New NCL Cancelation Policy?

Admin

Hi there!

I've done a search and didn't find this. If I overlooked it, I apologize for the redundancy.

I was just on the phone with my NCL PCC trying to cancel a cruise on the Pearl. We have to reschedule. Final payment is January 30, 2012. She asked me if I was aware of the 25% cancelation fee for canceling a suite between the 120 and 90 day mark even before final payment. I was not aware and pulled up the confirmation I have from May 16, 2011 that doesn't have that cancelation policy listed then she e mailed me a current copy of the reservation and it's listed there. She said this new policy went into effect January 1, 2012 but we weren't made aware. Now I'm waiting to see what her supervisor says because this policy wasn't conveyed to us.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Thanks!

I don't know the answer to your particular question but I find this interesting, when considered with the whole OBC for DSC situation people have been encountering since Jan. 1. I wonder how many other policy changes went into effect on January 1st that NCL didn't bother to tell anyone about :confused:

There was a new policy put into effect for bookings made on or after January 1, 2011, not 2012, so it would apply to your booking that was made in May, 2011.

The cancellation penalty you mention is not applicable to all suites...it applies to all Haven and "specialty" suites categories...the suites whose category designations end in a number. It doesn't apply to SF, SE, etc.

http://www2.ncl.com/about/additional-terms-and-conditions#2011

Sadly, yes:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CancellationFeeSchedule

Oh, wait a minute, that does look higher than I remember. I thought you lost the deposit only during that period, now I am confused.

Thanks for the link! I'm confused too. I don't get how they can charge a cancelation fee for a cruise I haven't paid for yet. Worst case scenario can't I cancel the credit card I used so they can't auto bill me? I'm not saying I'd do that but...

I understand cancelation policies but this wasn't part of the contract I agreed to back in May of last year. It was added and they didn't write to me to say they were changing the terms of the contract and give me an out. So now I wait to see what they say. If we have to pay it, it's almost $1,600. For deposit we used a FCC equal to $250 bought on a previous cruise.

There was a new policy put into effect for bookings made on or after January 1, 2011, not 2012, so it would apply to your booking that was made in May, 2011.

The cancellation penalty you mention is not applicable to all suites...it applies to all Haven and "specialty" suites categories.

CANCELLATION FEE SCHEDULE

FOR ALL BOOKINGS MADE PRIOR TO 1/1/11

Days Prior to

Departure Date Cruise Cancellation

Fee Air

Cancellation

Fee Land

Cancellation

Fee *Add-On

Cancellation

Fee

Cruise Days: 1-5 Days

75-61 days

(Holiday Only) Deposit $200 $0 $0

60-30 days Deposit $100 $0 $0

29-8 days 50% $200 100% 50%

7 days or less 100% 100% 100% 100%

Cruise Days: 6 Days or More

90-76 days

(Holiday Only) Deposit $200 $50 10%

75-30 days Deposit $100 ($200 holiday) 0 ($50 holiday) 10%

29-8 days 50% $200 100% 50%

7 days or less 100% 100% 100% 100%

Cruise Days: 5 Days or Less

Garden Villas, Courtyard Villas and Specialty Suites:

Categories (A1, AA, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7; S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6 and S9)

Greater than 120 days prior to sailing $0 $100 100% 50%

119 -90 days 1st & 2nd

$250 per person $100 100% 50%

$500 (Singles)

89 -46 days 25% of cruise fare $100 100% 50%

45 days or less

100% 100% 100% 100%

Garden Villas, Courtyard Villas and Specialty Suites:

Categories (A1, AA, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7; S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6 and S9)

Greater than 120 days prior to sailing $0 $0 ($200 Holiday) $0 ($50 Holiday) $0

119 - 90 days 1st & 2nd

$250 per person $100 ($200 Holiday) $0 ($50 Holiday) $0

$500 (Singles)

89 - 46 days 25% of cruise fare $100 ($200 Holiday) $0 ($50 Holiday) 10%

45 days or less 100% 100% 100% 100%

CANCELLATION FEE SCHEDULE

FOR ALL BOOKINGS MADE AS OF 1/1/11

Days Prior to

Departure Date Cruise

Cancellation

Fee Air

Cancellation

Fee Land

Cancellation

Fee Add-On

Cancellation

Fee

Cruise Days: 1-5 Days

75 - 61 days

(Holiday Only) Deposit $0 $0 $0

60 - 45 days Deposit $100 $0 $0

44 - 30 days 50%* 50% 50% 50%

29 - 15 days 75%* 75% 75% 75%

14 days or less 100% 100% 100% 100%

89 - 75 days

(Holiday Only) Deposit $0 $0 $0

74 - 60 days Deposit $100 $0 $0

59 - 30 days 50%* 50% 50% 50%

29 - 15 days 75%* 75% 75% 75%

14 days or less 100% 100% 100% 100%

Cruise Days: All Cruise Lengths

Garden Villas, Courtyard Villas and Specialty Suites

(Categories: A1, AA, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7; S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6 and S9)

Greater than 120

days prior to sailing $0 $0 0% 0%

119 - 90 days 25% * $0 0% 0%

89 - 56 days 50% * $100 $0 10%

55 days or less

100% 100% 100% 100%

This isn't part of my contract though. When I had to sign back my agreeing to the terms and conditions, this isnt part of it. I checked this morning and went over it with the PCC and she said, you're right. These terms aren't listed on your contract. But who knows? I know they cover themselves for every situation so we may be up a creek! :eek:

I don't know the answer to your particular question but I find this interesting, when considered with the whole OBC for DSC situation people have been encountering since Jan. 1. I wonder how many other policy changes went into effect on January 1st that NCL didn't bother to tell anyone about :confused:

The cancellation policy change was made on Jan 1, 2011, a year earlier, not 1/1/12.

Thanks for the link! I'm confused too. I don't get how they can charge a cancelation fee for a cruise I haven't paid for yet. Worst case scenario can't I cancel the credit card I used so they can't auto bill me? I'm not saying I'd do that but...

I understand cancelation policies but this wasn't part of the contract I agreed to back in May of last year. It was added and they didn't write to me to say they were changing the terms of the contract and give me an out. So now I wait to see what they say. If we have to pay it, it's almost $1,600. For deposit we used a FCC equal to $250 bought on a previous cruise.

This isn't part of my contract though. When I had to sign back my agreeing to the terms and conditions, this isnt part of it. I checked this morning and went over it with the PCC and she said, you're right. These terms aren't listed on your contract. But who knows? I know they cover themselves for every situation so we may be up a creek! :eek:

I'm not sure how you can say it wasn't part of your contract when you made your booking in May, several months after the policy changed. It has been part of the Additional Terms and Conditions since Jan. 1, 2011. It's been on NCL's site since that time.

The cancellation penalty you mention is not applicable to all suites...it applies to all Haven and "specialty" suites categories...the suites whose category designations end in a number. It doesn't apply to SF, SE, etc.

What does the * beside some of the cancellation fees refer to?

I'm not sure how you can say it wasn't part of your contract when you made your booking in May, several months after the policy changed. It has been part of the Additional Terms and Conditions since Jan. 1, 2011. It's been on NCL's site since that time.
That's what I'm saying. The old cancelation policy is part of my contract that I agreed to. I didn't see or agree to this new policy. It may have been in effect all of last year but it wasn't part of my contract.

That's what I'm saying. The old cancelation policy is part of my contract that I agreed to. I didn't see or agree to this new policy. It may have been in effect all of last year but it wasn't part of my contract.

But what I'm saying is how can you say it isn't part of your contract? The Additional Terms and Conditions, which are part of your contract, have been that way since 1/1/11, months before you booked your cruise. There are two sets of cancellation policies carried on NCL's site, one for bookings made prior to 1/1/11, and one for bookings made on or after that date.

Your original post says the new policy went onto effect in 2012: "She said this new policy went into effect January 1, 2012" but you are wrong...it went into effect in 2011.

Good luck, I hope at worst case it is only the deposit you lose!
Thanks! If there's nothing we can do then I'd be more than happy to take the cruise! I didn't want to cancel anyway! I just have another obligation that week. But I can't just give NCL $1,600. So...maybe this will force us to go and that wouldn't make me completely unhappy. ;)

But what I'm saying is how can you say it isn't part of your contract? The Additional Terms and Conditions, which are part of your contract, have been that way since 1/1/11, months before you booked your cruise. There are two sets of cancellation policies carried on NCL's site, one for bookings made prior to 1/1/11, and one for bookings made on or after that date.

Your original post says the new policy went onto effect in 2012, but you are wrong...it went into effect in 2011.

My PCC at NCL said the policy went into effect on January 1, 2012. Perhaps she's wrong but I'm not wrong in writing what she said to me. I'm also not wrong in having a contract in front of me on my screen that shows the older cancelation policy and not the new one.

My PCC at NCL said the policy went into effect on January 1, 2012. Perhaps she's wrong but I'm not wrong in writing what she said to me. I'm also not wrong in having a contract in front of me on my screen that shows the older cancelation policy and not the new one.

OK...so she's the one that's wrong, but it's still wrong. Another example of the all too common bad telephone customer service we get from businesses.

Since both versions of the cancellation policy are still available on the Web site, maybe you just printed the wrong one?

What does the * beside some of the cancellation fees refer to?

Answering my own question

*or deposit, whichever is higher.

This was on a separate page containing only the cancellation policy. They really ought to have this on the terms and conditions page. Terms don't mean much if they are not complete.

I'm also wondering what Admin has asked, how can they charge you more than you have already paid them?

OK...so she's the one that's wrong, but it's still wrong. Another example of the all too common bad telephone customer service we get from businesses.

Since both versions of the cancellation policy are still available on the Web site, maybe you just printed the wrong one?

I'm looking at the contract they e mail that says to read the cancelation terms and then digitally accept. The policy isn't listed there. :( But again, I'm sure NCL has covered themselves and we'll now have to figure out what to do.

Answering my own question

*or deposit, whichever is higher.

This was on a separate page containing only the cancellation policy. They really ought to have this on the terms and conditions page. Terms don't mean much if they are not complete.

I'm also wondering what Admin has asked, how can they charge you more than you have already paid them?

We used a $250 FCC for the deposit and didn't pay the $2,250 deposit that would normally have been required for a Haven room. In that case, they would have more than the 25%. But for right now all they have of our money is $250 in FCC.

We used a $250 FCC for the deposit and didn't pay the $2,250 deposit that would normally have been required for a Haven room. In that case, they would have more than the 25%. But for right now all they have of our money is $250 in FCC.

So does that mean they don't even have a credit card? I'm just wondering how they get the fee out of you. :confused:

Obviously, if they have the credit card, they can just as a hotel would charge your card if you didn't show up for a room.

So does that mean they don't even have a credit card? I'm just wondering how they get the fee out of you. :confused:

Obviously, if they have the credit card, they can just as a hotel would charge your card if you didn't show up for a room.

Good question. I thought the same. I don't believe they have my card because I held the reservation with the FCC.

If the change was made after you made the deposit, the original rules should apply. If the change was made before and was incorporated by reference it may have a different answer. If they try to get the higher amount I would suggest contacting the Florida Attorney general's office and see what they say(they have been good in forcing cruise lines to adhere to the original terms...)

Archived