Crown Princess Review With Pictures 1/14-1/21 Long and Posted in Installments

Whimsy

ARUBA

I had my group gather in my cabin as I had arranged a tour with Sonny Binns and we needed to make sure we were altogether and ready to go. We arrived in the terminal before Sonny but soon he appeared with a sign bearing my name. He also had 7 other people joining us from another group but sadly they stood him up. We all thought it was very rude for someone to book him and not show plus we had to wait while he waited in case they were late. He had to obtain a larger vehicle for the number he was expecting. It worked out well for us as it gave us more room and we could stay as little or as long as we wanted at a stop but Sonny is such a nice guy and great tour guide so we felt bad for him that he was shorted that day. Please, when booking private tours keep in mind that this is how these people earn their living. Be courteous and email to cancel if things change. It helps keep the prices down for all of us. OK, Mama Whimsy lecture over.

CrownPrincess50thBirthdayCruise578.jpg

I HIGHLY recommend Sonny’s tour. I have toured Aruba in the past but Sonny’s tour was much better. He gave a lot of info on the island. I won’t go into a lot of detail but we saw the highlights of the island, the Alto Vista Church,

CrownPrincess50thBirthdayCruise597.jpg

Rock Formations,

CrownPrincess50thBirthdayCruise498.jpg

Baby Bridge and the Lighthouse.

CrownPrincess50thBirthdayCruise617.jpg

He gave info non stop as we drove from site to site. Even our 26 year old daughter enjoyed the tour. We made a stop at a grocery store and I ran in for 2 6 packs of the local beer.

CrownPrincess50thBirthdayCruise478.jpg

Everyone in the group was pleased with Sonny, his clean coach and the wonderful information he shared of his island. He dropped those of us that wanted beach time at Eagle Beach after the tour and took the others back to the pier. The water was finally tolerable (by my standards). We enjoyed our afternoon at the beach and took a bus back to the port for a little shopping before we sailed.

CrownPrincess50thBirthdayCruise656.jpg

Dinner this evening was the Chef’s Dinner. Many loved the goat cheese soufflé. I had the scallops, they were excellent. The entertainment tonight was the comedian Miguel Washington. Everyone agreed he put on a good show. This was the night the elderly gentleman stood up in the middle of the show and started his own tirade about his seating and some other passenger.

The Captain announced the seas would be calmer for our journey home and to everyone’s delight they were the rest of the trip.

very entertaining review...thank you!

We are travelling on the Crown on March 17. I understand that formal nights are MOn and thursday and that lobster tails are on thursday. do you remember which night offered king crab legs? we want to book the Crown Grill but don't want to conflict with either lobster or crab nights!

thanks!

very entertaining review...thank you!

We are travelling on the Crown on March 17. I understand that formal nights are MOn and thursday and that lobster tails are on thursday. do you remember which night offered king crab legs? we want to book the Crown Grill but don't want to conflict with either lobster or crab nights!

thanks!

Lobster tails and prawns are on Thursday night. Sadly there was no crab leg night. I remember that from my first few cruises. Sure miss those crab legs!

[quote name='Whimsy']Lobster tails and prawns are on Thursday night. Sadly there was no crab leg night. I remember that from my first few cruises. Sure miss those crab legs.
Hi Whimsey!
DH and I sailed with you and Jules on Emerald in Oct 2008. So glad you had a wonderful 50th Birthday with such memories to last a lifetime! Also really enjoying reading your review.
We sailed on Crown last March for Richie's birthday for a Western Caribbean itinerary. We are leaving on March 17, 2012 on Emerald for my "milestone" birthday. Hope the waters are warmer by then for the beach days.
Take care,Marie. Again, belated Happy Birthday and wishing you a year of health and happiness.
Patty and Richie

Hey Patty! Happy early birthday! You are going to LOVE the Crown. It's a great ship. Wish we could cruise together again. We are going to do a 10 night Panama Canal around 2014 if you and Ritchie have any interest. Let me know. We have a great group.

[quote name='Whimsy']Hey Patty! Happy early birthday! You are going to LOVE the Crown. It's a great ship. Wish we could cruise together again. We are going to do a 10 night Panama Canal around 2014 if you and Ritchie have any interest. Let me know. We have a great group.[/quote]
I will keep that in mind, Marie. The Crown was beautiful - we were on that ship last March. Capt. Nick Nash was wonderful, but I see he is leaving the Crown? Maybe he is going home for a vacation.
We will be on Emerald this March for the 10 day Eastern Caribbean. We did this itinerary 2 years ago on Ruby and enjoyed it very much. A change is no Princess Cays - we are going to Grand Turk that day instead. Ever been there? Looks like we may hang out at Margaritaville.
Patty

I will keep that in mind' date=' Marie. The Crown was beautiful - we were on that ship last March. Capt. Nick Nash was wonderful, but I see he is leaving the Crown? Maybe he is going home for a vacation.

We will be on Emerald this March for the 10 day Eastern Caribbean. We did this itinerary 2 years ago on Ruby and enjoyed it very much. A change is no Princess Cays - we are going to Grand Turk that day instead. Ever been there? Looks like we may hang out at Margaritaville.

Patty[/quote']

Patty,

If you like to snorkel I recommend finding a few other couples on your roll call and booking Blue Water Divers in Grand Turk. This has been the best snorkel trip I have done. We have been to Grand Turk twice. Did Margaritaville both times and it's fun. There is a place down the beach called Jake's Shack or something like that I have heard is cheaper but we always have ended up at Margaritaville. Personally I like Grand Turk better than Princess Cays.

Sea Days and Disembarkation

The next 2 days were sea days and we all participated in the many different activities on board. DD and I decided Thursday we would make it a pool day and we were lucky to snag a couple of loungers close to the Neptune pool. DH joined us a bit later after he had a late breakfast/early lunch so we left him to relax and DD and I had lunch in the dining room. After lunch she participated in Battle of the Sexes Bar Wars. She had a good time despite her team not winning.

089.jpg

Tonight was formal night and we all had a wonderful meal in the dining room. After dinner DD and I caught the end of the Not So Newly Wed Game and then hung around to listen to Karaoke. DD and I always would sing a song together as she was growing up so after a few glasses of liquid courage we got up and sang. Our apologies to anyone’s ears we offended that evening.

The next day was our final day and I was very sad to see our cruise coming to end but so grateful for the wonderful time we all had together. One of my best friends on the cruise was at the beach with me in Aruba. She and I have been friends my whole life, growing up next door to each other. She remembers me when I was a baby. We both took a moment to soak it all in and remarked that this wasn’t bad for a couple of small town coal miner’s daughters. I never dreamed I would be so lucky in my life, to have such wonderful friends, to travel to so many wonderful places, let alone to put both together for one fantastic week. I am a lucky woman and not a day goes by that I don’t thank God for all he has given to me. I was so glad to have this week with my DD on board. As she is getting older and moving on with her life it’s harder to take a vacation together.

Many of us had the pub lunch this final day. DD and I shared some fish, prawns and chips.

113.jpg

112.jpg

We time it just right so as not to have a wait but by the time I left there was a line of people waiting to be seated. First time I have done this and it was very good. We packed, tried to win the jackpot in bingo and then gathered for the last night’s dinner in Sabatini’s. We were seated amongst 3 tables and everything was outstanding. I was pleasantly surprised that I liked the new menu in Sabatini’s. We liked the old Sabatini’s menu but there was so many good things on the new one and we were very pleased. The meal drew to an end with one last birthday surprise, another cake. This time it was the small cake Princess gives for special occasions. I don’t know who arranged that one but it was fitting at to have one more happy birthday at the end of the wonderful week.

We played Jeopardized trivia tonight in Club Fusion and then a few left early to catch the comedian that hadn’t seen him yet. We stayed and watched the final for Princess Pop Star. All the singers were very good and it was hard to pick the best one. Back to the room for our last night of being rocked to sleep.

We pulled into Fort Lauderdale before the sun came up. We got on the balcony to see the other ships. One of these days I am going to learn how to take good photos in the dark. I’ll put that on my list of things to learn.

We had a 9:20 disembarkation time so we had breakfast in the dining room and then waited at the Wheelhouse Bar to be called. It was easy to find our luggage as I decorated it in bright orange duct tape. We spotted it right away. Our flight was for 12:20 but when we got thru security we found our flight was delayed due to winter area around the country. We were changed to 2 PM and was home in time for dinner….that we ordered out!

To sum it all up….

The Crown was a wonderful ship, is very well maintained and has an excellent staff. I think the food was some of the best I have had on our Princess cruises. I was very happy to see the pillow top on the mattress and had 7 great nights of restful sleep. I know the mattresses are a hot topic so it’s nice that Princess has listened and are making them more comfortable.

I was surprised by the lack of sales at night. Usually they have a lot of jewelry out at night, but none was out this cruise other than costume things like rings, watches, etc. I thought there was less jewelry in the shops as well. I was thinking of buying some Larimar pieces but since they didn’t have them out on display one night it slipped by us. I have a better time getting DH to buy when we just stumble upon it than when I have to take him inside the shop. I didn’t think there was as much marketing for the spa either this cruise. Less paper in our boxes everyday it seemed.

If anyone has any questions I’ll try to answer them the best I can.

We have our FCC bought and are anxiously look forward to booking another cruise very soon. Everyone on our sailing was pleased as far as I know and no one had any problems with anything on the ship. We look forward to adding even more to our group for our Panama Canal adventure.

CrownPrincess50thBirthdayCruise393.jpg

Thanks so much for the awesome review!!! We sail this Saturday so it's always exciting to read great reviews when you are down to the single digits!!

Do you recall what the themed meals were in the MDR on Tuesday & Friday? Trying to decide which night to reserve Sabitini's. We plan to do The Crown Grill on Wednesday as that will be our 15th Anniversary. Glad to see you enjoyed Sabitini's. There have been some not so good reviews lately. WE have been on the CB and The Ruby and on CB it was just ok but on The Ruby was above and beyond good!!

Great review Whimsy and, again, it was a great pleasure meeting you & your family. We had to be in the same area of the DR (your tables HAD to be the ones where it sonded like all the fun was coming from!:p). We had Vincenzo; different waiters, but they were great too, and we had great tablemates.

Did you have to post those pics of the food though, reminding me of how good it was? Tonight I'll be eating hot dogs but thinking of your pics!

Anyways...

I had a great cruise on the Crown

Its a cruise ship of quite some reknown

Twas a fun week of cruising

Great food and great boozing!

But the highlight was having Whimsy around!

So, just wondering: are you crusing next year when you turn 36?:D

Thanks so much for the awesome review!!! We sail this Saturday so it's always exciting to read great reviews when you are down to the single digits!!

Do you recall what the themed meals were in the MDR on Tuesday & Friday? Trying to decide which night to reserve Sabitini's. We plan to do The Crown Grill on Wednesday as that will be our 15th Anniversary. Glad to see you enjoyed Sabitini's. There have been some not so good reviews lately. WE have been on the CB and The Ruby and on CB it was just ok but on The Ruby was above and beyond good!!

If you are doing the Southern Caribbean route Tuesday will be Caribbean night menu and Friday will be Landfall menu.

Great review Whimsy and, again, it was a great pleasure meeting you & your family. We had to be in the same area of the DR (your tables HAD to be the ones where it sonded like all the fun was coming from!:p). We had Vincenzo; different waiters, but they were great too, and we had great tablemates.

Did you have to post those pics of the food though, reminding me of how good it was? Tonight I'll be eating hot dogs but thinking of your pics!

Anyways...

I had a great cruise on the Crown

Its a cruise ship of quite some reknown

Twas a fun week of cruising

Great food and great boozing!

But the highlight was having Whimsy around!

So, just wondering: are you crusing next year when you turn 36?:D

Kicker, I have put that birthday astern....quite a while back.

It is always a pleasure meeting wonderful people from CC on the ship. I'm still crossing my fingers that I get that book back.

Thank you for a wonderful review!

My family and I are sailing on the Crown in April, I was just wondering, do all cabins automatically get the pillow tops for the mattresses or do we have to request them in advance?

I know that our TA sent in a request for the pillow tops. Not sure if all the cabins had them. The really made the mattresses quite comfortable. They were firm yet had that soft pillowtop so my pressure points were not sore the next day.

Whimsy: maybe you should have added "with pics" to your thread title. Your food pics, in particular, would be pretty much generic to most Princess ships and if more people knew the pics were on here they'd be checking this out.

I still post on two old cruise threads, and I'm telling everyone (even if they don't cruise Princess) to look at this thread because you're doing a great job.

PS: I have no camera skills (actually used to be semi-pro photog, but the digital age has left me behind). I haven't been able to load my pics:confused: (want to post my famous balcony "throne") - have to get my kids to do it for me sometime.

Whimsy: maybe you should have added "with pics" to your thread title. Your food pics, in particular, would be pretty much generic to most Princess ships and if more people knew the pics were on here they'd be checking this out.

I still post on two old cruise threads, and I'm telling everyone (even if they don't cruise Princess) to look at this thread because you're doing a great job.

PS: I have no camera skills (actually used to be semi-pro photog, but the digital age has left me behind). I haven't been able to load my pics:confused: (want to post my famous balcony "throne") - have to get my kids to do it for me sometime.

You have to set up an acct with another website like photobucket. Put your pictures there. Then you can click the image link and paste it to here. It just comes across as letters and numbers at first but once you click submit the picture is there. It took me awhile to figure this out too!! Kim

Whimsy,

What a pleasure to read your review and see your pictures! Glad you had a terrific birthday week on the Crown!

Just one question, was it walking distance from where you docked in Curacao, to the "downtown" pretty shops? Did you have to cross the floating bridge?

Thanks so much!

Whimsy,

What a pleasure to read your review and see your pictures! Glad you had a terrific birthday week on the Crown!

Just one question, was it walking distance from where you docked in Curacao, to the "downtown" pretty shops? Did you have to cross the floating bridge?

Thanks so much!

I really don't know personally because we took a cab and went to the beach. Others in our group took Princess tours. I have read on other threads that downtown is within walking distance. Sorry I am not more help.

If you know how to email photos I would be happy to post it for you. :)

Archived