Best Place to Buy an IPAD?

nbturfman

Best place would either be the Apple Store or Amazon.

Unfortunately Apple dictate the prices of their products to retailers world wide.

By the way, you may be interested to know that the IPad3 is due for release sometime between Feb and the end of April.

Unfortunately Apple dictate the prices of their products to retailers world wide.

By the way, you may be interested to know that the IPad3 is due for release sometime between Feb and the end of April.

I would suggest waiting till the three is released (rumored to have HD) then decide between the three or the two. With a strong possibility that the price on the two will drop when the three is released.

Whichever you choose you will be pleased with the pad. I have been using the two since August and love it. Easiest and fast way to the web nd to email. Fantastic product. I never touch my laptop anymore.

BTW Amazon does not sell iPads (probably too much direct competition to their Kindle line). However if you have access to an Apple store they are very good in making sure you understsnd what you are buying (as in "is this the right model for you?" ) and they completely set it up for you with your itunes account and "show you around" your new iPad.

For the most part, everywhere sells the iPad at msrp. If you buy direct from Apple, they will engrave something on the back, like your name. I have seen them slightly less expensive at the warehouse club, and sometimes Apple sells them online as referbs for a little off the price.

Thanks for the advice all. Our laptop has just about had it and with our cruise coming up in March it looks like a good time to take the plunge. Cheers

Depending on what you want to do on the iPad, you may find that it's not an ideal replacement for an actual laptop. If you want to get them a little cheaper, and you have access to a university store you may find them for sale at prices lower than Apple.

My wife and I own ...

2 ipads (1 x ipad 2, 1 x 1 x ipad 1), 4 iphones (2 x 4S, 1x 4,3G), 7 nanos (2 x gen 6, 1 x gen 5,4,3,2,1), 4 ipods (1 x gen 6, 1 x gen 5 rip, 2 x gen 4), 4 shuffles (2 x gen 4, 2 x gen 2), 3 ipod touch (1 x gen 3,2,1) also we have an iMac and a Macbook.

We got them ALL at the apple store ... except for a very old ipod gen 4 i got from ebay real cheap and 2 shuffles and a nano and a touch from Target. Target sells it at the same price as Apple but if you are a Visa red card holder like me, you'll get 5% off that purchase, which is a nice bonus.

But honestly, if you want peace of mind, just stick to the apple store. It's a good place to buy it and the folks there are very helpful.

Another option is if you know someone in your family or have a friend that is currently a student, you can have them buy it for you from Apple via a student discount.

My feeling is - the iPad is an indispensable part of my life. I use it religiously everyday and I am always on the prowl for new apps. But I still think the iPad is not a replacement for a laptop. If you're going to do some serious word processing or other office intensive tasks, it might not be the best option. However, if you're like me and just want to use cool apps, play games, watch videos, listen to music, skype or read books, it's quite a nice toy to have.

if you have access to an Apple store they are very good in making sure you understsnd what you are buying (as in "is this the right model for you?" ) and they completely set it up for you with your itunes account and "show you around" your new iPad.

Agree on your above key points. An Apple store would be ideal. Getting help on your set-up, moving key items from a lap-top to your iPad will be important, including music items, setting up your e-mail, etc. I love Apple stuff and just got my wife an iPad. Works well.

The overall bottom line is that you won't save that much by waiting to buy your iPad on the ship. Before your cruise, you will have a chance to play with, learn about using the iPad, etc. Don't forget that the iPad will take pictures, do video, etc. Lots of great and fun features.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 57,832 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

They have actual Apple shops on the Celebrity ships. They have not been carrying IPADS but may at some point. Everything in the store on the ship is the same as in land based Apple Stores except you don't pay sales tax...

Don is correct that they have what is called a "store" for Apple on the Solstice-type ships with some good staff help. BUT, it is far, far distance from the offerings and inventory provided at the "real" Apple stores in the US where the have lots more supplies and a quick connection to the great "supply chain" that Mac is known for.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 57,832 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

If you live near an Apple Store purchase directly from them and sign up for the year for their One to One program for $99.00. You get unlimited private training sessions all year long and can use it for your computer, movie making, photography , ipad, ipod, etc.

They have actual Apple shops on the Celebrity ships. They have not been carrying IPADS but may at some point. Everything in the store on the ship is the same as in land based Apple Stores except you don't pay sales tax...

No, it is not the same because you can not sign up for their One to One program. I asked.

I thought this was a big secret. What about the iphone 4 release date?

It's still not official re: iPad3. The estimated times were just based on some info or rumors that people dug up and deduced from Apple's suppliers. But given their previous release days, and also the significance of Steve Jobs' birthday ... it is reasonable to expect a release date some time in the spring.

iphone 4... you mean iphone 5? I wouldn't hold my breath on that one considering the 4S just came out recently.

Thanks for the advice all. Our laptop has just about had it and with our cruise coming up in March it looks like a good time to take the plunge. Cheers
I haven't read all the answers, so if this has already been said. delete me. :)

If you have a Discover Card, you may want to shop at Apple through the Discover website. I bought our Macbook Pro this way and saved 5%. If you don't have a Discover Card, and choose not to get one, lots of credit cards have 5% rebate deals.

I thought this was a big secret. What about the iphone 4 release date?

Steve Jobbs envisaged the tablet device we all know as the Ipad. However there were two models initially to be made. A first one that was a cut down version of the full all singing all dancing model. The reason for this is because Apple wanted to rush a basic model out to the public, secure their market place and continue to develop a better device. That first model was the Ipad. The Ipad 2 is just a service upgrade of the Ipad. The Ipad 3 will be the version that Steve Jobbs had wanted to be the full device.

As someone else said, the dates are not confirmed but going by Apples Ipad releases so far and Steve Jobbs birthday date, the whole industry is predicting a spring release.

As for the IPhone 5, it is predicted to be released somewhere between July and September, again not dates have been confirmed, but the Iphone 3, 3gs and 4 I think were all summer releases.

For more information see http://www.ipad-3-news.com/

For the most part, everywhere sells the iPad at msrp. If you buy direct from Apple, they will engrave something on the back, like your name. I have seen them slightly less expensive at the warehouse club, and sometimes Apple sells them online as referbs for a little off the price.

Engraving is a big mistake. Apple products sell well on ebay, but engraving knocks the value down. How do I know you ask? Ain't tellin'!

To the OP, an iPad doesn't replace a laptop. It has limitations you should be aware of. I just bought a HP Pavilion dm1z to take on trips because of those limitations. It's a bit larger than a netbook with more oooomph. Check it out. If you get an ipad, be sure to get as much memory as you can. On my last cruise I couldn't load as many iTunes files as I wanted because I have the basic model. Have you looked into the Macbook Air? The small one is very portable and doesn't limit you like the ipad does.

Archived