BYO Portable Shade For On-Ship?

TahitiRoses

I would love to be able to sit out on the deck for a few hours and read, but I am one that overheats quickly under direct sun (even with a pool available for dips. Wish I could read in the pool!).

I have learned my upcoming cruiseship doesn't have much as much shade available as other ships I've been on, so I am looking for a portable shade or tiny cabana that would provide some shade for an entire lounge chair or two that one could bring on board a ship. Would the ships allow some sort of smaller shade? Would it have to be secured to the chair?

If so, does anyone know of one that isn't too horribly expensive or large? Just large enough to cover a lounge chair or two on from above, but not block the views from people behind you.

I have seen the shades that just cover your face, but I am wanting it for my whole body.

Thank you in advance!

- Cherish

What cruise line will you be on?

Check out the promenade deck -- under the life boats -- you are still outside but almost completely shaded & there is rarely anybody on that deck.

You can also find shade at the tables by the pool.

What cruise line will you be on?

Check out the promenade deck -- under the life boats -- you are still outside but almost completely shaded & there is rarely anybody on that deck.

You can also find shade at the tables by the pool.

I will be on the Crown Princess, but have been hearing that people hog what little shade there is horribly. I just wanted a guaranteed shaded chair :) I may not be bold enough to take a towel from chairs that haven't seen a person in hours.

Book HAL's Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam. They have cabanas pool side and deck above to rent for day or whole cruise.

Even if you found something that suited you to bring, I seriously doubt you would be permitted to put that in a public space. It can be very windy on deck and others could be at risk for your contraption injuring them.

Plain and simple, you're not allowed to put up anything like that on a ship balcony. First it's too windy and next they have rules about putting stuff on balconies. They also don't have the deck space to be putting up cabanas. You'd have a few unhappy fellow passengers.

Plain and simple, you're not allowed to put up anything like that on a ship balcony. First it's too windy and next they have rules about putting stuff on balconies. They also don't have the deck space to be putting up cabanas. You'd have a few unhappy fellow passengers.

I was afraid of the rules being no, but I wanted to make sure. I haven't been on a cruise since I was 14 and didn't remember how windy it was. I am wondering if this product is okay though? cushnshade dot com

I would think (hope) not.

That could well blow off your chair in the wind and injure someone.

None of these things belong on a crowded pool deck.

Use it at the beach if you wish but not on deck.

Archived