Considering one ocean view room for family of 5

Is it crazy to think about doing that? Our kids are the right age for it - not too small and not too big LOL.

We would go on a Trumph ship August 18th is what I am looking at. Dh and I have cruised twice for the weekend cruises when we lived in FL. This would be a 5 day cruise. It is a $600 difference to go to 2 rooms which we could spend else where. Kids are 5, 11 and 12 at time of sailing. Our 11 and 12 yr olds are small for their age unless they hit a growth spurt.

Anywhere I can find a pic of a 5 room set up on Trumph?

Tammy

My family of 4 travelled on the Liberty last Christmas. The best decision I made was to get two adjoining(connecting) cabins. It gave us more space -- and 2 bathrooms! It also meant that if my youngest wanted to get up early -- not everyone needed to get up == and my hubby and I could have "private" vacation time , too

Do not sell the luxury of having 2 cabins short!

Would they allow us to refuse the trundle? hmmm she has an air mattress with built on princess sleeping bag. We could bring that and it is smaller I am sure.

Tammy

The trundle is smaller than a rollaway, but its not certain which you will have.

It will go under the bunk bed, and wouldnt take up much space when its open at night.

Consider 1 OV and 1 inside to save some money and have the extra space & bathroom of a 2nd cabin. This is how my family cruised when I was a kid. Parents had a balcony, we had an inside room across the hall. Or do 2 adjoining inside rooms if you want to keep the door open between them :)

Our first cruise was 5 of us in an inside cabin on the Sensation.

-

we had a ball. Got rid of the rollaway- last one in got the floor. Needless to say they were always in before midnight.

We took showers in the gym.

You can not expect to sleep together with your honey.

Putting those beds together will take up your floor space.

2468890870050360393CWawjz_th.jpg

see the floor space-- you keep the lower beds UNDER the upper beds--

the 5 year old will do well with the roll away but like i said-it takes up way too much space

here is a cabin that did 3 beds-- notice the beds on the floor are together-- and the upper bed is at the foot.

2443096570101003548wDPSal_th.jpg

453795497pCumCM_th.jpg

imagine the upper beds on top-- that will be your floor space.

imagine the two beds together-- with those upper beds off the side there-- youwill have to scootch out of bed and bend oover to get out of bed.

DW (29) and I (31) went on a cruise when our DS's (5 & 8). We went with my FIL. We had the 2 twins pushed together and my FIL (53) was on the bunk and DS (8) on the other. My FIL said he was comfortable on the bunk bed. My other DS (5) slept on the small trundle that the cabin steward put away during the day.

We usually don't spend much time in the room so it did not bother us. So I would say save the money.

Hello! My husband and I have 3 daughters, and I've been considering this exact arrangement, literally. An ocean-view cabin on Triumph for the August 18th sailing. Good luck with whatever you decide. We were on the Triumph in December and talked to a family while waiting to get back on-board in Cozumel, they had 3 kids and had the same set-up. They seemed to agree that it was okay without any major issues!

Is it crazy to think about doing that? Our kids are the right age for it - not too small and not too big LOL.

We would go on a Trumph ship August 18th is what I am looking at. Dh and I have cruised twice for the weekend cruises when we lived in FL. This would be a 5 day cruise. It is a $600 difference to go to 2 rooms which we could spend else where. Kids are 5, 11 and 12 at time of sailing. Our 11 and 12 yr olds are small for their age unless they hit a growth spurt.

Anywhere I can find a pic of a 5 room set up on Trumph?

Tammy

We did this last year on the Triumph only we had an inside cabin. Two lower beds were pushed together for us. Two bunks at right angles on the wall for the 14 & 12 yr old boys. My 9yr old girl got the trundle which was on the floor under the bunk bed during the night. During the day it was pushed under our bed. So it was wall to wall beds on the main level at night but wasn't a problem as it was only when we were sleeping. We don't spend much time in the room during the day, and even when did it didn't seem that bad. I thought the bathroom situation would be bad but it wasn't. On the odd occassion more than one needed it a time they would just one on a public floor. Now maybe if I had all daughters that would be different. The boys take 10 second showers.

We are cruising again this year and the ship we are one doesn't have cabins that fit 5 so we are paying almost twice the amount as we now have 4 full price fares instead of 2. Ouch!!!

Wife and I were just on the Magic 12-26 to west carribean. Kids are 12,10 and 6. We opted for 2 adjacent rooms. cost was a couple hundred more. Well worth it in our opinion, kids had a triple, we had a king, 2 separate bathrooms and 2 TV's, plenty of privacy. Went to geust services and they gave us keys so we could access either room after we made switch on board. We had the mini bar cleared and everything was great. Really can't imagine wanted the "intimacy" of 5 in one room for a whole week on a cruise. To each his own...:confused:

I have done 5 people – 4 adults and 1 child in one inside cabin and didn’t think it was that bad. We don’t spend much time in the cabin. The guys showered in the morning and the ladies in the evening.

I looked at availability for the Triumph for Aug. 18 (seeing as two of you are looking at that cruise) right now it shows: category 6A – 5 cabins on the Riviera deck. Category 6B – 8 cabins on the Riviera and 1 on main decks. Category 6C – 2 cabins on main deck. You may not want to wait to long to book.

The description for all of the cabins is – 2 twins/king, 1 upper, 1 single sofa, and 1 trundle.

mommyof2monkeys+princess, some of the advice that has been given here are in regards to oceanview rooms on smaller ships or inside rooms on any ship. That advice, although certainly well-intentioned, will not apply to an oceanview (OV) room on the Triumph. OV rooms on smaller ships are 185 sq.ft, while OV rooms on Triumph are 220 sq.ft, and they are set up very different. With these larger room, the 2 regular beds can be pushed together.

In these pics, the sofa will be made up into a sofa bed (not a pull-out sofa). I don't know where they put the 5th bed. It might be at the foot of the regular beds that are pushed together, but that's just a guess. If you plan out when you will shower, it is certainly doable to have 5 in a 220 sq.ft. room, especially if you'll be out of the room, enjoying your cruise. We did 5 adults in a 185 sq.ft. room, and probably won't do that again. But with your scenario, I'd say go for it. You can also utilize the gym showers. They have individual shower stalls up there, which are bigger than your room's shower.

OV2.jpg

No upper in this pic, but it would be above the sofa:

OV1.jpg

We did it with our kids on Victory, twice. The first time they were 13, 8 and 4, second time they were 3 years older. While I'm spoiled now by having the kids in a separate cabin, we can handle everyone with one bathroom - our house is a 1 1/2 bath house. What helped us on Victory was having a balcony cabin - when getting ready for dinner, those who were ready first could go out to the balcony while everyone else was getting ready. It also gave DH and me a place to be when the kids were sleeping.

twice with 3 kids. They were 3, 6, and 11. The second they were 6, 9, and 14. It was very doable. This time we are getting 2 inside cabins (now 9, 12, 17) because the price difference was only like $200 more. But for $600 more, we would all be in the same cabin. I have 3 girls (one who takes over an hour to get ready), and we had no issues with the bathroom.

Archived