Captain claims he "tripped" into a lifeboat... what?

when he was a kid, told the teacher that hsi dog ate his homework?

Or the Kindergartener at our school who, found with his pockets full of chalk, said, "I just walked by the chalkboard and they fell in."

Just about as likely.

He doesnt' stop to think, there would have been other passengers with him to

corroborate his story. There would have been someone else in that boat. He has no way to back up his story. This guy just needs to shut up and quit talking. He definitely is a prosecutor's dream.

I feel so bad that they are still trying to dig out the missing people. How horrible for their families. :(

However reckless and however grossly negligent the Masters behaviour, there is no suggestion that he purposely sought this outcome. Once the damage had occurred, the Commander seems to have gone into denial and a seeming refusal to accept the reality of the increasingly worsening situation.

If the reported events are in context and to be believed, then it would seem that the master was becoming increasingly incapacitated as time went on.

I say this not to mitigate or excuse his behaviour, but to wonder why other senior bridge officers didn't recognise this and assume a commanding role, as it must have become increasingly evident this was happening.

It can be very difficult to recognise subtle incapacity, however co-pilots on aircraft, and presumably senior officers on ships, must be trained for such eventualities. If all of them (however complicit in the causal negligence) were rooted in the same denial and subsequent inaction, it raises a lot of questions about the companies operating philosophy. Recruitment, training, standard operating procedures, management oversight, safety culture. All of these things must be in serious question, despite the fact that the company is still being permitted to operate.

This is a very lame excuse from a very lame example of a so called member of the human race. I wonder if the Italian prison system has prison ships, if so he should spend whatever sentence he may get on one of these to remind him everyday of the actions that led him to this place.

Crazy excuse.

Sad day for the Captain.

He is that stupid to think that such an excuse would be credible.

Doesn't it just incriminate him further?

Anyway, even if one chooses to believe his tripping story, there is ample evidence that he refused to head back to the ship when ordered by the Coast Guard Captain subsequently.

Wait, maybe he has another wonderful excuse for that incident as well!!

He is one lucky guy. I trip all the time, but I never tripped straight in a lifeboat :rolleyes:. Oh boy, what's the next stupidity he's gonna try to sell everyone

Cindy

However reckless and however grossly negligent the Masters behaviour, there is no suggestion that he purposely sought this outcome. Once the damage had occurred, the Commander seems to have gone into denial and a seeming refusal to accept the reality of the increasingly worsening situation.

If the reported events are in context and to be believed, then it would seem that the master was becoming increasingly incapacitated as time went on.

I say this not to mitigate or excuse his behaviour, but to wonder why other senior bridge officers didn't recognise this and assume a commanding role, as it must have become increasingly evident this was happening.

It can be very difficult to recognise subtle incapacity, however co-pilots on aircraft, and presumably senior officers on ships, must be trained for such eventualities. If all of them (however complicit in the causal negligence) were rooted in the same denial and subsequent inaction, it raises a lot of questions about the companies operating philosophy. Recruitment, training, standard operating procedures, management oversight, safety culture. All of these things must be in serious question, despite the fact that the company is still being permitted to operate.

It's unbelievable to me that both the second and third officer were on the lifeboat with him. I feel like they should be to blame too, the fact they had just as little of back bone as the captain. It seems that an off duty captain was the only person who took command here. I can definitely see him being in denial though. I mean these types of things hardly ever happen and it would seem Costa doesn't train their officers properly for this type of thing.

You make a good point, we haven't heard anything about their culpability. Isn't the first officer to take over if the Capitan can't/won't and then the 2nd officer, and so on...I know there is a chain of command. They should have thought about that:rolleyes:

Archived