4 days in Denali...too much?

JJPacer

We're planning 4 days in Denali. It seems others plan 1 or 2 days.

I know it's long hours of bus riding if we did Wonder Lake, Toklat, and Eislen....one bus ride on each day. Are we taking on too much? Too much repetition? Weather permitting, we were going to get off the bus at these locations and hike, then take a return bus.

We're also doing a whitewater rafting tour and we want to see the dog demo.

Please let me know if you think this is too much, particularly 3 shuttle bus rides, before we make our bus reservations. Thanks.

It is one road, with Toklat at mile 53, Eielson at mile 66 and Wonder Lake at mile 85. There is no need to do three trips in. It GREATLY depends on your interest?? IF you truely want time hiking over a couple days, then 3 days in is great. BUT, are you sacrificing other areas of Alaska to spend the 4 in Denali Park which also may be of interest to you?? Do you have plenty of time in your vacation for other areas? Seward, Homer, Fairbanks, Valdez. Fly in Katmai etc etc etc etc??

Determine- if all that time is YOUR interest. Then make your plans based on that- only.

People who enjoy hiking seem to like to go into the park multiple times. As BQ mentioned above, it is all about your interests. We can't determine what is best for you and your interests. I have to say, for me, three trips in on one trip would have been a bit much. However, you may find it a most enjoyable way to explore the wildernes of Alaska. For one thing, the road is bumpy and someone like my DH found it a long, long day to be bouncing around when you have a bad back. I did fine with the ride, but not everyone does. I don't think I could have ever gotten my DH to go back on the shuttle a second day if we had purchased the tickets ahead of time. Taking multiple trips in, will increase your chances of seeing more wildlife. Just depends on what you want. The rangers have Discovery Hikes planned that you might want to look into for some variety.

I also wonder how much time you have in Alaska and whether you will be missing out on something else by spending so much time in Denali. We spent three nights there, arriving in the very late afternoon on day one, and leaving in the mid morning on day four. For me it was just the right amount of time to explore the area. However, if I was a serious hiker, I would have wanted more time.

Good luck. I hope you figure out what will work best for you.

I could easily do 3 days in a row and I'm not a hiker. But if you hike, it would be especially easy to do 3, ie if you go to Eielson it's only 4 hrs, then you spend several hours walking or hiking, then ride the bus back. But as others have said ... depends on your interests.

If you call the reservation site you can book 3 days for the price of 2. That would eliminate the loss of $$ should you decide to cancel the 3rd day. Book to WL for 3 days since the cost between EVC and WL is minimal.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-fees.htm

I also could easily do the shuttle bus three days in a row, but would go to Eielson.

I once talked to a pair of tourists who had spent ten days at that campground in Healy. This couple alternated days going into the park on the shuttles with activities either at the park entrance or outside the park.

If you decide that you really want to spend that much time in the park you might consider camping at Teklanika. It’s located at mile 29 of the park road. It would require an RV rental. Can also tent camp which can be difficult for folks from out of state since you’d need a tent, sleeping bags, etc. According to the park service, the majority of the wildlife sightings are from mile 30 on. One of the advantages of staying here is that it shaves about 2 hours off of the roundtrip bus ride into the park.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/campground-tek.htm

I'd encourage you to first do some more homework regarding hiking in Denali NP. There are VERY few established and maintained hiking trails. Instead, you end up following Dall sheep trails on the hillside, or walking across the tundra on your own. Northern tundra is often very bumpy, with grass hassocks (raised clumps about the size of a large pumpkin), or soggy. You can easily find yourself blazing a trail through brush taller than you are.

Also, while you can reserve a seat on a bus heading into the park, for the return trip, they'll fit you in if they have open space on the bus. In other words, you may have to wait a while before being able to head back to your hotel/RV.

If hiking is really your passion, I'd suggest checking out Denali STATE Park (south of the national park), the Denali Highway (running between Cantwell and Paxson), Chugach State Park (east of Eagle River and Anchorage, and north of Girdwood), or Chugach National Forest (on the Kenai Peninsula). You'll need to rent a car or RV to reach these areas, but they have mapped and maintained hiking trails.

There are many well marked and maintained trails at the park entrance but many of the trails in the park are not. There is literature on where to hike in the park and what areas to avoid. It’s actually a neat experience to head out when there’s no trail. You would want to avoid the areas with an excessive amount of muskeg. If you don’t mind some elevation gain, try the Mt Healy Overlook Trail at the park entrance.

One day on the bus was enough for me but we also didn't have the greatest weather (although we saw the Big 5)! We were in Denali 2.5 days and did the TWT, Jeff King kennels, WW rafting, and ATV'ing. We thought our timing worked out just fine and we were able to see other parts of Alaska as well.

As everyone else mentioned it's a personal decision depending on your interestes. Enjoy! :)

I also could easily do the shuttle bus three days in a row, but would go to Eielson.

I once talked to a pair of tourists who had spent ten days at that campground in Healy. This couple alternated days going into the park on the shuttles with activities either at the park entrance or outside the park.

If someone is going to tent camp, I like Chilkoot's advice below:

If you decide that you really want to spend that much time in the park you might consider camping at Teklanika. It’s located at mile 29 of the park road. It would require an RV rental. Can also tent camp which can be difficult for folks from out of state since you’d need a tent, sleeping bags, etc. According to the park service, the majority of the wildlife sightings are from mile 30 on. One of the advantages of staying here is that it shaves about 2 hours off of the roundtrip bus ride into the park.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/campground-tek.htm

Bringing camping gear from out-of-state is not hard at all. Costs an extra piece of checked luggage, but many people do it.

Also, another advantage of staying at Tek or another campground past mile 15 is that you can get the "tek pass" or "camper bus" ticket and pay basically for one round trip, yet stay inside the park and ride the shuttles for as many days as you want.

I'd encourage you to first do some more homework regarding hiking in Denali NP. There are VERY few established and maintained hiking trails. Instead, you end up following Dall sheep trails on the hillside, or walking across the tundra on your own. Northern tundra is often very bumpy, with grass hassocks (raised clumps about the size of a large pumpkin), or soggy. You can easily find yourself blazing a trail through brush taller than you are.

True if you don't do your homework as you suggested, or if you make rookie mistakes and don't do a bit of advance planning and/or talk with bus drivers or rangers. Hiking on the tundra is actually not as hard as some make it appear. The brush taller than you are is usually when one is hiking in the willows. Tundra doesn't grow that high!

Also, while you can reserve a seat on a bus heading into the park, for the return trip, they'll fit you in if they have open space on the bus. In other words, you may have to wait a while before being able to head back to your hotel/RV.

If someone is in a large group, it can be an issue. It can also be an issue if there has been a bus breakdown. But after spending a lot of time in the park, I have never had to wait for more than a second bus, and even that is relatively rare. I usually am alone or with up to 2 friends at a time.

If you are in a larger group, the best thing to do is to hike near Eielson. That way you have a bus dispatcher at your disposal to get you onto a bus all together for your return to the entrance.

If hiking is really your passion, I'd suggest checking out Denali STATE Park (south of the national park), the Denali Highway (running between Cantwell and Paxson), Chugach State Park (east of Eagle River and Anchorage, and north of Girdwood), or Chugach National Forest (on the Kenai Peninsula). You'll need to rent a car or RV to reach these areas, but they have mapped and maintained hiking trails.

But the attraction for most people is the national park, the trail-less hiking and the wildlife (and to some extent the scenery with the Mountain relatively close), that are not usually seen as abundantly in the areas you mentioned.

As has been said, it depends on your interests. My last time in Denali NP I was in the park for 8 consecutive days and didn't grow tired of it one bit. In any case, I would book all your trips to Wonder Lake and decide on the spot that day if you will go that far or not.

I have never waited for more than 2 buses to get a ride. There is no risk of being left on the road at the end of the day as they run 'draggin wagons' to make sure everyone who needs a ride can get one.

I have waited with people who were in a state of near panic as they weren't sure how to 'catch' a bus. Some folks are just not happy in the wilderness even when standing on the Park Road.

The Alpenglow is the Park's publication. Starting at pg 13, there is info on hiking; established trails, maps, and discovery hikes with rangers.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/upload/Alpenglow-VG2011_FINALfinal_c.pdf

A Special Thanks to Mapleleaves for posting such a wonderful resource. It is very helpful. I will read what it has to say about hiking. We just wanted to walk around a bit. It hardly makes sense to arrive at a spot, use the rest room, get back on the bus and go back to your hotel! We have decided to do the 3 for 2 and see how we feel on the day. That's a good compromise.

Thanks again everyone! :rolleyes:

Archived