Cigars Under the Stars...

RickEk

On our recent New Year's cruise on the Sapphire Princess, during the Ultimate Deck party, they had a little area roped off on the Sun deck dubbed "Cigars Under the Stars" complete with chairs and a crewmember selling cigars. I actually didn't see anyone partaking. I was wondering if anyone else had seen this on any other ship (I haven't...) and it'd be interesting to know if this would be allowed with the new smoking restrictions.

6662477263_07283d126a_b.jpg

Sapphire Princess - Mexico - New Year's 2012 451 by RickEk, on Flickr

It was very popular on the Ruby last April. I thought it was great, it was on the port side of Deck 16 (Sun Deck) near Tradewinds Bar. It away from where most people gathered for the deck party and near the rail so the smoke wasn't overwhelming. It was close enough to the bar and the festivities so everyone could play nice together.

Love it!! Do you know if it was mentioned in the patter? I wouldn't normally be on deck at night (unless there was a good football game on MUTS!)

Was it positioned behind the main group of people? Obviously the smell annoys some people so I would they would put it some where that the smoke would go backwards, away from people.

But I love the idea! We love sitting outside and enjoying a cigar!

Hmmm, personally, in my book cigars are the worst of the smoking smells. But the restrictions do say smoking will be allowed on certain areas of outside decks. If the smell reaches me, I can always move to another section of deck, just hope its not close enough to the nightly showing of MUTS to be intrusive. Its ok with me if someone wants to smoke a cigar, as long as I dont have to breathe or smell it.

Karen

Hmmm, personally, in my book cigars are the worst of the smoking smells. But the restrictions do say smoking will be allowed on certain areas of outside decks. If the smell reaches me, I can always move to another section of deck, just hope its not close enough to the nightly showing of MUTS to be intrusive. Its ok with me if someone wants to smoke a cigar, as long as I dont have to breathe or smell it.

Karen

Not that we go to many movies on MUTS but I recall that they ask the smokers to go to the upper decks only during movies.

Its ok with me if someone wants to smoke a cigar, as long as I dont have to breathe or smell it.

Karen

Or eat it! I wouldn't cherish the idea of cigar ashes in my popcorn, milk and cookies!:mad:;)

Jim

Love it!! Do you know if it was mentioned in the patter? I wouldn't normally be on deck at night (unless there was a good football game on MUTS!)

Was it positioned behind the main group of people? Obviously the smell annoys some people so I would they would put it some where that the smoke would go backwards, away from people.

But I love the idea! We love sitting outside and enjoying a cigar!

Sox Fan Cruiser, I think we were posting at the same time but if you look above your last post, I think I answered your question about where the cigar bar was located. The Patter did not make any mention of it at all. ;)

Thanks crusdiva! So this was during the island party only or every night?

And I have to comment on the white plastic chairs. I hate them! But we were on the Crown in Dec and they had the new ones. I love that Princess is upgrading those table and chairs! I'll try and find a pic of them to post. (and when I say that I mean I'll ask the hubby to post a pic!)

I am taking my box of cigars with me so this is good news. I know there is a cigar lounge way down below but a cigar under the stars on the way to Hawaii! What could be better for a cigar lover?

That was a good tip about water and ash. I usually us a disposable cup and fill it half way or so with water. This takes care of the ash and the remainder.

They had a set-up like this on HAL when we did a Panama trip with them. Balmy nights are ideal for a lot of things. Cigar smoking is one of them.

Way to go Princess!

I recall seeing this in the patters when we were on the CB in May last year but we kept forgetting to check it out. We'll be on the Crown in March so hopefully they will still be doing this. Hubby enjoys a few cigars when on vacation and I would much rather sit outside in the open air with him than hang out in the indoor cigar bar!

DH is cigar smoker. One of his life pleasures. He will NOT smoke where it would bother someone ( and never ever inside the house). He will cruise on ships that have a cigar lounge but I know he would prefer open air area. That idea sounds great for cigar afficionados and a nice place for them to gather and share their passion. Could even become a good place for the ship to have nice selections of rum and cognac ... Personnally I hate the smoke but I believe that the big ships can find a SMALL isolated area where it blows away or doesn't get in the way of other passengers. I'll be at MUTS while he is at CUTS.

Archived