Aft Balconies on Millenium class

NorthCarolinaBelle

how are aft rooms in terms of motion?

i've always gone for midship, as i was told that's the best place for people who suffer from seasickness.

however, i'm thinking of booking an alaska cruise for this summer...a bit late in the game and all that's left is aft...

do the aft balcony rooms have much up and down motion?

also, is there engine noise/vibration?

We are in the same cabin this March. I will take pictures for you and remember to post to this thread when we get back if you'd like?

Please do post pictures, we will be doing a B2B in this cabin come June --- our first Aft.

Many thanks for your kindness.

Karen

i've always gone for midship, as i was told that's the best place for people who suffer from seasickness.

however, i'm thinking of booking an alaska cruise for this summer...a bit late in the game and all that's left is aft...

Wow that is so not normal to have only Afts left. Awesome for you!!!

We were in 8176 last year and have it booked again this year. Just LOVED it! I get sea sick very easily, so I take dramamine. On the way to Bermuda we had REALLY bad seas, so bad that I even got sick while on dramamine. But I was actually out and about when I started not feeling good. I think watching the ship sway from one side to the other is what did it. I went back to the room and laid down for awhile which really helped. There was some movement back there, but nothing to make me not book an Aft again.

Here are some pictures for you of 8176

aft.jpg.33ab7906e0f0ad452cb481ae5778bfac.jpg

aft2.jpg.b36da543a65fc6c49c3b2c7e2064a1c7.jpg

aft3.jpg.859a33d9cdb8df7bddd37bb982bcee18.jpg

aft4.jpg.eb4c47a0ff2be83137a5ac8c41b933d3.jpg

Wow that is so not normal to have only Afts left. Awesome for you!!!

We were in 8176 last year and have it booked again this year. Just LOVED it! I get sea sick very easily, so I take dramamine. On the way to Bermuda we had REALLY bad seas, so bad that I even got sick while on dramamine. But I was actually out and about when I started not feeling good. I think watching the ship sway from one side to the other is what did it. I went back to the room and laid down for awhile which really helped. There was some movement back there, but nothing to make me not book an Aft again.

Here are some pictures for you of 8176

well it happens there is one available - could be that someone just cancelled, but i'm going to grab it..

is 8176 an accessible stateroom?

the one i'm looking at is concierge, but not accessible, but i was wondering about the accessible staterooms as i'll be taking my mom on this cruise.

She'll be 85, and while she's not in a wheelchair, she does use wheelchairs in the airport etc.

what i was wondering - what are the bathrooms like in the accessible rooms?

are the sinks lower than normal? are other things different?

does it make it difficult to use if the person isn't in a wheelchair?

the one good thing that's probably in an accessible room - i would bet there's a seat of some kind in the shower. My mom has that in her showers at home. All the showers in her house are built with these really cool built in benches (they look like spas)..but anyway, i thought that a bench in the shower on a ship might be a good thing for her.

sorry for the long question!!

it's just so difficult to find out this information.

and pictures are even harder to come by!!

well it happens there is one available - could be that someone just cancelled, but i'm going to grab it..

is 8176 an accessible stateroom?

the one i'm looking at is concierge, but not accessible, but i was wondering about the accessible staterooms as i'll be taking my mom on this cruise.

She'll be 85, and while she's not in a wheelchair, she does use wheelchairs in the airport etc.

what i was wondering - what are the bathrooms like in the accessible rooms?

are the sinks lower than normal? are other things different?

does it make it difficult to use if the person isn't in a wheelchair?

the one good thing that's probably in an accessible room - i would bet there's a seat of some kind in the shower. My mom has that in her showers at home. All the showers in her house are built with these really cool built in benches (they look like spas)..but anyway, i thought that a bench in the shower on a ship might be a good thing for her.

sorry for the long question!!

it's just so difficult to find out this information.

and pictures are even harder to come by!!

I do not use a wheel chair but I do have issues w/ my leg/foot that require me to use a full brace.

I have pictures from the room & bathroom also :) Keeping in mind this was before the refurb in Jan.

The toilet is raised. There is a seat in the shower (which worked out perfectly for me!) It is kinda a bench/seat that you can flip down if you need it. The sink was not lower (at least I didnt notice it being lower) There is a hand rail in the bathroom & near the shower. The shower has a smaller lip so it does let water out but placing a towel on the ground worked out nicely.

333.jpg.f19525e436943bc97a1661b5137fa1a0.jpg

3335.jpg.0d2922db69e7b6d1d971c7f065355286.jpg

I do not use a wheel chair but I do have issues w/ my leg/foot that require me to use a full brace.

I have pictures from the room & bathroom also :) Keeping in mind this was before the refurb in Jan.

The toilet is raised. There is a seat in the shower (which worked out perfectly for me!) It is kinda a bench/seat that you can flip down if you need it. The sink was not lower (at least I didnt notice it being lower) There is a hand rail in the bathroom & near the shower. The shower has a smaller lip so it does let water out but placing a towel on the ground worked out nicely.

thanks for the pictures and explanation!!

i don't know if there is anything accessible available.

I just put a 24 hour hold on aft room 7208.

I'm going to call celebrity and see if they have an accessible concierge room for the same cruise.

my mom has been bugging me nonstop about wanting to go to alaska...well...not non-stop, but she mentions it almost every day...

so i guess we're going to do this :eek: (have i mentioned i'm afraid to fly)

thanks for the pictures and explanation!!

i don't know if there is anything accessible available.

I just put a 24 hour hold on aft room 7208.

I'm going to call celebrity and see if they have an accessible concierge room for the same cruise.

my mom has been bugging me nonstop about wanting to go to alaska...well...not non-stop, but she mentions it almost every day...

so i guess we're going to do this :eek: (have i mentioned i'm afraid to fly)

Ha ha I share your pain I dont fly either. What sailing date are you looking at? I can check and see if there is an opening for an acccessible for you :)

well now i'm looking at the sky suite - there's one left on the port side - which is the preferred side for the southbound alaska cruise..

anyone know anything about sky suites?

and suite #6129 in particular?

i see it's above the champagne bar..sort of...

but on the other hand, it's right near an elevator which makes it a little easier to get to i would think..

what's the difference between a sky suite and concierge?

i've never been on celebrity so i'm totally clueless as to what any of this means..

well now i'm looking at the sky suite - there's one left on the port side - which is the preferred side for the southbound alaska cruise..

anyone know anything about sky suites?

and suite #6129 in particular?

i see it's above the champagne bar..sort of...

but on the other hand, it's right near an elevator which makes it a little easier to get to i would think..

what's the difference between a sky suite and concierge?

i've never been on celebrity so i'm totally clueless as to what any of this means..

Can't help you there I have never been in a Celebrity suite before. Sorry!

I just got off the Millennium last Sat., was in 7206.

Yes, you get more motion and vibration when compared to a mid ship and we had mild seas. You stay down on deck 7 and 8 you do not hear the bar noise too much.

The balcony is HUGE, you could land a airplane on it. I would book it again.

John

Thanks to all the info on these boards, DW and I enjoyed 14 days in 7208 on Connie last winter. LOVED IT!

Try to stay on decks 7 or 8. We felt afts on deck 9 were a bit too close to the bar above it. Heard complaints of noise (chair dragging) and debris from the bar effecting afts on deck 9.

Afts on Decks 7 and 8 are far enough removed from the bar to avoid this. Also the music from the bar is great! It's guitar music usually played for sail away (5 or 6pm) or no later than 9-10pm. Never later.

We sat on the balcony and listened to the music as the ship sailed out around sunset. You just can't beat that!

Enjoy!

Hi, great info, thanks. Do you need to have a minimum amount of people in room to book the family aft cabins?

When an FV opened up we booked it directly through Celebrity even there were only two of us. Later they told me that if may be taken away if a family needed it. After arguing (very nicely) that they allowed it to be booked, they let us keep it.

As far as the aft C1's on the 9th deck, we had one and did hear some noise if there was a loud group but it never lasted very long. We enjoyed listening to the guitar player each evening. One warning is that it is way too easy to run up to the bar and bring drinks back down to your verandah. A drink package may be necessary. :D If we're in the aft on an M class we eat lunches on our verandah. Easy to do and very peaceful.

I'd take an aft balcony on 9 in a heartbeat! Our experience was not a lot of noise or smoke at all...and so easy to run up for a drink or a snack to bring back to your fab balcony.

We'll be in 9201 on the Infinity for Alaska May 25th!!!

Ready to go

ok - so i got 7212 - the aft accessible stateroom.

The only issue i see with it, is the distance from the elevator to the room.

i wonder how hard it is to push a wheelchair around the ship.

i guess i'm going to find out.

She doesn't need a wheelchair all the time, but it seems on the ship the distances getting around will be too much without one.

i mostly want to have the room for the bench in the shower for her. I don't think she'd be able to shower without one.

Never think you have to say your sorry for asking questions. That is what cruise critic is for. You get a world of info on this site and once you learn you pass it on. Here is a pic of the back of the ship.

2896273350105526181S600x600Q85.jpg

The cabins in the middle 9164, 8176, and 7212 are handicap cabins and their balconies are enormous. The two cabins on each side of the back are family staterooms. Hope this helps to make up your mind.

Pat

Here are a couple of photos depicting the newly "constructed/Solticized" balconies on Summit replacing that kids play area ("fun factory") in the older photo above...

1830661092_SummitSolticizedAftPortsideview.jpg.9ccd0ac2a6da46047efd38f549c8638f.jpg

430901_10150638759870879_92998025878_11234946_254481321_n.jpg.458eba9b04c0eda17ebfac6ca970b555.jpg

by the way, i switched our cruise to get the aft accessible stateroom.

i moved us to 2 weeks later.

We're pretty flexible in terms of when we can go.

It's more expensive that week, but i'd rather get the right stateroom.

after looking at as many pictures as i could find - not so easy to find bathroom pictures, i concluded she can only be in an accessible bathroom.

I think the accessible rooms are a lot uglier than the regular ones and you lose storage space, but i do think the bathroom is a must for her.

now i have to find out if i can rent a wheelchair for the cruise.

for the flights, the airlines always provide wheelchairs (and a person to help her, which is great).

but i'm guessing that's not true of the cruise lines..

after looking at as many pictures as i could find - not so easy to find bathroom pictures, i concluded she can only be in an accessible bathroom.

I think the accessible rooms are a lot uglier than the regular ones and you lose storage space, but i do think the bathroom is a must for her.

for the flights, the airlines always provide wheelchairs (and a person to help her, which is great).

i switched us again - this time to the midship accessible verandah room (not concierge)....the savings is only $500, but i didn't do it for that..

i decided that midship would be easier for two reasons...it's right next to the elevator, so much easier for my mom to navigate...

and midship, just in case we have rough seas on the cruise..

i told my mom last night (for the first time) that i'd reserved a cruise for us....

when i told her about the accessible rooms, she said she HAD to have one...that she had to have the bench in the shower and the support bars in the bathroom....so good i decided to go for that..

and she was happy that i chose midship, instead of aft..

so i kissed my beautiful aft balcony goodbye!! that's fine...we won't spend that much time on it anyway...

i switched us again - this time to the midship accessible verandah room (not concierge)....the savings is only $500, but i didn't do it for that..

i decided that midship would be easier for two reasons...it's right next to the elevator, so much easier for my mom to navigate...

and midship, just in case we have rough seas on the cruise..

i told my mom last night (for the first time) that i'd reserved a cruise for us....

when i told her about the accessible rooms, she said she HAD to have one...that she had to have the bench in the shower and the support bars in the bathroom....so good i decided to go for that..

and she was happy that i chose midship, instead of aft..

so i kissed my beautiful aft balcony goodbye!! that's fine...we won't spend that much time on it anyway...

Awesome! Glad you finally got something booked and your Mommy is happy. Have a great time :)

Call Celebrity for the wheelchair. I called the special needs line directly and they set this up 1-2-3. They are going to have a push one waiting for my Grandmother at no charge when we arrive at the pier and will also give her priority embarkation. She's also got an accessible balcony cabin at midship.

Archived