Why No More Glass Show?

OceanCruise

We were just on the Equinox and enjoyed the hot glass show a number of times (even in high winds and seas). I admit that I was bored at first, but after two shows really began to appreciate this form of art. I even got my husband to sit through an entire show at the end of the cruise. One of the glass blowers remarked that the contract would soon be up for the ship, but that he fully expected it to be renewed for another three years. According to him, the glass show usually scores 20-30 points higher on customer evaluations than virtually every other department on the ship.

The fact that the Silhouette and the new ship coming out in 2012 will have a Lawn Grill rather than a Hot Glass Show will influence my decision to cruise again with the three ships with the Hot Glass Show.

By the way, the lawn on the back area of Deck 15 near the Sunset Bar was removed on the second to the last full day of the cruise! I don't think the lawnkeepers are very skilled. I sat up by the lawn nearly every day and watched, with humor, various attempts to care for the lawn (some of which resulted in a few of us getting wet). No worries though. I was told that a new lawn would be installed in Fort Lauderdale before the start of the next cruise.

We went to many HGS on the Eclipse last year. I thought it was a gimmick when I booked but was surprised when I saw a show how much we enjoyed it. We tried to see as many as we could,mand the ones at night were exceptionally cool. That said, I think variety is important and I don't want ships to all be cookie cutter versions. I like having different dining options (Q-sine was really fun because it was different). I don't want every ship to the same activities and options anymore than I want to go to the same ports every cruise.

I certainly hope that the glass show will still be on the Solstice for my cruise at the end of the year. It's one of the major reasons I booked that particular cruise. There are specialty restaurants on all ships but only a few have something as unique as the glass-blowing.

How much does the Lawn Club specialty restaurant cost. I read that it was interactive. Can anyone tell me about it?

I went on the Equinox and just never got up to see the glass show. I always said that I'd do it and then the days got away from me. I kind of wish I'd tried it. Personally, I think the lawn is wasted space and it's not surprising to me that they decided to put some kind of money maker up there.

I read somebody said they auctioned off a few pieces. What happens to the rest? Why not sell them all? Sounds like a cool souvenir to me!

The show is put on by Corning Museum of Glass which is a non-profit organization and therefore they cannot "sell" the pieces for profit and retain their NP standing.

How much does the Lawn Club specialty restaurant cost. I read that it was interactive. Can anyone tell me about it?

I went on the Equinox and just never got up to see the glass show. I always said that I'd do it and then the days got away from me. I kind of wish I'd tried it. Personally, I think the lawn is wasted space and it's not surprising to me that they decided to put some kind of money maker up there.

The Lawn club is $40 pp and you can either have them cook the meat of your choosing or you can do it yourself... the lawn on the Silhouette was dying and they had much of it roped off for reseeding with a hardier grass( rye) so much of the venue was inaccessible.

The Corning glass blowers are world renounced for their artisan flare and abilities, while I have not seen it on the ship, if it is anything like in the factory ( which is 1 &1/2 hours away from me) that I have seen many times, they are indeed masters of their craft. It takes years for them to become full fledged Corning glass blowers. The very best are the Steuben glass workers. Their work starts at $300 for a small piece and goes up from there in to the 10's of thousands. There are no seconds for Steubens if it is not right it is smashed and remelted. Generally there are no seconds of any Corning glass blowers it is perfect or destroyed.

Since there are so few that qualify as Corning Glass Blowers I can see why there would be a problem with not having enough to go around and want to stay on the ships as many are Married and such and are not on the same contract as other ship staff is (6m on 2 m off)

Anyone know if there is a chance they will get rid of the glass blowing and refurb all of the S class to have a LCG? I'm booked on Solstice next year and a little disappointed that it has neither LCG or Qsine, but I also really want to do Hawaii on an S class ship and that's my only option right now.

Our cruise on the Constellation is coming up & every one of our group is mad we are not on a ship with the Coring Glass Show. We are already looking at which cruise to book next & I was only allowed to print options on the Eclipse, Equinox or the Solstice. Many never missed a show, I made more than half & standing room only is putting it mildly. People jammed the area each time. After the show, the artists couldn't get away. My vote is to get rid of that art show where they auction paintings, crowd the inside & block the hallways. I know that makes money for Celebrity, but talk about no attendance..... I do agree, however, that the lawn area is highly underutilized.

I guess we are going to need to agree to disagree. I do not think it is an overreaction at all. At one time, all food was free. Now there are specialty dinner restaurants, extra costs for Bistro, extra cost for specialty coffees (non-liquor), on some lines extra costs for hamburger joints, ice cream sundays, pizza, and the list goes on. And in that regard I do say we have lost something - in most cases the MDR food quality has declined - further encouraging these options. I know some will disagree but that is my opinion.

Virtually every new 'feature' being added to a cruise ship these days is only available to those willing to pay extra. I am not basically a negative person, but I think when one applies logic to the topic and looks at the trend, it is not totally unrealistic to think the trend will only continue. I think it is only a short period of time before all MDR menus have extra pay options for various dishes that years ago would likely have been included. Haven't sailed RCI in awhile, but don't they now charge extra for a steak? I can certainly see Celebrity jumping on that bandwagon.

One might say - if people don't pay then they will discontinue these things. I say - in many cases people will pay even if they don't like this pricing model because to not do so means missing out on these experiences. And yes, it is true that buying extras within reason, the bottom line cost compared to years ago balances out in the end. But I still don't like it and hate the 'blue plate special' ambiance of the whole trend. And I do strongly believe it will continue, and one day will include pay for certain entertainment, and pay for at least certain items in the MDR. We'll see. Only time will tell who called this one right

I agree with you completely.

I was inspired enough by the Glass Show to book a course for my wife and myself.

And all the fee restaurants are an indication of the direction cruising is going. I don't like them, and main dining room fayre has deteriorated on other lines because of it. The same will inevitably happen with Celebrity

Ooo yet another high-cost dining "option" on my cruise ship - just what I wanted. :eek: I guess that explains why I'm not booking another cruise on Silloette!

We enjoy the Hot Glass show on the other Celebrity ships and rarely if ever miss one! While I can understand that from a cost standpoint a fourth Hot Glass Show could be prohibitive, figuring out something (anything) at least moderately interesting to replace it with would have been better than 1) another grab for my money, and 2) a "grill your own meat" place -- how original! There are two different resturants that do that in my Wisconsin small city one of which has been around for over 20 years!

I read somebody said they auctioned off a few pieces. What happens to the rest? Why not sell them all? Sounds like a cool souvenir to me!

Corning Museum of Glass is strictly a non-profit organization. They cannot "sell" for a profit anything that is made on-board (even by the glass artists who are not regular Corning employees).

They can raffle them off as door prizes (DD won a beautiful fish made by the fabulous Brenna Baker on our first Solstice cruise, and DH did a marvolous job getting it home in one piece!)

• They can put them on display as artwork throughout the ship
  • They can aution them off with all proceeds going to fund scholarships at CMOG.
  • They can create a peice based upon a drawing submitted by one luck Fun Factory kid during one of their shows and give it to that kid.

We were just on the Equinox and enjoyed the hot glass show a number of times (even in high winds and seas)....

Wilkandr - I have a question about your recent Equinox cruise that is best off line (off topic here). Will you please email me at lsimon @ mail.com (just click link in my signature below).

Archived