Which cruise line to Alaska

cruisinmeme

We are platinum cruisers with carnival and just sailed our first trip on ncl (also have another one booked with ncl) we were on ncl spirit and loved it. We were told by one cranky passenger that only the ncl spirit was good. Hope not as we are booked in a suite on star. My question is looking at going to Alaska in may 2013. Since we really liked more about ncl rather than ccl I started my search there and was pleased with what I saw. Confussed as to why ncl has two ships leaving a day apart out of Alaska . Then did a search for ccl and of coarse only has schedule for 2012. Went ahead and checked that out and a flop. The only thing I could see was balcony rooms on the deck with lifeboats and the price for 2012 was not that great. Then I went to holland America ( had a friend that did 14 day Alaskan cruise with them) and the price was quiet high and it balcony cabins seemed to be on deck 4.

I am further confussed by the different itinerary on each line. We are not wanting to break the bank cause we like to cruise too often, but at the same time don't want to go and have big regrets. We will stay in Seattle a few days to sight see before the cruise. We will have our flight (will mmet up with family in Dallas and fly from there) will want to do excursions. So give me some input as to what everyone did and how it was. I am really looking at the jewel inside passage from Seattle. It includes Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria BC and Sawyer glacier. Would this be good or a flop.

Give me your opions please.

I am sorry, but this is an incredibly confusing post to read. I am also concerned because your info on HAL is, at least, incomplete. Yes, there are balconies on Deck 4 ( on some ships), but also on Decks 5, 6, 7 and 8.

I wouldn't take the advice of one cranky passenger. I doubt your proposed cruise would be a flop.

We chose an inside room - it will still be light out when we are ready for bed... & with the savings, we will have a couple nice excursions.

In my humble opinion, I doubt that you could go wrong with any cruise that sails Glacier Bay. (It is a national park for a reason...) & So I did not look at any that did not sail Glacier Bay.

As a result, I'll be on my first HAL cruise - even though I might have had better "perks" on the other lines that I have sailed on previously.

Only you know your limits/needs/desires.

I would not trust the cranky passenger. I have been on two NCL cruises and both have been wonderful.

My DH and I did the Sawyer Glacier cruise this past August on the Star.(which is being replaced by the Jewel) It was a wonderful trip and we were excited enough to book another Alaskan cruise for 2013. This time we will be on the NCL Sun doing a Northbound cruise out of Vancouver. It will be different, but exciting.

On our last cruise we had a Mini-Suite and we loved it. DH and I love our balcony and used it quite a bit. That being said there is nothing wrong with an inside or widow room. You will find plenty of places to sit and view everything.

As for what to do, that is a real personal choice. Do you like site seeing, adventure, relaxation? You choose then look at the excursions that fit your time frame and budget.

DH and I did the Glacier Helicopter and Trek. It was an awesome experience and one we will never forget. We also did the Yukon Jeep Tour that went into Canada. Both were great experiences, but this time around we plan to take it a little lower key.

No matter which cruise line, which ship or what time of year you go, you will have fun and never forget it

Both RCI (Radiance) and Princess (Sapphire) offer a wonderful inside passageway cruise and both have had major renovations..We prefer the northbound out of Vancouver..We cruised in mid May on the Radiance and had amazing waterfall views and were able to get "very" close to Hubbard glacier....Enjoy Alaska !!

All cruise ships imo are "floating resorts". Look at your chosen intinerary and enjoy whatever you choose. Having sailed 24 NCL cruises, 3 Carnival, 9 RCCL, i obviously have no problem with NCL. Just enjoy it. And the Alaskan fares ARE pricey on any cruise line. :p

Archived