Help me decide on hotel in Port Canaveral.

maggieworkman

Right now I have the Radisson at the Port booked for one pre-cruise night in June. It cost $139 plus any taxes, etc. and is a one king bed suite. We will have a car so we can park there during our cruise (4 nights) and free shuttle.

I am thinking about booking the Holiday Inn Oceanfront for $65 per night plus taxes and fees from easyclicktravel.com. This is a standard room. In this case we would have to drive to the port and parking would cost $40. So total this cost would be $105.

This is our first cruise so I am unsure if we should park at the port for convenience or get the shuttle? Which would be more secure for our van? The Radisson is a suite and the Holiday Inn is a standard room? Won't matter much for one night. Both pools look nice (our kids are 13 and 10). What would you suggest?

Maggie

We have stayed at the Radisson..a very nice set-up. The 139.00 is a good rate for that hotel. The lowest they have for September 3 is 169.00. The lot at the Radisson, while not exactly secure, is always busy and I feel your van would be safe. The parking at the Port is secure..there is an indoor garage if you prefer. It is a relatively easy terminal to navigate. I prefer the shuttle route myself but if the parking chage does not bother you you may prefer to park at the Port. As you said..only one night. We are staying in September at the Comfort Inn Cocoa Beach for 100.00 which includes free parking and shuttle. Let me add...we have cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale as well as Port Canaveral. The Port is, by far, the most user friendly terminal. You will like it whichever choice you make.

I can’t speak for the Radisson but you couldn’t pay me to sleep again at the Holiday Inn Oceanfront, Cocoa Beach. If you book a standard room at that HI, you will not even know that you are near the ocean. No sounds, no smells of the ocean, and when you do make your way to the beach I found it to be extremely littered and this was at 7am. It’s a 60-70’s motel with car park right outside the door to the room. Roaches, worn down dirty carpet, maid had to let me into room because door was jammed—my experience in late 2003.

I booked the Radisson for our cruise in June. I booked direct with them, for the $139 and they told me the had a security guard that patroled the parking lot. This is the first time we have sailed out of Port Canaveral and we like the shuttle to the pier idea so we could all stay together.

I can’t speak for the Radisson but you couldn’t pay me to sleep again at the Holiday Inn Oceanfront, Cocoa Beach. If you book a standard room at that HI, you will not even know that you are near the ocean. No sounds, no smells of the ocean, and when you do make your way to the beach I found it to be extremely littered and this was at 7am. It’s a 60-70’s motel with car park right outside the door to the room. Roaches, worn down dirty carpet, maid had to let me into room because door was jammed—my experience in late 2003.

I thought this place underwent renovations recently. Does anyone know for sure? We don't necessarily mind if we don't get oceanview. We are spending the week after our cruise at the beach. This would just be for one night pre cruise.

Maggie

I am thinking about booking a cruise for next year out of Pt. Canaveral. Do you fly into Orlando? and then take a cab all the way to the hotel near the port?Thanks.

If you're flying into Orlando and don't have transfers booked through the cruiseline, you may want to give Mears Transportation a call. I'm pretty sure they can help since they are the largest transportation company in this area.

Mary

HI @ Cocoa Beach was just recently renovated after it suffered extensive damage from the hurricanes Fall 2004. It is ocean side but about 5 miles fromt the port. Radisson is on the inland side of A1A and about 1 mile to the port.

As far as transfers from MCO (Orlando) to Port Canaveral or a Cocoa Beach hotel, a one-way car rental for up to 4 people is probably the most economical way to go. Either Budget or Avis have drop-off facilities at Cocoa and will shuttle you to the port. Other options are Art's shuttle or other limo/shuttle companies at about $100 each way. On the return, you can purchase ship transfers on the large buses back to MCO. The bus leaves as soon as it is full. We paid $10pp last Nov. when our Shuttle did not show up. (Shuttle we booked was not Art's.)

Bon Voyage

We just sailed out of Port Canaveral last week. We drove from Orlando to Cocoa Beach and it was a piece of cake! Wished we had have stayed in Cocoa Beach instead of Orlando. We got a car from Budget for $32 (full-sized upgraded to SUV) and dropped it at the Budget location in Cocoa Beach. They then shuttled us to the port. It was very smooth and would recommend using Budget and staying in the Cocoa Beach area. We spent a couple of hours in the area before our cruise and I was impressed. There was a Holiday Inn that looked beautiful from the outside. Not sure if this is the same one but in all honesty, would stay further down from the Radisson near a beach area if it were me. I checked the Radisson several months ago and it was expensive. Many hotels are on the opposite side of the road from the beach. That is the case with the Raddison.

We stayed at the Radisson at the end of March and I thought it was a nice hotel. Very nice pool area and be sure to look for the tiki birds in the trees if you go, the kids will get a kick out of it. There is a fun park right next door that you can walk to that has putt-putt and go carts if the kids get bored.

I do remember seeing the lot where the cruise ship cars were parked. It was a designated parking lot beyond the hotel parking. It seemed pretty secure and I wouldn't have a problem leaving my car there.

We're cruising out of Pt Canaveral this fall and are also considering flying down instead of driving. A TA told me to consider flying into Melbourne instead of Orlando. Apparently it is only a short cab ride to the port.

Very much enjoyed Radisson when we stayed once before.

When sailing Pt. Canaveral, have always flown into Orlando and rented via Alamo. Keep checking web site for rates. It was less for us than transfers or shuttle.

Have fun!

Tried to book at the Radisson, but it seems they have a two-night minimum for the weekend we sail. (Not surprising since it is Labor Day weekend.) We are flying in Saturday AM, and sailing on Sunday, Sept 4th. Our current plan is to rent a car in Orlando and drop it off on Sunday morning. We'll use a shuttle back to the airport when we return.

What hotels are nearby? I can use mileage to get a free room at the Hampton Inn or Hilton Cocoa Beach, but can't figure out how far they are from the port. Can anyone provide info on those particular hotels in terms of their proximity to the port?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Just booked the Radisson at Port Canaveral. 105 US for a room for 3 adults.

They did have rooms starting at 139 with parking and buffet breakfast included for 2.

Need to rent a car. Someone said Avis is located right at the Radisson, is this true? Want to rent at Orlando airport and return to Port Canaveral and then get it for one day when we return from cruise.

Just booked the Radisson at Port Canaveral. 105 US for a room for 3 adults.

They did have rooms starting at 139 with parking and buffet breakfast included for 2.

Need to rent a car. Someone said Avis is located right at the Radisson, is this true? Want to rent at Orlando airport and return to Port Canaveral and then get it for one day when we return from cruise.

The Avis rental is no longer at the Radisson. This is a quote from Dave's Disney Cruise Line Tribute site:

"Be advised... the local Avis office is no longer located at the Radisson. This property had previously been favored by some for the convenience of dropping their rental car here and then taking the shuttle to the cruise terminal. The closest car rental office is now Budget. It is within walking distance, 0.4 miles down the road on the same side of the street. "

Maggie

Just returned from a cruise and we stayed at the Comfort Inn at Cocoa Beach. There were only 2 in our suite which was $89 per night. It could have slept 6 as there were 2 double beds and a sofa bed in the room with the sofa and tv. It also had a kitchen area with a microwave, sink, refrigerator, etc. which we did not use. It's a short walk to the ocean from here. The pool area was nice. I thought the room was pretty nice and it wasn't much of a drive to the port.

Gail

Thanks for car info. Maggie,

Guess I will call Budget because they won't take the return I put in on their site. Since I am staying at the Radisson I want the closest return in Port Canaveral.

Tried to book at the Radisson, but it seems they have a two-night minimum for the weekend we sail. (Not surprising since it is Labor Day weekend.) We are flying in Saturday AM, and sailing on Sunday, Sept 4th. Our current plan is to rent a car in Orlando and drop it off on Sunday morning. We'll use a shuttle back to the airport when we return.

What hotels are nearby? I can use mileage to get a free room at the Hampton Inn or Hilton Cocoa Beach, but can't figure out how far they are from the port. Can anyone provide info on those particular hotels in terms of their proximity to the port?

Thanks in advance for the help.

O.K. Can't sleep . . . . I'll bite: In order of closest to PORT CANAVERAL:

RADISSON

ROYAL MANSIONS 8600 Ridgewood Ave.

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS 5575 N. Atlantic Ave.

DAYS INN 5500 N. Atlantic Ave.

BEST WESTERN 5600 N. Atlantic Ave.

OCEANSIDE INN right at the CCBeach pier

---THE COCOA BEACH PIER ---

COMFORT INN 3901 N. Atlantic Ave.

COURTYARD INN 3435 N. Atlantic Ave.

HAMPTON INN 3425 N. Atlantic Ave.

DOUBLETREE 2080 N. Atlantic Ave.

HOLIDAY INN OCEAN FRONT 1300 N. Atlantic Ave.

THE HILTON 1550 N. Atlantic Ave.

Two thumbs up for THE HAMPTON . . . . especially if you have points . . . . nice pool, continental brekkie, a little path takes you to the beach and is within walking distance of the CCBeach pier. All of these hotels are an easy taxi or shuttle ride to the PORT. :) G'night!

Thanks PrairieGirlAs soon as I got your very helpful e-mail, I discovered that my points will also get me a free night at the the Holiday Inn Express, Best Western and at a new Sheraton Four Points that's scheduled to open this summer. But I think I will take your advice and go with the Hampton Inn. Even though it's not on the beach, the location seems good and it seems to be one of the few hotels with balconies. Seems like a good trade off.

Thanks PrairieGirlAs soon as I got your very helpful e-mail, I discovered that my points will also get me a free night at the the Holiday Inn Express, Best Western and at a new Sheraton Four Points that's scheduled to open this summer. But I think I will take your advice and go with the Hampton Inn. Even though it's not on the beach, the location seems good and it seems to be one of the few hotels with balconies. Seems like a good trade off.

A lovely choice . . . . we stayed there in January 2003 and loved it. Rooms on the 5th floor or above will have a view of the ocean over some tree tops (all rooms face the south east). There are exterior corridors on the north west side of the building, where you should be able to see your ship in port (in the distance) the morning it comes in. FYI, next time I go there, I would rent bicycles (Ron Johns I think) 'cause you can cycle down the beach for miles in either direction. During sunsets, we spotted dolphins in the water too. Sigh . . . . . . . have fun!

I am going out on Glory on July 2nd. have a hotel booked at the Holiday Inn Express in Cocoa. Has anyone stayed there? How do you rate? Am using free points, so hopefully should be good.

Question: How do I find the buses for drive back to airport? Am thinking of rental down to Cocoa and then bus back. There is four of us.

We're cruising out of Pt Canaveral this fall and are also considering flying down instead of driving. A TA told me to consider flying into Melbourne instead of Orlando. Apparently it is only a short cab ride to the port.
Melbourne is about 20 miles from port, about 1/2 the distance of flying into Orlando. Melbourne is a MUCH smaller airport. Easy drive but lots of traffic most of the time ( I used to live in Eau Gallie w/ a Melbourne address as Eau Gallie was to dang small, lol) Back when we lived there A1A highway was only 2 lanes, now it's like 6 I think:(

Sea Turtle, Nothing much changed at Holiday Inn since you stayed there.

Maggieworkman, stay with the Radisson, especially if you need a parking there. I'm just back from a 7 day cruise and stayed at Holiday Inn that I booked through priceline for $68 and payed additional $70 for parking at the port. Avoid this place, it is not a 3 star maybe 1.5 star hotel. Next time I'm staying at the Radisson or Hilton with Radisson being the preferred one. Radisson is around $139 with a parking and offering the view of the pier:)

Archived