Wow - the Carribbean was sure crowded!

heidik

Just got back from a Western Carib. 7-day and was shocked to see how many big ships were in port at the stops we made. The first stop, Grand Cayman, had 6-7 (one left rather early) huge ships docked! I didn't even get off the ship......With the increase in people cruising, shouldn't the cruise lines/islands open up more ports? It would make for a much more enjoyable Caribbean cruise experience, in my opinion anyways. I like to be laid back and mellow when in the Islands :)

Sorry for the typo in the title....

Just got back from a Western Carib. 7-day and was shocked to see how many big ships were in port at the stops we made. The first stop, Grand Cayman, had 6-7 (one left rather early) huge ships docked! I didn't even get off the ship......With the increase in people cruising, shouldn't the cruise lines/islands open up more ports? It would make for a much more enjoyable Caribbean cruise experience, in my opinion anyways. I like to be laid back and mellow when in the Islands :)

Sorry for the typo in the title....

Do you have some unexplored ports in mind?

I believe we were in GC the same time, and I have to say, even with all those ships in port, the area was not crowded at all. Maybe Stingray City was very crowded because that's a high tourist attraction. But the streets of GC seemed very quite. As a matter of fact, my husband and I made a comment about how much quieter the stores seemed than when we vacationed there two years prior. We figured it had something to do with the economy.

With so many more ships out on the high seas - all the ports will experience busy days.

Most ships want to avoid anchoring thus they have limited ports they can visit.

You should have been in Grand Cayman years ago when we had only the North and South piers to tender into and there 5 and 6 ships in. Now with the new pier -- a few of the ships can tender to there.

I believe we were in GC the same time, and I have to say, even with all those ships in port, the area was not crowded at all. Maybe Stingray City was very crowded because that's a high tourist attraction. But the streets of GC seemed very quite. As a matter of fact, my husband and I made a comment about how much quieter the stores seemed than when we vacationed there two years prior. We figured it had something to do with the economy.

I believe we were on the same Nieuw Amsterdam sailing and we were at Grand Caymon on Jan6. That day I believed NA was already the largest ships. The other ships were the Prinsendam, Island Princess and Crystal Serenity. It is quite possible the total # of passengers for these four ships all added up will still be less than one ship - Allure or Oasis of the Seas.

I believe we were on the same Nieuw Amsterdam sailing and we were at Grand Caymon on Jan6. That day I believed NA was already the largest ships. The other ships were the Prinsendam, Island Princess and Crystal Serenity. It is quite possible the total # of passengers for these four ships all added up will still be less than one ship - Allure or Oasis of the Seas.

Yeah like in Falmouth....lol....that was a monster of a ship

I noticed that many ships are scheduled to be in port on our Western Caribbean cruise next month as well. It seems like more than last year during the same week (our winter school break.) We're also docked next to the Allure in Falmouth. We're taking a more casual approach to this cruise and haven't planned as many things, so a crowded port may end up making me more relaxed!

Archived