New NCL Cancelation Policy?

Admin

Good question. I thought the same. I don't believe they have my card because I held the reservation with the FCC.

When we have booked suites with a Cruise Reward/FCC, we get the $250 credit applied, but have always had to go ahead and pay the difference between the suite deposit due and the $250 (e.g., $1,500 - $250 = $1,250). I'm surprised they let you book/hold a suite with just the $250 FCC. Now, if we booked a mini-suite or any other non-suite cabin, the $250 serves as the full deposit for the room until final payment.

If the change was made after you made the deposit, the original rules should apply. If the change was made before and was incorporated by reference it may have a different answer. If they try to get the higher amount I would suggest contacting the Florida Attorney general's office and see what they say(they have been good in forcing cruise lines to adhere to the original terms...)

Sid, the cancellation provisions changed for bookings made on or after 1/1/11, and were available on the NCL site at that time...in fact I seem to recall they were even published prior to that date. The rules were changed months before the OP booked in May, 2011, not retroactively imposed.

An ill-informed PCC is contributing to the problem by stating the new policy took effect on 1/1/12, rather than the actual effective date one year earlier.

For booking our suite for May, we were able to use our FCC plus $500 further deposit. We did not have to put up the normal deposit less the $250 for the FCC.

We have no intention of canceling, but I am curious as to how this resolves, given the faulty contract documents.

For booking our suite for May, we were able to use our FCC plus $500 further deposit. We did not have to put up the normal deposit less the $250 for the FCC.

We have no intention of canceling, but I am curious as to how this resolves, given the faulty contract documents.

It doesn't look like there are any faulty contract documents. There are two problems...an NCL PCC giving out misinformation about the effective date of the cancellation policy, and the OP's realization that in fact they had not read the contract Terms and Conditions as instructed in their confirmation. When you register for your cruise on NCL's site, you are required to electronically sign that you accept the contract and all its terms and conditions. You're given the opportunity to read it, and even print a copy if you wish. I'm sure 99.99% of cruise passengers do neither.

This may be a dumb question, but I just booked my 1st ever penthouse suite. Ends in a letter SE, not a number, so I'm thinking all this won't apply to me, but like a prior poster, will watch for the outcome.

Now my question. When booking Haven Suites, or Suites that end in a number, do you get a special contract that you must sign?

When I booked my penthouse suite, My PCC took just my Crusie Reward Certificate for deposit and then sent me a PDF of my reservation. At the bottom of the reservation is the cancellation policy. I've not seen any other "contract" or been asked to sign or electronically sign anything.

The cancellation policy on the bottom of my reservation indicates 76 day as the magic cut off for full refund with no penalty.

Thanks and Admin, good luck!

When we have booked suites with a Cruise Reward/FCC, we get the $250 credit applied, but have always had to go ahead and pay the difference between the suite deposit due and the $250 (e.g., $1,500 - $250 = $1,250). I'm surprised they let you book/hold a suite with just the $250 FCC. Now, if we booked a mini-suite or any other non-suite cabin, the $250 serves as the full deposit for the room until final payment.

You obviously book the "higher" suites that have S and a number (S1) rather than two letters, ie. SF. The FCC is the full deposit for the letters only suites. Or you are booking with a TA that doesn't know how it works.

It doesn't look like there are any faulty contract documents. There are two problems...an NCL PCC giving out misinformation about the effective date of the cancellation policy, and the OP's realization that in fact they had not read the contract Terms and Conditions as instructed in their confirmation. When you register for your cruise on NCL's site, you are required to electronically sign that you accept the contract and all its terms and conditions. You're given the opportunity to read it, and even print a copy if you wish. I'm sure 99.99% of cruise passengers do neither.
I'm not new to this rodeo. I'm a Platinum cruiser with NCL and I've booked over 16 cruises in the last decade. I read and reread everything and I have a contract e mailed to me in May that has one cancellation policy on it and a contract e mailed to me today that has another. You're incorrect in saying I realized I didn't read the contract. I have it in front of me. You may be right that I missed something but I know what I can read with my two eyes having done this a time or two.

This may be a dumb question, but I just booked my 1st ever penthouse suite. Ends in a letter SE, not a number, so I'm thinking all this won't apply to me, but like a prior poster, will watch for the outcome.

Now my question. When booking Haven Suites, or Suites that end in a number, do you get a special contract that you must sign?

When I booked my penthouse suite, My PCC took just my Crusie Reward Certificate for deposit and then sent me a PDF of my reservation. At the bottom of the reservation is the cancellation policy. I've not seen any other "contract" or been asked to sign or electronically sign anything.

The cancellation policy on the bottom of my reservation indicates 76 day as the magic cut off for full refund with no penalty.

To date I have the same as you. I have a reservation document with one cancelation policy from May of last year and a reservation document with a different cancelation policy dated today. That's what I've been saying several times in this thread. It's not that I missed something. I'm looking with my eyes and I see two different things on the same reservation.

But we'll see. I'm the first to admit I might have missed something. I've booked and taken tons of cruises and agreed to many a contracts. It's totally possible that I messed this up.

A quick check shows that I deposited the Haven suite with the $250 FCC and paid no additional funds. The only way they will have my credit card for this reservation is if they take it from the cruise we did last September.

Whew...now I just need to hear back from the PCC.

Okay, let me see if I can help clear through some of the mud here...

When you book your cruise - regardless of what category stateroom booked, you pay a deposit, and you receive an email confirmation of your reservation. This applies to all reservations, regardless of category.

At some time later, you log into MyNCL, and you complete your check-in process. The last step of this process prompts you to read the contract, and then check the box indicating you have done so. At this point you may also print the contract if you chose. By checking that box, you are providing an electronic signature. This also applies to all reservations, regardless of category.

There is a difference between a confirmation of a reservation, and a contract. That being said, it is possible to see the contract in its entirety (and print it if you so desire) on NCL's website at any time.

Now with regard to the Cancellation Policy, the 76 days penalty-free applies to any stateroom not in the Haven category.

Sure hope this helps! ;)

Sid, the cancellation provisions changed for bookings made on or after 1/1/11, and were available on the NCL site at that time...in fact I seem to recall they were even published prior to that date. The rules were changed months before the OP booked in May, 2011, not retroactively imposed.

An ill-informed PCC is contributing to the problem by stating the new policy took effect on 1/1/12, rather than the actual effective date one year earlier.

I am pretty sure it really doesn't matter what the pcc said verbally or what policy is on NCL's website. What matters is what policy the client was asked to sign. That is the one that is in effect unless they sent a revision and were asked to sign again.

Okay, let me see if I can help clear through some of the mud here...

When you book your cruise - regardless of what category stateroom booked, you pay a deposit, and you receive an email confirmation of your reservation. This applies to all reservations, regardless of category.

At some time later, you log into MyNCL, and you complete your check-in process. The last step of this process prompts you to read the contract, and then check the box indicating you have done so. At this point you may also print the contract if you chose. By checking that box, you are providing an electronic signature. This also applies to all reservations, regardless of category.

There is a difference between a confirmation of a reservation, and a contract. That being said, it is possible to see the contract in its entirety (and print it if you so desire) on NCL's website at any time.

Now with regard to the Cancellation Policy, the 76 days penalty-free applies to any stateroom not in the Haven category.

Sure hope this helps! ;)

You've always been helpful. Thanks for the input.

Just opened up the Guest Ticket Contract and it says, The terms herein shall be binding upon payment of the cruise fare by the guest and guest accepts and agrees to terms upon presenting this contract to the carrier for boarding even if no payment of the cruise fare has been paid. Huh? lol It's binding upon payment but no payment has to be made. Sounds like the kind of arguement my 6 year old makes when he's trying to convince me the 3 year old did it. :p

You've always been helpful. Thanks for the input.

Just opened up the Guest Ticket Contract and it says, The terms herein shall be binding upon payment of the cruise fare by the guest and guest accepts and agrees to terms upon presenting this contract to the carrier for boarding even if no payment of the cruise fare has been paid. Huh? lol It's binding upon payment but no payment has to be made. Sounds like the kind of arguement my 6 year old makes when he's trying to convince me the 3 year old did it. :p

:D:D:D Now THAT's funny!!!

And thank you for the compliment. More than anything I was trying to help ease the anxiety of the poster I was quoting, because heaven knows nobody needs unnecessary stress! :eek:

I am pretty sure it really doesn't matter what the pcc said verbally or what policy is on NCL's website. What matters is what policy the client was asked to sign. That is the one that is in effect unless they sent a revision and were asked to sign again.

As I've already stated, when you complete your on line registration you "sign" an agreement to be bound by the terms and conditions of the contract, and you have an opportunity to read it and print it if you wish. The correct cancellation provisions effective 1/1/11 were published and available to anyone who wished to read them on NCL's site at the time the booking was made in May, 2011. There was no revision to the cancellation policy after the booking. The PCC gave out bad information, and is responsible for causing the confusion.

Thank You WaldosPepper and Admin

I am a Platinum NCL cruiser for the last few years, even prior to the new points system. I've just never booked a suite and will just be more observant of all the details.

I've clicked and skimmed through the Contract on the MyNCL section, but never do this until after I make my final payment. Many times, I don't do any of the online stuff until a week or so prior to boarding. Now knowing this info, I guess I should read it way prior to final payment and actually pay attention, in case I ever decide to book a higher level Suite, or really just to protect myself with all the proper and most up to date NCL information.

Thanks again

I've noticed the statements that they can only take your deposit. They would have to try to get the money from you in court which if there is a judgement against you can get on your credit score. I hope you get a answer from them that is satisfactory.

Cruise canceled. :( No fees assessed. Now to find a replacement cruise. I really don't like not having something booked at any given time.

Thanks for all the feedback and information!

your cruise contract controls what you owe--and initially, that was the "cancel period" disclosure you signed/agreed to when you sent in your deposit. It does not matter what NCL put on the website--you are not required to double check their website 1st, surf the web, etc. Sounds like the legal dept forgot to update the contracts after 1/1/11--and have now done so. Glad it worked out for you, as it should have.

Cruise canceled. :( No fees assessed. Now to find a replacement cruise. I really don't like not having something booked at any given time.

While it is never good news to cancel a cruise, it is great news that you were not charged any fees! Thanks for the update and hurry up and book another cruise! :)

your cruise contract controls what you owe--and initially, that was the "cancel period" disclosure you signed/agreed to when you sent in your deposit. It does not matter what NCL put on the website--you are not required to double check their website 1st, surf the web, etc. Sounds like the legal dept forgot to update the contracts after 1/1/11--and have now done so. Glad it worked out for you, as it should have.
I believe you're right. Something was dropped because having read everything posted here and what I found on their site, we should have owed the fee. But there were other things dropped as well. Like us not paying the suite deposit and only using the FCC. Everyone knows that's wrong. Well, I didn't but I do now! I think that if we had paid the deposit as we should have, they'd have tried to keep the money. But since all we had on the room was $250 in FCC they were stuck and we were the lucky beneficiaries of a mistake somewhere along the way which I'm so grateful for.

While it is never good news to cancel a cruise, it is great news that you were not charged any fees! Thanks for the update and hurry up and book another cruise! :)
I'm on it to find another cruise!

• 1 year later...

What is the process of cancelling the cruise? I have a cruise that I need cancelled due to various reasons and I cannot seem to get a straight answer on the process. I've tried calling and they tell me to ask my PCC ...and it's a series of phone tag.

Archived