Crew Fund Question

mariner

I totally agree on a suitable gratuity going to those who have looked after you so very well.

But, while I wholeheartedly concur, I must say that the business of finding the "Purser's" office would be a bit of a trick for most (on the new three it's an unmarked door in the middle of Deck 5 near the internal wooden bridge on the Port-side and they seem to really, really not want you in there anyway and if you do get in if only to inspect the box of lost eye-wear you'll see a whole lot of people you've never seen before even after a 29 day-er and I forget where it is on the other three) and apart from that I don't think there's anything better than doing it personally, if you know what I mean; it's better for you, and probably more gracious to them.

So (and this is just my approach to it) I keep a $100 on me towards the last couple of days and wait until the head cocktail-maker or the CD has one or more of their fellows around him/her and "Thanks from me and Mrs Roosevelt - and for the Staff Drinks' fridge..." (and there is one of these, I have been well and truly assured) and, in a hand-shake, transfer the very much folded-up notes.

I then find in those 'last couple of days' one is looked after even better (if on Seabourn this is at all possible).

If Ladies feel this is a bit too bloke-sy, then they could do this in the new Seabourn Square, where there are usually more two crew-members behind their desks.

But, whichever way (and, as suggested by a previous poster, I might even just put it on my account next time), it's all for the good of some young people just starting out in Life (who for a time fully give you their skill and exhuberance) in getting back something, and, almost, so as to help give 'em some more of that exhuberance - if that makes sense.

Thanks Jane. Just easier than carrying extra cash. You weren't on HAL for New Year's Eve in 2010 were you?

No, only HAL cruise I have ever been on was in 1962, the 'old' Statendam. I was, however, being restrained from dancing on the tables on the Odyssey on 31/12/10.

There wear so much excellent service from all the crew - not just our hostess, MaitreD, Waiters, barmen etc - we just found it the best way to say thanks. On Odyssey, we just popped into Seabourn Square, told them what we wanted to do, and they added it to our onboard account

Even easier, they will put the slip in an envelope and deliver it to your suite and it can be filled out and signed and sent back to the Pursers' Office. (Height of indolence, but I was not feeling well.) I am also guilty of referring the cubical in Seabourn Square as the Pursers' Office.

Well just speaking for myself I'm not wild about the idea of palming off money to certain crew members on the last day. IMHO you really do risk not pitting the money where it can be best used by all of the wonderful Crew who bust their you know whats to provide great service.Yes, someone may have given you great bar service but what about all of the people behind the scenes whose hard work( cleaning glasses, haluing trash, ordering bar supplies, etc.) serve to make the bar tender look good?And yes, when I said pay the purser, you do that at the desk -- you don't physcially giver the purser the money. It is so easy just to add a little something to your shipboard account and I know they always appreciate it.It is also a way to say thanks in a very non showy manner that does not mess up the no tipping policy.

We made arrangements to donate to the crew fund at the office area in the middle of Seabourn Square. We were given the choice of paying cash or adding it to our account. The next morning, we received a thank you letter. It stated, "Donations to our fund sponsor many activities onboard and ashore for all sailing crew. However, events such as parties and crew BBQ's are not the only means to which these funds will be spent. In order to create a more enriching lifestyle onboard, the Crew Welfare Fund also endeavors to purchase items such as board games, mountain bikes and such for the use of crew, and to furnish the common areas with similar comforts of home for the betterment of all our hardworking crew."

A couple of years ago a group of us ("lit Sister) pooled our Crew Fund $$$'s ~the Crew bought a big flat screen TV for their "rec" room ~I enjoy "thanking" everyone ~top to bottom! I usually take small "love", fun gifts to those Crew members I want to reconize ~and I always give an envelope to my sweet Stewardess, Euros enclosed, and a note explaining I'd like to treat her to lunch shoreside. (I enclose enough for her to invite a girl friend or her gentleman friend) The "Gals" enjoy this rememberance ~and it's not a tip ~:p

I always leave a money envelope and a thank you note at the Purser Desk. The Crew really appreciates our gifts. And I certainly appreciate all of them~ afterall, if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be there.....

Martita B

Something that I have done on a several occasions is to bring t-shirts, bandanas, and other trinkets for the Pursers or Laundry Crew to wear for the Tug of War on the Crossings. I get 8 on sale at Land's End and have them monogrammed and then find things to go with that in the Oriental Trading Co catalogue. Not sure how I got started doing that, however. I addition, these last two cruses I have needed a wheelchair assist to disembark and I have tipped the staff member who has assisted me. Other than that, I prefer the Crew Welfare Fund.

Other than tipping my stewardess (along with a little port souvenier) I don't tip anyone else. Of course, that being said, I did just tip the waiter who helped me negotiate disembarcation in the wheelchair.

Yes, usually the thank you note is very prompt. HOwever on my last cruise I got someone else's note in an envelope addressed to me. That was doubly strange because I had not yetsubmitted the form. A quick word to the Pursers' would not be out of order, I think.

Not sure about Seabourn, but I've noticed this in other places. Check your bill in the spa. It may have a gratuity added in to the total so any tip would be additional to that.

They do add a gratuity on your bill at the Spa, so up to you whether you tip extra!:)

I will tell you that most crew members do NOT want us to leave money to the Crew Fund because the Crew does not get this money directly. It is used for Staff/Crew parties etc. We prefer instead to instead to leave $$$ to our cabin stewardess and Room Service people directly.;)

Yes, perhaps that is the preference of those crew who might get a tip. However, the staff who polish the brass in the middle of the night would get nothing. I do leave a small tip and a tiny gift (? magnet from a port, perhaps) for my stewardess.

We have more questions than answers. 1. Are spa staff Seabourn employees or independent contractors? 2. Does the no tipping policy apply to the spa staff? 3. If the policy applies does it apply only if the staff are Seabourn employees? 4. Is a tip automatically included on one's spa bill? 5. If included, is the tip included in the published rate for a particular service or is it added to the published rate? Inquiring minds want to know.

We have more questions than answers. 1. Are spa staff Seabourn employees or independent contractors? 2. Does the no tipping policy apply to the spa staff? 3. If the policy applies does it apply only if the staff are Seabourn employees? 4. Is a tip automatically included on one's spa bill? 5. If included, is the tip included in the published rate for a particular service or is it added to the published rate? Inquiring minds want to know.

This is what I understand.... Spa staff are independent contractors, tips are not included, and they are not added to the spa treatment charge automatically.

Host Dan

Archived