solo 60 yr female- ?? non-party ship???

fraj1

Hi all!

fraj1 ~ the Epic might be just the ship for you!:D I just turned 65 & had a great time on it all 3 cruises. I sailed solo in a studio cabin so was able to meet others in the lounge. The entertainment is amazing on this ship & the food great too!

~ Jo ~ :)

• 1 month later...
I'm 60, UK, cruised before but not alone, looking for a ship where I can easily meet others same age, play bridge, watch shows but not late-night party type, any suggestions???? Thanks :)

I just turned 60. I like a good, mature but not stodgy, fun and interesting group to travel with. I nearly always cruise solo, and I will cruise Celebrity because it ticks all the boxes in terms of the people I meet. Considering a cruise? Check the Cruise Critic Roll Call for that cruise.

I just turned 60. I like a good, mature but not stodgy, fun and interesting group to travel with. I nearly always cruise solo, and I will cruise Celebrity because it ticks all the boxes in terms of the people I meet. Considering a cruise? Check the Cruise Critic Roll Call for that cruise.

This is some very good and solid advice and should be heeded. If time permits prior to booking your cruise, read the Roll Call and read the Roll Call again and again and again before you actually book a particular sailing. I have always done this to get a "feel" of who and what your fellow cruisers are. Also ALWAYS listen to what your gut is telling you about those posters whose posts you have read on the Roll Call of the sailing which you are interested in joining. Sometimes you need to read between the lines in order to get a feel for whether you will be accepted or shunned on a particular sailing.

As a solo cruiser and a solo person in the real world, we are often shunned, discriminated against and/or not treated in the same manner as couples or families are. Although I did read and re-read the Roll Call several times and against my gut instinct and the red flags that were flying high, I booked a cruise which consisted of 99.999% couples. I was never accepted as simply another passenger but rather as a tag-along who was to be merely tolerated and had little to contribute to the dynamics of the Roll Call and/or the sailing. Interestingly, I am an experienced cruiser that has had the pleasure of organizing and leading two very successful group cruises yet I wasn't capable of leading and/or organizing any activities within that particular Roll Call.

I did look at switching to a cruise on either side of the one I booked but the increased price differential was too great for me to entertain increasing my cruise budget. I also considered cancelling the cruise in its entirely and walking away from the costs I had already incurred. Fortunately, my common sense prevailed. I realized that there will be many, many more potentially pleasant passengers on board than the inhospitable group on the Roll Call of that particular sailing.

One cannot do enough homework and research about a particular sailing. Also, listen to and heed your gut instinct when it is screaming from the rafters that this is not the sailing for you! :D

Hi, I am in my 50s and sail with Celebrity and have been sailing with

them for almost 9 years. I love the product they provide me.:):D

There are many folks in my and your age brackets who also sail with

them. I would recommend them:) and I almost forgot, I always

sail solo:)

• 2 weeks later...
I am sorry you hit such a stodgy group of couples.

I hope that your next cruise is so enjoyable that you reconsider!

Thanks for your post. It's doubtful that I will reconsider cruising again. Between a less than pleasant roll call, issues with Celebrity from the get-go and a return of my cancer necessitating the commencement of a blood stem cell transplant and/or bone marrow transplant upon my return home from this cruise, I do believe my cruising days are done.

Having said that, I will enjoy my upcoming cruise to the best of my ability and put all the negatives leading up to it on the back burner. I need to stockpile some R & R for the incredible journey I will be on once I return home. :)

Thanks for your post. It's doubtful that I will reconsider cruising again. Between a less than pleasant roll call, issues with Celebrity from the get-go and a return of my cancer necessitating the commencement of a blood stem cell transplant and/or bone marrow transplant upon my return home from this cruise, I do believe my cruising days are done.

Having said that, I will enjoy my upcoming cruise to the best of my ability and put all the negatives leading up to it on the back burner. I need to stockpile some R & R for the incredible journey I will be on once I return home. :)

OMG....Tink, I have not been following the boards lately.

First and foremost, I am soooo sorry your cancer is back:mad::(....

and I didn't realize your roll call is not a nice one:(...so sorry.

Didn't realize you had issues with Celebrity on top of that stuff:eek:

I am sending you all my best thoughts and good wishes and hope

you try to have a good cruise.......

Re-reading your last post....it is the people on your roll call's loss.....sorry

they have not been friendly to you!!!! That is really rude.....guess I am

lucky...the folks on my upcoming cruise in May have been terrific.....

I hope you have a wonderful time....in spite of the not nice roll call!

OMG....Tink, I have not been following the boards lately.

First and foremost, I am soooo sorry your cancer is back:mad::(....

and I didn't realize your roll call is not a nice one:(...so sorry.

Didn't realize you had issues with Celebrity on top of that stuff:eek:

I am sending you all my best thoughts and good wishes and hope

you try to have a good cruise.......

Lois, thank you for your kind words and wishes. I am determined to have an incredible cruise and I refuse to let anyone or anything stand in my way of enjoying every possible moment of it to the fullest. I am hopeful that beautiful memories will be made that will help to carry me through what I will face on my return home.

My apologies to the OP. The "high-jacking" of this thread wasn't intentional. Now....back to regularly scheduled programming.....:D

Lois, thank you for your kind words and wishes. I am determined to have an incredible cruise and I refuse to let anyone or anything stand in my way of enjoying every possible moment of it to the fullest. I am hopeful that beautiful memories will be made that will help to carry me through what I will face on my return home.

My apologies to the OP. The "high-jacking" of this thread wasn't intentional. Now....back to regularly scheduled programming.....:D

Tink...I just scrolled a bit through the last few pages of your roll call...

is there another solo traveler named Annie going? Maybe you could

meet her? (If you want;))......

I'm 60, UK, cruised before but not alone, looking for a ship where I can easily meet others same age, play bridge, watch shows but not late-night party type, any suggestions???? Thanks :)

Fraj1, I think that both Holland America and Celebrity would be a good fit for you. They both have an older demographic and both are known as the more formal elegant cruise style rather than the party boat atmosphere. I have not yet sailed with Celebrity but I have done a few with HAL, but I know LoisR on this forum has sailed with Celebrity many times and she speaks very highly of them. Hope you have a great trip whichever line you choose.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear your roll calls have

not been to good. Just take it as

their loss.

I have traveled solo a

number of times, and I always

place myself right in the middle of

everything going on in each roll call.

Have never had any problems.

Extremely sorry to hear about

your upcoming cancer treatment.

In your signature you put this down as

your final cruise. That sounds so permanant.

You never know what is going to happen.

Maybe you should change that..;)

Archived