solo 60 yr female - ? right cruiseline???

fraj1

I'm a 60 yr old Uk based female, new to solo cruising, will Silversea be a good choice? I'm not a party animal - enjoy good conversation, playing bridge, shows/light entertainment ...and luxury!!!! Thanks for any advice :)

Hi fraj1.

I was thinking about this topic myself recently on the Silver Spirit Xmas/New Year cruise. My partner mentioned that he may not be able to take any holidays this year now until late summer. I like to go on holiday in the Med in May/June, and a cruise would be the way to go - I would have no qualms travelling solo on Silversea. I'm only a few years younger than you, and in my experience the other passengers are a good age mix, and interesting, well travelled,discerning group of people. You will have no problem in making new cruise friends, likewise when you do want some time alone, you'll find that too.

As you may know, Silversea does have some special bridge cruises. I don't play myself but on the Christmas cruise, which was a designated bridge cruise, there was a good take up for all levels, from what I could see.

Do you have a particular itinerary in mind?

I'm a 60 yr old Uk based female, new to solo cruising, will Silversea be a good choice? I'm not a party animal - enjoy good conversation, playing bridge, shows/light entertainment ...and luxury!!!! Thanks for any advice :)

Hi fraj1

U have definitely found the right cruiseline! Make sure u join a roll call here on Cruise Critic and attend any get togethers onboard. They are lots of fun and help break the ice at the beginning of the cruise.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Jennifer

I'm a 60 yr old Uk based female, new to solo cruising, will Silversea be a good choice? I'm not a party animal - enjoy good conversation, playing bridge, shows/light entertainment ...and luxury!!!! Thanks for any advice.

YES! I think Silversea will work well for most all of the categories you listed in your question. On our July 2010 Silver Cloud cruise noted below, there were a number of 60'ish females traveling individually, including one we got to know well from the UK. The nice thing about Silversea's size is that you can better connect with and get to meet and know people individually. Below are a few of my highlight photos shown below to offer a little sample of life on one of their ships.

Much depends on where you travel, the length of the cruise, etc. I would also suggest posting on a roll-call for your specific cruise to connect in advance with some folks on your sailing in advance. As you do shore tours with people on your boat that aids in meeting and connecting with others.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 56,755 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 56,407 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

There was live music by this quartet for the enjoyment of guests experiencing our International noon buffet.:

CloudBuffetLiveMusic.jpg

In the Panorama Lounge, a great place to "hang out", here is a view for late in the one of the afternoons. They had a chocolate special “event” with lots and lots of desserts and treats all from that magic item. Plus, there was nice piano music while you enjoyed.:

CloudChocBarPiano.jpg

The weather was wonderfully upper 60’s for breakfast on our first sea day sailing to Norway. Here was our dining view with another cruise ship sailing south from fjord country.:

CPHBreakfastViews.jpg

Outside of the Silver Cloud’s Panorama Lounge is this wonderful, sheltered outdoor area with nicely-traditional deck chairs. You needed blankets, but it worked well in great comfort for being so far above the Arctic Circle. Some are napping, some enjoying a book and one gentleman has his Kindle electronic reader. Very tech savvy!:

CloudBackOutdoorLounging.jpg

Here’s a picture of Maitre D' Jorge doing a great job finalizing details to get ready for the start of the International Buffet at noon on the Silver Cloud on a sea day. Nice ice carving and super food!:

CloudBuffetJorgeFinalDetails.jpg

Here is Executive Chef, Douglas Hope, who did lots of “working the room” that we saw and experienced while on the Silver Cloud. Here at lunch in the Terrace Room, he is talking with guests in this lovely room that overlooks the water with such great views.:

CloudChefTerraceLunch.jpg

If you enjoy playing bridge, the best time is when there are more than 3 or more sea days and then they will have bridge instructors available.

I guess I'll find out the answer to the same question for myself (a 61yr solo female cruiser) when I do a TA on the Spirit in April, first time on Silversea. I normally cruise Princess, altho' I have done many other lines; my cruising style is sunbathing, reading, and keeping myself to myself - I'm not an antisocial hermit but I'm not very gregarious. I'm also very independent, I like doing everything for myself, so it will be really interesting to see how Silversea works for me! Couldn't resist the 25% single supplement tho', it meant a balcony cabin was possible for me instead of an obstructed OV.

Oh, and I'm not ignoring the luxury aspect, either ...

Well, it's a definite 'yes' from me too. I did transatlantics on Silver Spirit in 2010 and 2011 and had a most enjoyable time. I'm pretty gregarious and the Cruise Critic get-togethers at the beginning of each cruise were an excellent way of getting to know a nucleus of very nice people. Silversea seems to attract a nice blend of different nationalities and most people are pleasant, civilised and sociable. The 'open dining' system also works well if you are travelling solo.

Archived