Am I making a mistake?

MichelleChell

We have decided to just have a ship day and not plan anything for Belize. Just play on the ship with our kids and maybe tender in to look around. So am I making a mistake? Should we go to a beach and enjoy a place we have never been?

We have a big day in Roatan and Nachi in cozumel.

We have decided to just have a ship day and not plan anything for Belize. Just play on the ship with our kids and maybe tender in to look around. So am I making a mistake? Should we go to a beach and enjoy a place we have never been?

We have a big day in Roatan and Nachi in cozumel.

No not really. You do need to have an excursion lined up for Belize. No beaches near the port. But do venture over late morning or early afternoon and take a gander at the Tourist Village, maybe grab a Belikin and some conch fritters at the Wet Lizard. If you want, wander outside the Tourist Village to the little flea/crafts market across the street. Few tour hawkers in the afternoon to accost you out the door. But the market does carry some nice craft stuff at lower prices than inside the T.V.

Enjoy the ship with your children.

Despite all the warnings on CC, our family loved Belize. ITA that a plan is needed, it's not the type of port where you just get off the ship and wing it. We too had a busy day in Roatan planned, but the boys (ages 6.5 and 4 yrs) handled going to Lamanai (a full day trip) very well.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

I think if the weather was nice, it would be good idea to get off the ship.

I don't think you need an excursion per se but yeah, we walked around outside the terminal area to get to a water taxi terminal and around the area and yeah, not a lot to be seen. We didn't do a lot of research tho, on Belize City itself.

On your own, I'd quite recommend visiting Caye Caulker. Easy to do and I think we would have found it gorgeous if the weather was better for us. Might not be what OP's looking for if it's beach they're after.

And excursion-wise, some fellow cruises gushed how amazing their tubing experience was, even in the drizzle. They really had a great time.

Personally I think you're making a big mistake. We also weren't comfortable with Belize but in the end decided to try the cave tubing since it was something we'd never done before. Boy were we surprised. It was really nice and became one of my favorite excursions. The tour guides take you up into the mountains, you carry your tube to the river and the river does the rest. The cave was really nice and the water was cool and relaxing.

If you do decide to visit Belize, give Major Tom a try. His excursion only had a few people while the carnival excursion had a huge bus. That many people made it seem like a 'wal mart' type of thing. We had a small group, took as much time as we needed, and went at our own pace. Major Tom and his son (Minor Tom) were very friendly and accomodating. Also, you get lunch at the end of the tour.

I hear the folks pushing to go and do an excursion. I'm usually right there with you, big fan of Belize as a port stop on this board. But I reconfirm my support of the OP's decision not to do anything. They already have 2 big, expensive, days planned and this is a vacay. I don't know how many sea days they have on their cruise, but a little R&R and peace and quiet and light touch on the pocketbook certainly helps relax the mood. We don't all have to be go-go 24/7.

I have a quick question about Major Tom. I've booked with them for my cruise in March. What do you do with your passport and wallet while you are cave tubing? is it safe to leave on the bus like they advertise? thanks in advance

Sorry I should have given a bit more info. We will be on Mariner end of March on 7 day. I have a almost 9yr old girl and a 4yr old boy. I don't wanna do cave tubing (as cool as it looks) because that seems like a long bus ride with 2 kids. I don't wanna do beach because we will do beach in Roatan and Cozumel.

I have now started talking to my Husband about maybe seeing ruins or the zoo. Just not sure how long those bus rides are.Still also leaning on a play it by ear and decide when we get on board. I do know if feel safer in Belize doing a ship tour rather then private co.

Thank you all so much for your ideas and input. It has been helpful.

I have a quick question about Major Tom. I've booked with them for my cruise in March. What do you do with your passport and wallet while you are cave tubing? is it safe to leave on the bus like they advertise? thanks in advance

We are not seasoned cruisers like many on this board so we have more to learn, but we have never taken our passports ashore with us. Before we leave home we always make copies of the pages in our passports which have our information/pictures. We also make copies of our driver licenses and take those with us when we leave the ship. We've never taken our original documents off the ship and have never had any issue. The one time we were asked to show our identification we produced the copies and were let through.

To answer your question...with Major Tom, you leave your bags on the bus and they lock it up. If you're worried about leaving your stuff maybe you can get a fanny pack and put your stuff in ziplock bags so they do not get wet.

I really enjoy Belize. I've vacationed there as a land vacation, we spent about 12 days there in a combination of inland and then the cayes. And just recently we stopped in Belize on a Carnival cruise. I do think you'd miss out by skipping the port. With kids, the Altun Ha and zoo is a great combination. The ride to both is not long at all and the Altun Ha ruins are very developed and if you have good guides they will make it interesting for the kids. The Belize Zoo is very unique and it's not like a typical US zoo. It's in a jungle setting and the animals are all indigenous to Belize. On our recent cruise trip we used Nacho and Cynthia (you can google them) and had a private tour and they were fantastic. Nacho was great with our 10 year old daughter as far as keeping the day interesting for her - even in the van. She kept the ride entertaining. His wife Cynthia does the driving.

We did the Altun Ha and Baboon Sanctuary combination which would also be interesting with kids - but I think your 4 yr old would love the zoo. If you do a private tour it probably would also be more fun for your kids.

Any questions, let me know!

Sorry I should have given a bit more info. We will be on Mariner end of March on 7 day. I have a almost 9yr old girl and a 4yr old boy. I don't wanna do cave tubing (as cool as it looks) because that seems like a long bus ride with 2 kids. I don't wanna do beach because we will do beach in Roatan and Cozumel.

I have now started talking to my Husband about maybe seeing ruins or the zoo. Just not sure how long those bus rides are.Still also leaning on a play it by ear and decide when we get on board. I do know if feel safer in Belize doing a ship tour rather then private co.

Thank you all so much for your ideas and input. It has been helpful.

If you're concerned about long bus rides, don't go to Lamanai. It's a long bus ride followed by a lengthy boat trip. Altun Ha was on the way to Lamanai and much closer, maybe a 30 min bus ride? Hopefully someone can confirm the travel time to get there. Our almost 7 and just-turned-4 yo boys loved the ruins, we did a bit of research before we left so the tour guide's descriptions would make sense to them.

If you're concerned about long bus rides' date=' don't go to Lamanai. It's a long bus ride followed by a lengthy boat trip. [/quote']

But on the other hand, the boat ride to the ruins is as much a part as the adventure as going to the ruins themselves. You travel up a river in the rainforest and see things that you might never get to experience again. You are seated, in the open air, and shaded (if you want to be). I can see how a bus ride might be a turn-off, but the boat ride is a sight unto itself.

As for your original question, personally, (and all anyone can do is answer personally. Can't speak for you, and I wouldn't try)...I can't imagine being in the heart of the Mayan world (in 2012 no less) without exploring it. And Belize is probably your best option.

I did the Altun Ha/River Wallace tour with 2 nine year olds and 2 six year olds. It was 8 years ago but they all still remember what fun they had. It was a good way to see some of the country on the bus ride to the ruins. They had a ball climbing the ruins, a local kid went into the jungle for them and brought out a Boa Constrictor. (For all we know it was his pet Boa Constrictor- I gave the kid some money so if that was the plan it worked, lol)

I gave each kid a camera to use on the boat ride back to port to document their "scavenger hunt" for wild life along the way. They got pictures of howler monkeys, bats, crocs, and air bubbles from a manatee lol, plus more that I can't remember. It really was a lot of fun.

I get it why you want just a low key day though - whatever you choose it is all good.

We were in Belize last week on the Legend...LOVED IT!!. City Tour, Visted Belikin Brewery, ate at a local restaurant, shopped at a local grocery store, chatted with many locals, very nice friendly fun people. We want to hit belize on another cruise, maybe see more countryside. We never felt unsafe or scared?

We did the same thing in Belize...didn't plan a thing (but had for the other 3 ports) and decided we'd play it by ear that day. If we felt like we wanted more relaxing ship time, the plan was to just check it out then head back early. If we wanted something more adventurous- and the weather was cooperating- there are MANY opportunities to book once you get off the ship. Just do your research so you know your options and see how the day goes. It is your vacation!

We had planned to either book a zoo trip from a port vendor, do a walking tour, or just bum around the shopping area. We ended up doing just the shopping and although I would have loved to see more of Belize, our family travels often so there's a good chance we'll return, And the time my dd, dh, and I spent together at the ships pool was fun and memorable!

We cruised on the Legend several years ago with another couple-they chose to stay on board in Belize(we snorkeled) and we stayed on board in Roatan-they did a tour. Aside from the fact that the friend was bit by a monkey in Roatan, they had by far a better experience. BUT-as someone said earlier-it is 2012, and it is the Mayan world-I'd suggest at least the bus ride to Altun Ha.:)

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on the Lamanai tour with the river cruise. While it was a wonderful experience and I would recommend it, the day was very hot, over 100 degrees & humid. With no breeze the walk to the ruins was a bit too much for me in that heat. We did not see any monkeys that day as the guide said it was too hot for them to be out. Apparently the monkeys had more sense than us.:rolleyes: We went in mid-May.

We will be going again next year in late April/early May. I would like to see the ruins again, but perhaps a different group of ruins. What is the difference between the Alta Ha trip and the Lamanai trip? Both include a river cruise, which I enjoyed and was refreshing. I am hoping the walk to the Alta Ha ruins is a bit shorter than to the Lamanai ruins. Or perhaps the Lamanai ruins walk just seemed so long to me since I was suffering from borderline heat exhaustion?

Archived