still and all the Bridge is the Captains responsibility no matter who might be at the wheel or polishing the brass.

Also would you really expect anyone to search for you on board during an abandon ship emergency, existing ship ID cards will do just fine. Also consider that the transponders will not broadcast properly underwater. If you are still alive and trapped in a compartment the the best option will be to bang anything hard against something else hard. Sound carries a very long distance underwater, you can bet the SAR people have microphones deployed listening for trapped passengers.

I saw the following

My daughter is currently working on board Celebrity Silhouette and she has a ship cell phone on her all the time. As one of the cruise director's staff I would imagine any important messages from the bridge would be relayed to her via the CD pretty quickly. There are also many telephones all over the ship that can be used if signals are lost on cell phones.

Archived