Seems like Royal threw in the towel on their seat saving policy in the Main Theater

bajathree

I don't think that would work.....to involved....you would have to have an actual ticket then and you would have to have ushers to both assist and make sure folks are sitting in the right seats....then of course you would have to have the passengers cooperation that they wouldn't just move into empty seats....if they couldn't even enforce the no save seat policy I don't ever see them being able to enforce as assigned seat policy.

This is how it works in venues all over the country...including sports stadiums, that deal with many more thousands of people. People can try to keep moving into empty seats, but they may find themselves moving a lot. Generally, it doesn't take that much convincing that someone is in your seat if you have a ticket...I have seen this many times, and the folks just get up and leave when asked by the ticket holder to do so. I can't imagine that people that go on cruises are more surly than the general public. Yes, you would need an usher or two, but I think this would allow the ushers to be spared a lot of grief. I can't imagine too many fights or arguments breaking out with assigned seating.

I don't think that would work.....to involved....you would have to have an actual ticket then and you would have to have ushers to both assist and make sure folks are sitting in the right seats....then of course you would have to have the passengers cooperation that they wouldn't just move into empty seats....if they couldn't even enforce the no save seat policy I don't ever see them being able to enforce as assigned seat policy.

Agree with you 100% on this....K.O. Near Philly;)

This is how it works in venues all over the country...including sports stadiums, that deal with many more thousands of people. People can try to keep moving into empty seats, but they may find themselves moving a lot. Generally, it doesn't take that much convincing that someone is in your seat if you have a ticket...I have seen this many times, and the folks just get up and leave when asked by the ticket holder to do so. I can't imagine that people that go on cruises are more surly than the general public. Yes, you would need an usher or two, but I think this would allow the ushers to be spared a lot of grief. I can't imagine too many fights or arguments breaking out with assigned seating.

The problem I have with this is that I often don't know until shortly before the show which ones I will be attending. Yes, for the big ships you now need to make reservations, but that is again not for all. When I am on vacation I like to go with the flow, not plan so far ahead.

For the single sporting event, concert, etc it is more of a 1 time deal, not the same in my view as the shows on a ship.

And just look at how many people sports stadiums, theaters, concert halls...ect employ on event day;)...many... many more than you will see any of the CL's dedicate.

And just look at how many people sports stadiums, theaters, concert halls...ect employ on event day;)...many... many more than you will see any of the CL's dedicate.

I see everyone's point. I guess the gist of my argument is that there are only really two options available....assigned seats or a free for all. With a free for all, you get all the problems stated above. Assigned seating would definitely be more difficult to implement and people may not want this. However, there is absolutely no way to police a no seat saving policy. When it's a free for all, you just have to expect that not everyone's behavior is going to be nice or reasonable!

I see everyone's point. I guess the gist of my argument is that there are only really two options available....assigned seats or a free for all. With a free for all, you get all the problems stated above. Assigned seating would definitely be more difficult to implement and people may not want this. However, there is absolutely no way to police a no seat saving policy. When it's a free for all, you just have to expect that not everyone's behavior is going to be nice or reasonable!

just thinking out loud, I wonder if there's some way to do it like other free concerts etc where tickets are passed out starting an hour or so before the show, and everyone who wants a tickets has to personally pick it up, and seats could be assigned then. just a thought, but I know every plan has it's drawbacks.

The other difference too is I didn't pay for my ticket, so what is going to stop me from reserving seats to various shows just in case I feel like going later on and just not showing up? I have a feeling a lot of people would do that.

However, there is absolutely no way to police a no seat saving policy.

There is a way you could try.

The bar staff wanders up and down the aisles and rows before the shows. When they see someone saving seats, they could politely remind the person that it is not allowed. Even if 50% respond to the drink waiters, it would be an improvement.

The other difference too is I didn't pay for my ticket, so what is going to stop me from reserving seats to various shows just in case I feel like going later on and just not showing up? I have a feeling a lot of people would do that.

You are right with the payment angle...no real committment. However, you could make it a free for all at a certain point in time...say 15 min. before show time...just like they do now in regards to people without reservations. You relinquish your seat at a certain point in time. That way the people who like to plan can have their seats, and the ones that like to do things spontaneously can still count on a certain number of people not showing up. Just a thought.

We had an actual fist fight over saving seats in the theater on the Freedom in November. People are amazing.

Wonder what the best seat for the seat saving fight is?

What this sounds like to me is that they do not want to put their staff in the way of what could be a physical altercation. They are protecting their employees..

Yes but apparently at the cost of the safety of the guests. There needs to be staff in theater to diffuse situations about seating or whatever. Otherwise the guests will take it upon themselves and clearly with disastrous results.

Disney and Universal Studios have you fill in rows at shows with great success. The Fantasmic show at Disney Hollywood Studios is HUGE and yet they absolutely have no problems getting guests into seats without major incident. If a group shows up missing people they are told to stand in the back until their entire party arrives. After you're seated there's no issue with you running to the restroom or bar or whatever because the staff knows they have seated every row to capacity.

I am so tired of obnoxious people on cruise ships!

Here here. How bout people who feel entitled to an elevator before you? When I boarded the Jewel this December I walked to the rear elevators to get to my room. I saw a group of older women all bunched up near one elevator waiting. I walked over to far end elevator and hit the button. It came in seconds and one of the elderly women went berzerk on me saying they've been waiting for an elevator for so long and how rude of me not to offer the elevator to them. I blew her off.

Here here. How bout people who feel entitled to an elevator before you? When I boarded the Jewel this December I walked to the rear elevators to get to my room. I saw a group of older women all bunched up near one elevator waiting. I walked over to far end elevator and hit the button. It came in seconds and one of the elderly women went berzerk on me saying they've been waiting for an elevator for so long and how rude of me not to offer the elevator to them. I blew her off.

You should of let them on first

We are often late to the shows (as in around 10 minutes before).

On the balcony there are on each side (depending on ship) 2 standalone chairs that are meant for the partner for a wheelchair.

Many time there are a couple sitting there without any wheelchair around.

And even if I ask if I could have the chair closest to my wife, I am often told no.

On our last cruise I was 50% of the time standing behind her....

Cheers

Nice part about being D+ (or if you are in a suite) is that RC saves the seats for you. Of course, they do open them up before the show for everybody, but you do not have to get there so early.

Having read reports of reserved D+ seating before, I recently went on the Allure expecting this. However, there was NO D+ seating in the Aqua or show theater.

My wife and I always get to the theater early to pick out the seats that we like. No way are we going to move to accommodate those coming in later or with a heard of their friends and family that think they all need to sit together. We’ve only been asked once if we would move. I was polite and said “no we prefer these seats”. In our opinion it’s rude and inconsiderate to even ask.

I don't think it's rude in all cases to ask this. How many times have you seen 2 people sitting on the end, then another party comes in and purposely leaves a seat between themselves and the other party? It happens all the time. That ends up leaving single seats within the row. I don't find it rude at all to ask people to move over 1 seat so that a couple can sit together. Of course some people prefer the end, like my long legged DH, but within a row I think it would be very considerate to allow a couple to sit together and moving 1 seat over won't kill me.

Agreed. That's just the same as being at the front of a long checkout line, then another lane opens up and the person at the END of the line runs over to the newly opened checkout. Extremely RUDE! :mad:

On the balcony there are on each side (depending on ship) 2 standalone chairs that are meant for the partner for a wheelchair.

And even if I ask if I could have the chair closest to my wife, I am often told no.

Cheers

This is not acceptable. That chair is intended for the partner of a wheelchair, and should be reserved as such. If a person sits there who does not need it, they absolutely should move.

At minimum, RCI should put a sign on that chair reserving it for wheelchair accompaniment.

Having read reports of reserved D+ seating before, I recently went on the Allure expecting this. However, there was NO D+ seating in the Aqua or show theater.

There should have been....the reserved seating may not say D+ but they use the same reserved seating as for suite guests...the sign usually says you must have a gold sea-pass card....but if you show them your card saying diamond plus on the bottom they will let you in.

There should have been....the reserved seating may not say D+ but they use the same reserved seating as for suite guests...the sign usually says you must have a gold sea-pass card....but if you show them your card saying diamond plus on the bottom they will let you in.

I actually asked the crew member who was guarding the suite seating area and he said there was no reserved seating for D+ members.

Agreed. That's just the same as being at the front of a long checkout line, then another lane opens up and the person at the END of the line runs over to the newly opened checkout. Extremely RUDE! :mad:

===

Disagree - 1 person could not have filled up an elevator the "group" could have still boarded or if the 1 person did fill up the elevator then the group could not have boarded even if the 1 person deferred. Yeah the 1 perosn could have made the group unable to board but that is unlikely. Also there are 2 banks of elevators if I was at one bank (port) and the group was on the other side of the ship (starboard) then why should I wait for them to run over to board.

People need to lighten up. If they are that anal on a vacation then imagine how they are in everyday life, whew I perish the thought.

===

Disagree - 1 person could not have filled up an elevator the "group" could have still boarded or if the 1 person did fill up the elevator then the group could not have boarded even if the 1 person deferred. Yeah the 1 perosn could have made the group unable to board but that is unlikely. Also there are 2 banks of elevators if I was at one bank (port) and the group was on the other side of the ship (starboard) then why should I wait for them to run over to board.

People need to lighten up. If they are that anal on a vacation then imagine how they are in everyday life' date=' whew I perish the thought.[/quote']

Obviously we are not talking about elevator banks on opposite sides of the ship. I'm talking about when you are standing there waiting for an elevator, and someone who just walks up boards before you. Whether 1 person prevented them from boarding or not, it's still rude not to at least allow the ladies to board first. And the person stated he "blew them off". You can disagree, but I still say it's rude!

Obviously we are not talking about elevator banks on opposite sides of the ship. I'm talking about when you are standing there waiting for an elevator, and someone who just walks up boards before you. Whether 1 person prevented them from boarding or not, it's still rude not to at least allow the ladies to board first. And the person stated he "blew them off". You can disagree, but I still say it's rude!

I'm with Spock's Brain on this one. I would never cut in front of anyone but if the elevator door opens in front of me while others are waiting at another elevator door, I'm getting on. Elevators are a roll of the dice. I'm a little stand offish when it comes to elevators and if this occurs it's usually because I was standing back from the crowd. It's very funny to watch people all huddled at the same door anticipating that it will be the next arriving elevator and to watch the number of people that walk up and huddle at the same elevator waiting to pounce. If they actually took note of their numbers they would realize the couldn't possibly all fit.

I have stepped aside for wheel chairs if there is room on the elevator because I know it's tough to get an elevator with enough room for it to fit. I was actually told on this blog that I was wrong for doing that because there maybe other handicap people with hidden disabilities waiting. Sorry but don't chastise me for not knowing you have a hidden handicap.

I'm with Spock's Brain on this one. I would never cut in front of anyone but if the elevator door opens in front of me while others are waiting at another elevator door, I'm getting on. Elevators are a roll of the dice. I'm a little stand offish when it comes to elevators and if this occurs it's usually because I was standing back from the crowd. It's very funny to watch people all huddled at the same door anticipating that it will be the next arriving elevator and to watch the number of people that walk up and huddle at the same elevator waiting to pounce. If they actually took note of their numbers they would realize the couldn't possibly all fit.

I have stepped aside for wheel chairs if there is room on the elevator because I know it's tough to get an elevator with enough room for it to fit. I was actually told on this blog that I was wrong for doing that because there maybe other handicap people with hidden disabilities waiting. Sorry but don't chastise me for not knowing you have a hidden handicap.

Well when an elevator door opens closer to me, but another person or group was there before me, I tell them to get on first.

I agree. I try not to take the elevators at all, but when I do, if somebody is in the elevator bank before me, I will let them on first. It's just common courtesy.

Cheers

First of all, you're not late if you're there 10 minutes before the show. And I agree that there should be a sign indicating that the seats are reserved for wheelchair assistance, and the person guarding the suite area should stay with those chairs until the show begins - right now, they leave at the 10 minute mark.

As it is now, you're effectively asking one person to stand through the show or for both of them to move to another area of the theater. If it's already full, then I don't think it's a reasonable request (assuming that you are able to stand as well as they are). But if not, then I think that it is. But you're counting on them being willing to accomodate a stranger. Sadly, many are not.

Archived