Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

She was wearing elegant dinner clothes — a cashmere sweater, a silk scarf — along with a large pair of hiking boots, which an islander gave her after she lost her shoes in the scramble to escape, along with her passport, credit cards and phone.

I've been thinking all morning about how important it is to be prepared for emergencies while onboard. Things like keeping paperwork, medicine, etc. together and ready to grab in the event of an emergency will certainly be more of a priority now. Who knows? You could only have moments to take "what matters" in an event like this.

B

Events like this underscore the visceral dread feeling some of us get when we hear fellow cruise passengers demand a cruise is all about them and their needs, wants and desires, and not accept the fact we are all sharing a fragile shared space and at any given time we may all have to work together for everyone's health and safety.

When we see people shove in line, make outrageous demands of staff, and be oblivious to the comfort or courtesies of those around them, I hope to goodness we never have to share a situation like this with them. Trivial in retrospect but perhaps this is why "dress guideline" threads generate the gravitas unrelated to the trivialness of the surface issue.

"Rules" are to be obeyed when on steps onboard so when some passengers start to cherry-pick some "rules" over others based upon their own subjective judgement, it does send sub-conscious chills that undermine the collective group behavior that may be necessary later, if faced with these extreme sorts of group behavior demands.

The recent incident on the Ryndam with the drunken passenger breaking the "rules", entering prohibited areas, and fouling with the anchor system shows how fragile our unwritten compact with each other is when we share this space.

CCL stock is registering this event so it has been noticed as a "corporation" problem - down 2.24% so far today. CCL has some explaining to do.

CCL stock will take more than a 2% hit on Monday when the markets open, that you can count on.

MTS Oceanos was a French-built and Greek-owned cruise ship which sank off South Africa's eastern coast on 4 August 1991.

Captain Yiannis Avranas was accused by the passengers of leaving hundreds behind with no one other than the ship's onboard

entertainers to help them evacuate.

Avranas claimed that he left the ship first in order to arrange for a rescue effort,

and then supervised the rescue effort from a helicopter.

Avranas stated, "When I give the order abandon ship, it doesn't matter

what time I leave. Abandon is for everybody. If some people want to stay, they can stay."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTS_Oceanos

When reading about this tragedy you have to wonder what was going on on the bridge before this occurred. If you read Captain Alberts Log you appreciate much of what goes into navigating a ship. Check, double check and constant monitoring on the bridge is what should take place. It will be some time before a clear set of facts materializes but until then there will be alot of very nervous people and companies.

PS to SwissMyst --- On the Titanic Mrs Duff Gordon reportedly got off the ship with all her luggage.

I can't believe we don't really have more information this morning. The fatality count is ranging depending on what you read, from 3 to 30. I wonder what the truth is.

Here's hoping it's only the 3 side, though any way you look at it -- a major tragedy has been avoided considering the numbers we could be looking at.

There is a man over on the costa thread about this who is desperately trying to find his girlfriend. :( How scared he must be.

One report said that the captain was off the ship before the rest of the people - I thought the rule was that the captain "must go down with his ship" so to speak and that they are the last one off?? Has this changed in this day and age?

I didn't want to ask it on the Costa thread out of respect for whats going on, but it did have me curious.

Yes -- Greek Ship -- Greek Captain - Greek crew -- they were all of the ship before the passengers were off and the ship sank.

I remember that incident very well.

Achile Lauro incident - later part of MSC cruise lines

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/30/newsid_2525000/2525643.stm

In hate to go too far before all the facts are in... but, if it's true that the Captain steered the ship towards shallow water to make evacuation easier, then imagine the lives he saved...

^ quoted for truth.

The decision to drive her into the shallows, most likely right to the lighthouse, certainly saved lives and will help to make salvage much easier.

Such a tragedy.

Derek

^ quoted for truth.

The decision to drive her into the shallows, most likely right to the lighthouse, certainly saved lives and will help to make salvage much easier.

Such a tragedy.

Derek

passenger on the ship being interviewed right now - he confirms after they hit - they definitely headed towards the shallows on purpose. Some swam.

He states they delayed evacuation - tried to send people back. he says they could see the ship was taking on water:eek: and believes that they should have started at least 20 minutes earlier - He states that the passengers were told it was a generator problem. He said he has cruised enough to know the difference. what a horrendous thing to go through

Just reporting what a passenger is stating

I have flipped to Canadian News (CBC) as they are usually pretty accurate. apparently the emergency evacuation was very chaotic. Magician ran from the stage when they felt the hit.

We probably won't know what really happened for a couple of days - but boy, this is awful.

The daughter being interviewed of the Canadian couple who were onboard said that they were now in Rome and Costa was paying for their hotel and expenses.

I heard that same interview on either Fox of CNN. Interesting.

She was wearing elegant dinner clothes — a cashmere sweater, a silk scarf — along with a large pair of hiking boots, which an islander gave her after she lost her shoes in the scramble to escape, along with her passport, credit cards and phone.

I've been thinking all morning about how important it is to be prepared for emergencies while onboard. Things like keeping paperwork, medicine, etc. together and ready to grab in the event of an emergency will certainly be more of a priority now. Who knows? You could only have moments to take "what matters" in an event like this.

B

Makes me think about always wearing a pouch beneath my clothes containing passport and credit card..... at all times. :eek:

Half sunk cruise ship within swimming distance of the shore?

Let the looting (or salvaging) begin.

Gramps

I have heard this area to be pristinely clear, beautiful waters with excellent visibility.

Brings two ideas to mind:

Looting by experienced divers who no doubt are in the region as tour guides and professionals etc if this is a big dive center for the Med.......

AND, sadly, pollution. All the ship's fuel and debris. Draining the fuel has to be a priority to not spoil the waters. Can't be an easy job to get that ship out of there.

So many things my mind, not educated to such situation, can even begin to think need to be handled.

First, the people. Account for all who were there and take care of them, get them new passports, get them travel plans and get them back to their families. Get the best medical care possible for the injured.

The accident will be thoroughly investigated. At this point it is too soon to judge anyone's actions.

When HAL's Prinsendam caught fire and burned off the coast of Alaska in 1980, I remember the rush in the press to seize on something sensational that would grab headlines. In that case, it was that the Indonesian crew all "rushed to the lifeboats ahead of the elderly passengers."

A longtime HAL sales manager in DC explained later to those of us who were his industry colleagues that of course some of the crew had to be in the lifeboats to effect the rescue...go to the helm, hand down passengers, tend to the injured, arrange people to get the maximum on board without overloading, communicate with officers regarding the weights and loads, and so on.

Panicky people pushing to get on misinterpreted ...the crew were simply following training ... then one of these passengers spoke to the press once ashore (everyone got off safely). It made a good headline.

CCL stock is registering this event so it has been noticed as a "corporation" problem - down 2.24% so far today. CCL has some explaining to do.

That was Friday's close in New York - - before this accident happened. No markets on which CCL trade are currently open.

My brother-in-law is the Senior Salvage Master for Titan Salvage and is flying to Italy now with a crew to try and save the ship.

That's really interesting... I hope he can provide you with on-going pictures and updates for us.. If that's possible, unsure.

I wish him luck and safety!

My brother-in-law is the Senior Salvage Master for Titan Salvage and is flying to Italy now with a crew to try and save the ship.

This is so sad. It's amazing to think that something like this could have happened in 2012. Thoughts and prayers go out to all the families involved.

How interesting.

You will have a 'ring side seat' to such fascinating aspects that the rest of us have no clue.

Anything you are able to share with us will be so appreciated. Most of us are fascinated to hear how salvage and securing of the vessel will be handled.

This is so sad. It's amazing to think that something like this could have happened in 2012. Thoughts and prayers go out to all the families involved.

I don't know if your brother-in-law will be able to post anything -- but it sure would interesting to get reports from him.

That was Friday's close in New York - - before this accident happened. No markets on which CCL trade are currently open.

Correct - I was scanning my Yahoo brokerage account reports and forgot about the timing - Thank you for posting the correction of my data.

Stock markets won't be open on Monday -- Martin Luther King Day.

Which is a good thing... cooler heads on the market will prevail after three days, and all the cruise companies will likely not suffer as extreme declines right away...

It will be interesting to see the short term financial ramifications of this across the industry.

As a side note: Nancy and I were commenting that we couldn't imagine what it was like for the parents... as so many parents give their kids the run of the ship around 10:30pm (I'm not saying that's right or wrong). Can you imagine the panic of not knowing where your kids are, or if they are running to the cabin or the lifeboats, etc...?

This is just one small scenario, but what a horrible one.

As for the captain heading towards shallow water.

I can remember a few years ago when we had a fire on the Statendam while we were in Alaska. It was down in the Silos.

Our captain announced that until the fire was completely out, we would be hugging the shore line for the next several hours. He said that if he had to, he could beach the ship and it would only be about a 10 minute tender ride to shore.

According to the news release below from CNN, the captain has been arrested for abandoning the ship.

The captain of a cruise ship that ran aground off the coast of Italy -- killing three people and injuring 20 others -- has been arrested, a local prosecutor said Saturday.

He is being investigated for manslaughter and abandoning ship.

The 4,200-passenger Costa Concordia, owned by Genoa-based Costa Cruises, hit bottom Friday night on a sand bank off the island of Giglio.

Not all passengers have been accounted for.

Ship's captain arrested for manslaughter investigation according to CNN link:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/14/world/europe/italy-cruise-deaths/index.html

NB: I wonder if "detained" and held for investigation would have been a better translation than "arrested for manslaughter" implication.

Archived