Pub lunch

ambelina

Sailed on Ruby in November and had the pub lunch on the 2 sea days. Honestly, the Fish and Chips and Bangers and Mash were fantastic. They were cooked to order and quite delicious. They also offered Shepherd's Pie and a Scotch Egg.

Give it a try.

These posts about Pub Lunch always make me smile. Has anyone thought of starting a chain of restaurants in the US serving british food it seems from comments on hereit would be a hit. Personally, being English, a 'Pub Lunch' is something I did not take part in, Fish and Chips should be cooked in 'dripping' which is lard...white animal fat can't see Princess doing that! Cottage/shepherds pie is the easiest thing to make, mince meat, onion, mushrooms, peas (or what ever you like) cooked with a gravy put in an oven dish with mashed potato on top and grilled until brown, sausage and mash....having that for dinner tonight, Shrimp and chips??? possibly scampi and chips which are like large shrimps fried in breadcrumbs and, well, chips....fries to some. I understand they also offer Ploughmans, bread cheese, ham and pickles. None of it is difficult, give them a try at home and re-live your cruise!

But if I were to ever move to the US I would start a British Restaurant.

The problem in the States is finding Lincolnshire or Cumberland sausage. Nothing else will do for me.

On the Coral this December it was the last two sea days, I think. We really enjoyed it. I was not brave enough to try bangers and mash though.

As another poster said, the bangers are simply an English-style sausage. Really not too different from a not-so-spicy Italian sausage.

It is not anything like "The Haggis". :eek:

I personally would love it if they served "The Haggis". :)

I went to it three times on the Ruby two weeks ago. The shrimp were ok, bit cold. Fish was usually good, one time they were a bit cold. Strange thing is that you can get them with the coating a bit coldish but the fish inside will still be hot. Even then, the fish itself is still good. The fish overall (disagree if you want) is not greasy and in fact, I bet if you took the coating off and just ate the fish, it would be healthy for you as well.

I wish they would add the fish to mdr "anytime" menu.

We never tried it, as hubby was not interested in trying it, but hubby's dad died the day before a cruise, he told me to GO on the cruise, (which I did) and he and his brothers would take care of his dad funeral........so when hubby was not with me, I tried it.

I thought the fish and chips were too greasy but I LOVED the small glob of mashed peas that was on the plate, which was primarily used as a "glue" so the fish would not go sliding off the plate.

I was turned away for the shrimp and fries pub day, as there were no 2 top tables/ or any seats available.....so I returned to my suite and ordered a dining room lunch from room service.

found these recipes that looks like the mashed peas:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mushy-peas-i/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mashed-peas/

Yep, the grease convinced me to go back to eating something a little more healthy. Why eat something like that when there's plenty of better food available all over the ship. It's one step up from eating hot dogs & fries ! ;)

Not brave enough? I thought bangers and mash were simply sausages and mashed potatoes? Am I wrong?

Exactly. Except that the sausage is whitish and doesn't look as appetizing as what we usually think sausages should look like. I can't believe I'm actually responding to this - me, the chicken and broccoli girl! :D

Exactly. Except that the sausage is whitish and doesn't look as appetizing as what we usually think sausages should look like. I can't believe I'm actually responding to this - me, the chicken and broccoli girl! :D

Thanks Pia, I have actually had bangers and mash in Scotland, many years ago, but dont recall them being whitish in color.

These posts about Pub Lunch always make me smile. Has anyone thought of starting a chain of restaurants in the US serving british food it seems from comments on hereit would be a hit. Personally, being English, a 'Pub Lunch' is something I did not take part in, Fish and Chips should be cooked in 'dripping' which is lard...white animal fat can't see Princess doing that! Cottage/shepherds pie is the easiest thing to make, mince meat, onion, mushrooms, peas (or what ever you like) cooked with a gravy put in an oven dish with mashed potato on top and grilled until brown, sausage and mash....having that for dinner tonight, Shrimp and chips??? possibly scampi and chips which are like large shrimps fried in breadcrumbs and, well, chips....fries to some. I understand they also offer Ploughmans, bread cheese, ham and pickles. None of it is difficult, give them a try at home and re-live your cruise!

But if I were to ever move to the US I would start a British Restaurant.

There is a small and IMHO hopefully growing chain of restaurants called "The Pub". My first experience was with one in Beavercreek, Ohio. During four years of my working career, I spent quite a bit of time in the UK and grew to love the "pub grub" along with other things like whisky and the haggis. Going to "The Pub" in Ohio was a real treat. Good British beer, pub food and other things like the wait staff all being dressed in kilts (even the women).

http://www.experiencethepub.com/

Not brave enough? I thought bangers and mash were simply sausages and mashed potatoes? Am I wrong?

No, of course not, I know what it is, it's just that I don't think I'd like sausages with mashed potatoes.

'Not brave enough' was the wrong term. I'm not that timid about food! Maybe I should have said, 'not wanting to try it because it doesn't sound like a good combination to me'.

We enjoyed Pub Food on Emerald Jan 7 sailing. They served in "The Wheelhouse" on the last 2 of the 3 sea days, from 11 am to 2:30 pm. The 1st day's menu had F & C, Steak & Kidney Pie, Scotch Egg, a 4th item??? and Spongecake and Sherry for dessert. The second day offered F & C, Bangers and Mash, Ploughman's Lunch, Steak and Kidney Pie and Bread Pudding. We ate there both days and the food came out in less than 5 minutes from ordering. The Fish & Chips were great (Much better than HC.) as was the Bangers and Mash. The Wheelhouse is a lounge and the knee-high, 2 foot diameter table for 4 people allowed room for 4 plates and 4 drinks and nothing more, but we survived. The Bread Pudding was more like Creme Brule' and was the best dessert I had in the 10 days!! Don't miss it.

Archived