8AM Docking--11AM flight Are we ok?

goinsoon

It will be very close. On are Nov cruise are flight got changed from 1:30pm departing to 11:50am. Ship arrived at San Pedro at 8:00am no problem. All non USA citizens had to report to customs two people didnt show up no one could get of the ship until every one was accounted for. If every thing goes ok it will be aleast one hour from when u dock until they start calling zone numbers. In are case they didnt start calling numbers until 10:15 am. To make a long story short by the time we got off the ship and took shuttle to LAX we got there at 11:35am. The staff at the airport was great in helping us get through customs and getting us on the plane at 11:45am. The only downside of are cruise was the lack of support from the Carnival staff. On the flip side the passengers were great in helping us get through the long lines.

In my past seven cruises, I have to say I don't think I ever got off the ship quickly enough to make that kind of flight time. I wouldn't risk it. But I guess it is possible if everything falls into place.

Sailing out of Tampa on the Legend. We have never sailed Carnival or out of Tampa. Looks like this should be no problem but really would appreciate your input. Thanks!

We sailed the Inspiration out of Tampa a couple of years ago. This may be a tight connection for you. You WILL need to do self assist debarkation vice turning your luggage over to Carnival the night before and you need to be ready to leave the ship as soon as the all clear is given. You will also need to get your own taxi vice using Carnival transfers. The airport is about 25 minutes from the piers.

I have been on the OP's cruise and I was at the gate by 9:30. Did self assist. If you have already booked it, you will probably be fine but if you haven't booked yet, I would go with a later flight just to be safe.

Yeah, I agree with the others, that's cutting it close. Between the debarkation, drive, security, checking luggage etc, you may be incredibly close. If you could fly out a bit later in the afternoon (say, after 12:30/1pm?) I think you'd be fine with making it.

This is WAAAY too tight because:

there is no guarntee you will dock at 8 am-usually a bit earlier BUT.......

immigration can take HOURS to clear a ship

then you have to go thru customs even if you self debark

then there is the trip to airport-no trffic issues????

time to do security at airport????

Change the flight to after 1 pm. It is going to cost but prob cheaper than missing a flight.

I wouldn't do it. It says the ship docks at 8am but you have to take under consideration that the Legend will need be able to get under the Skyway Bridge under "no-fog" conditions and in a timely manner with the assistance of the pilot boat. Sometimes the boats have to line-up and take turns going under the bridge so this in itself could cause a delay.

Secondly, even if you are doing the Self-assist, you still need to wait for any non-US passengers to debark first. On our last cruise, we were self assist and waited over 45 minutes for 3 non-US passengers to show up to their assigned meeting place. We could not debark until then.

We have cruised from Tampa twice. The first time we did not get to the airport until around 10:45 am however the second time we were there by 9:30 am. It is just the luck of the draw. Carnival suggests no flights earlier than 11:30 am. We had one at 11:35 am and were stressed and sweating it the whole time.

This is just my opinion and you will get many, but I would book a later flight or at least call the airline and inquire what type of policy they have for missed flights.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

:):)

Heres one more factor you must consider trying to catch an early flight. If the weather conditions are right (or wrong, which ever way you look at it). When Tampa bay is fogged in the cruise ships cant pass under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. Ships have been delayed up to 2 hours waiting out in the Atlantic

Another consideration for you. Even if EVERYTHING works perfectly for you to get to your flight what about something to eat. They don't serve you on the plane anymore. For me, a diabetic, that could be a disaster! I would seriously consider a later flight...remember you have just come off of an eating orgy (called a cruise) and you WILL be hungry!!!

Just got off the Paradise in Tampa this week, we were number 20 and were off at 9:25am. In 2010 on the legend, we were off a little earlier. Can you make it, probably. Can stuff happen to make you late, yep. Check the airline and ask what the penalties are and when the next flight would be. Southwest has no change fees. You will also be one of the first off if you let guest services know you have an early flight. As a frequent flier out of Tampa, this is an easy airport to navigate and get through security. Is it worth the risk??? That's your call. Just make sure you don't stress out about it on your cruise! Have fun.

Its possible, but cutting it close, IMHO. If everything goes JUST RIGHT, fine, but ***** happens: Ship is late . . . occasionally the crew is required to go through customs . . . airport security jammed up. I'd opt for 1:00pm or later. ;)

Just because the ship is supposed to dock at 8 doesn't mean it will. It also doesn't mean that you disembark at 8 am. You still have to get through customs once you do. I don't do self debarkation and I'm usually off the ship by 10.

We will change our flight! Delta has changed this flight no less than 4 times in 6 months we have had it booked. Went from a 1PM departure non stop to a 11AM departure with 3 hour layover in Atlanta! Not airline bashing but it has gotten to be a joke! I will call Delta and tell them the LAST change is unacceptable and move us to a later flight!

As I have said "CCers are the best"

Heres one more factor you must consider trying to catch an early flight. If the weather conditions are right (or wrong, which ever way you look at it). When Tampa bay is fogged in the cruise ships cant pass under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. Ships have been delayed up to 2 hours waiting out in the Atlantic

Ummmm....that body of water is the Gulf of Mexico.

Sailing out of Tampa on the Legend. We have never sailed Carnival or out of Tampa. Looks like this should be no problem but really would appreciate your input. Thanks!

You can never know what might happen.

We were in our last port of call for a cruise and supposed to head out about 11:00pm to return to Galveston the following morning for disembarkation.

Weather conditions (wind) prevented us from leaving. All those poor souls who had early flights were screwed. (Wind was strong enough it was feared we would run aground while moving through the channel).

You never know what can go wrong...

Archived