All Things TEA TIME

Almost Packed

On the Triumph in 2011 Tea Time was held in the aft dining room. My husband and I both enjoyed it very much. One of the desserts was a demitasse cup filled with a cold chocolate creme. The waiter told me it was the same recipe used to make the chocolate melting cake just chilled rather than baked. It's only about two bites but delightfully rich and worth it!

First off let me say that I love tea time on the ship! I think it is a nice afternoon break on sea days and the little snacks which are offered are often very good.

Generally, I think that one would only add milk to the black teas--English Breakfast, Earl Grey, etc. It's a more "British" way of drinking tea. A true tea drinker will brew their tea in a separate pot... and then pour it over their milk (& sugar). The argument is that pouring the milk into the hot tea somehow scalds the milk.

I just wanted to add a historical note about this. I have heard it said that earlier china (18th century-ish) was extremely thin and fragile. Pouring very hot water into the tea cup could cause it to shatter due to the extreme temperature change. The milk which was cooler would cool the water just enough to prevent this from happening.

Today a more popular practice is to pour the tea into the cup first so that you can gauge the strength of the tea before you add any milk or cream. Of course this assumes that you are not using a tea bag and controlling the strength of the tea yourself, which is the practice on the ship.

Just by way of explanation I used to do Revolutionary War Reenacting so tea and tea service was the topic of more than one discussion in an effort to achieve historical accuracy. So that probably makes me sound like even more of a dork but oh well.

The important thing is that you go and enjoy yourself, no matter how you take your tea :D

I wish I liked tea. This sounds amazing, and relaxing.

I don't like tea either, but I always go to afternoon tea and pick a teabag and pour myself a cup. I just pretend to drink it. I do this because I especially love some of the little pastries at teatime. Way better than the desserts in the buffet. Go try it out next time. Just fake being a tea drinker.

Tea Time is one of my favorite things to do on the ship. My complaint is when there are so many other activities scheduled at the same time. I went once on the Elation and they closed early due to low attendance - well considering there was other like 3 other activities going on at the same time - I wonder why - SO I was a little peeved as I left the show I was at early to go to tea.

But it is always one of my highlights.

Generally, I think that one would only add milk to the black teas--English Breakfast, Earl Grey, etc. It's a more "British" way of drinking tea. A true tea drinker will brew their tea in a separate pot... and then pour it over their milk (& sugar). The argument is that pouring the milk into the hot tea somehow scalds the milk.

Not about tea time as I've never been, but this reminds me of a story about asking for milk with my tea in the MDR. A few cruises back, during dessert, I asked for milk with my tea and the server and my family members that I was travelling with thought it was the oddest thing that I wanted milk with my tea lol. I'm Canadian and they're Southern Americans so I was met with looks of shock! Even the server started asking questions about how it tastes with milk lol. Throughout the rest of the week, if I asked for tea, the server knew to bring milk with it without me having to ask :) And yes, its usually the black teas you add with milk (orange pekoe is my fav to have with milk).

I went to the Tea Time on the Spirit last year. My husband didn't want to go so I went by myself. It was rather crowded, a nice man asked if he could sit with me, we had a pleasant conversation. The food was great, but I was being polite and didn't take much, and they never made it back around again. I was concerned about the dress, but it was very casual, just whatever people had on for a sea day.

I like tea time on the Carnival cruises to the Mexican Riviera when the sea days tend to be chilly. Going inside to warm up with hot tea and those great finger sandwiches and desserts is a nice lift until it's time for dinner. :)

Edited by sanmarcosman

I always try to go to tea time (sometime in lieu of lunch - we have always late dining time). Usually they sit you with many people and sometimes you get lucky and have great conversations.

My 14 year old son went with me last time (he loves tea) and he thought it was great. Initially I told him that I will bribe him $5 to go with me (because previously on this ship they put everyone at a different table and did not want to sit alone). However, after the tea, he said I don't have to pay him and he will go with me again.

By the way, as much as I comment about cutbacks and such on Carnival, I have to give Carnivals kudos for keeping tea time (I know X and some ships RCI got rid of tea time).

Edited by DrLookGood

This is the first I've heard of tea time! Would like to try it on our curise in September. Question: What is the dress code for tea time? Thank you :)

I have only been on 2 cruises and love Tea time. Dress is casual. No one was dressed up. Wish I had a crusie planned to dream about!! Maybe soon...

I was so tickled to hear there is afternoon tea.:) I truly enjoy the slow pace and "special" fare of tea time. While I love tea with the sweets I also enjoy a glass of wine with the savory offerings. Will I need to bring a glass with me or can I order when I arrive. :confused:

Tea time is often held in a lounge where a nearby bar is available for you to order a glass of wine and take to your table. On ships where the tea will be served in the dining room I suggest you bring a glass of wine with you.

Tea time is often held in a lounge where a nearby bar is available for you to order a glass of wine and take to your table. On ships where the tea will be served in the dining room I suggest you bring a glass of wine with you.

Thank you!:)

First off let me say that I love tea time on the ship! I think it is a nice afternoon break on sea days and the little snacks which are offered are often very good.

I just wanted to add a historical note about this. I have heard it said that earlier china (18th century-ish) was extremely thin and fragile. Pouring very hot water into the tea cup could cause it to shatter due to the extreme temperature change. The milk which was cooler would cool the water just enough to prevent this from happening.

Today a more popular practice is to pour the tea into the cup first so that you can gauge the strength of the tea before you add any milk or cream. Of course this assumes that you are not using a tea bag and controlling the strength of the tea yourself, which is the practice on the ship.

Just by way of explanation I used to do Revolutionary War Reenacting so tea and tea service was the topic of more than one discussion in an effort to achieve historical accuracy. So that probably makes me sound like even more of a dork but oh well.

The important thing is that you go and enjoy yourself, no matter how you take your tea :D

Thanks for the interesting historical details... :)

Does anyone know where it is held on the Magic?

On the Magic in Europe it was held in the Upper Dining Room.

I have been drinking my tea with milk and sugar since I was a little girl. Just figured my way was not the proper way. Nice to know that I'm at least on the right track.;)

That is the English way.

Not about tea time as I've never been, but this reminds me of a story about asking for milk with my tea in the MDR. A few cruises back, during dessert, I asked for milk with my tea and the server and my family members that I was travelling with thought it was the oddest thing that I wanted milk with my tea lol. I'm Canadian and they're Southern Americans so I was met with looks of shock! Even the server started asking questions about how it tastes with milk lol. Throughout the rest of the week, if I asked for tea, the server knew to bring milk with it without me having to ask :) And yes, its usually the black teas you add with milk (orange pekoe is my fav to have with milk).

On my last cruise on the Magic we had such a problem getting the milk for tea in the MDR at breakfast. If we asked for milk we received a glass of milk. Then when we asked for a jug we received hot milk. We had to ask for a jug of cold milk each time. I love flying British Airways they serve tea with milk without comments. Actually Air Canada also offers milk and not cream.

We were on the Miracle about 3 years ago, before Tea Time became popular.

It was in a piano lounge, with soft music...and carts came around with the pastries. Well...maybe it was getting popular, because it was hard to find a seat. My husband and I both enjoyed it.

Then we were on the Glory last Sept. Tea Time was held in the dining room...and we were seated at a large table. There were rolling carts, but hard to get thru. It wasn't as relaxing, as we had to listen to a bunch of women "yap". However, the chocolate cake was good. It really wasn't the same atmosphere.

Thanks everyone for commenting! I knew there would be several of comments. :)

I know my oldest son loves hot tea-his grandma gave him hot tea and honey one day when he was younger and had a sore throat...so now he loves it.

Now, can someone please explain to me, and others who want to know but are afraid to ask...

What is the proper way to make your tea? Apparently removing your tea bag and placing it on the saucer is a no no.

So please, teach us how to do tea time properly. What goes good with what and how much etc. Yes, i assume the amount of honey or sugar you add would be to taste, but give us some guidelines for beginners, step by step if you could please.

Thanks everyone. This southern girl is gonna have hot tea time on her next cruise! :D

Thanks everyone for commenting! I knew there would be several of comments. :)

I know my oldest son loves hot tea-his grandma gave him hot tea and honey one day when he was younger and had a sore throat...so now he loves it.

Now, can someone please explain to me, and others who want to know but are afraid to ask...

What is the proper way to make your tea? Apparently removing your tea bag and placing it on the saucer is a no no.

So please, teach us how to do tea time properly. What goes good with what and how much etc. Yes, i assume the amount of honey or sugar you add would be to taste, but give us some guidelines for beginners, step by step if you could please.

Thanks everyone. This southern girl is gonna have hot tea time on her next cruise! :D

Enjoy your tea experience. I was born in England so will tell you the English way.

Put the tea bag in the teapot. Should be boiling water. Tea bags to me are fine although some people like tea leaves which you won't get on the ship.

Pour into cup. Leave tea bag in pot and add more hot water if you want a second or third cup.

Milk, sugar, honey or lemon add to taste. Not cream. It used to be the milk added first into the cup.

Enjoy!

Enjoy your tea experience. I was born in England so will tell you the English way.

Put the tea bag in the teapot. Should be boiling water. Tea bags to me are fine although some people like tea leaves which you won't get on the ship.

Pour into cup. Leave tea bag in pot and add more hot water if you want a second or third cup.

Milk, sugar, honey or lemon add to taste. Not cream. It used to be the milk added first into the cup.

Enjoy!

Are these things placed on the table? do you request them from the cart? are they individual servings or am I spooning them out of a sugar bowl on the table? Can i request skim/fat free milk?

Thank you

Edited by Almost Packed

Thank You everyone for the great info and the Historic reasons by Lacaena( I believe the name was)! That makes perfect sense re. fragil china!! I got some Lamoge pieces from my mother and are very delicate!

I have wanted to attend Tea Time, but my daughter's a sun lizard ;) , but we are definately doing it this year and will try all 4 ships now that you all have educated me on what a pleasure it is :) I love Classical Music, and Modern Jazz(along with most other)music. Maybe our 12yr old DGS will accompany us! He's a Techie, but loves Classical and M. Jazz also! Subjected him to it in utero(if that's the term) and infantsy and on! lol

I'm planning to get more out of my cruises this time, heck I live in Fl no loss for sun bathing!!

Are these things placed on the table? do you request them from the cart? are they individual servings or am I spooning them out of a sugar bowl on the table? Can i request skim/fat free milk?

Thank you

There's a little container of sugar packets on the table to use, and you can request milk, just not 100% sure if skim/fat free is offered in Tea Time, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Jbird81

Thank You Almost Packed for starting a Tea Time thread!!!!!;)

It was has been most informative and I feel I can breeze in more informed, less anxiety on protocol and just savor the time:) I can't wait, will try the first one in 20 days short trip Western to sneak away before Spring Break and school release;) My DD and DGS and I cruise together a lot, but DH gets to come in Aug. lol We're bad! :D (Really he has trouble getting away).

Well off to the jacuzzi, (I float on the warm water, on a chaise chair and sun bathe(pale even for Fl. lol) listen on my lap top and then bak in and hit that bicycle and weights to get that Holidays bulge off maybe by sailing time! lol:D (while I'm reading about finger food and desserts :D)