Just Booked 1st Cruise Ever, and Thanks

CurlyCali8

I just booked our first-ever cruise today, for 7 nights on the Splendor on July 22. After months of research on possible destinations/vacations/cruises, it was quite surreal to finally bite the bullet and DO IT. :eek: (Was hoping for a Caribbean cruise, but being in California, the air-fare was a deal breaker.) It's our family of 4 (2 kids, 10 & 7).

Anyway, I'm sure I didn't score the VERY best deal out there, but I'm happy with what I got via the Winter sale ($150 OBC), and I wanted to say THANKS! to all the informed, generous folks here on this site. I did LOTS of research here to get a feel for things, and I felt pretty informed and knew what to ask for when I called Carnival today. I booked an OV cabin, mid-ship on the Riviera deck...hoping that will be optimal as 2 in our family suffer motion-sickness, and my husband is a light sleeper on the best of nights in our own bed.

So thanks from this fresh newbie and I'll probably be around in the coming months! Very excited to see what this cruising thing is all about! :D

I just booked our first-ever cruise today, for 7 nights on the Splendor on July 22. After months of research on possible destinations/vacations/cruises, it was quite surreal to finally bite the bullet and DO IT. :eek: (Was hoping for a Caribbean cruise, but being in California, the air-fare was a deal breaker.) It's our family of 4 (2 kids, 10 & 7).

Anyway, I'm sure I didn't score the VERY best deal out there, but I'm happy with what I got via the Winter sale ($150 OBC), and I wanted to say THANKS! to all the informed, generous folks here on this site. I did LOTS of research here to get a feel for things, and I felt pretty informed and knew what to ask for when I called Carnival today. I booked an OV cabin, mid-ship on the Riviera deck...hoping that will be optimal as 2 in our family suffer motion-sickness, and my husband is a light sleeper on the best of nights in our own bed.

So thanks from this fresh newbie and I'll probably be around in the coming months! Very excited to see what this cruising thing is all about! :D

Have a great time!!! Only you will know if cruising is for you .. I do hope to see you back with rave reviews:D

CONGRATULATIONS! You are going to have a fantastic time cruising with Carnival! As you've already seen, these boards are THE place to go with all of your cruise questions. Please don't feel afraid to ask any question you may have regarding a Carnival cruise, port of call, ship, cabin, anything!

:cool:Bill

Since posting brand names on CC is a "no no', I can only say this...go to a drug store and purchase the motion sickness bracelets (about $10 each). Worked for my DGD. Also, for the grown-ups, ginger pills and we carry ginger ale as our allowed carry on soda.

There are other great threads that will give you more packing info.

Don't forget to make milkshakes for the kids each day using the free ice cream...makes a great bedside snack.

And now the most important advice.....HAVE A GREAT TIME!

So thanks from this fresh newbie and I'll probably be around in the coming months! Very excited to see what this cruising thing is all about!

WOO HOO! CONGRATS!

Now you need to get a countdown clock....that's always a highlight for me anyways. :) And don't forget, after your first cruise, come back and share with others so that the "new" newbies can experience it too.

Have fun! I know you will!

Congrats! We are basically in the same "boat" so to speak. I booked my family's first cruise ever a couple of weeks ago. We sail on the Miracle from NYC for 8 days. Flights for a family of four from Vermont to Miami or other ports of embarkation were pretty expensive and after some intense research, I found this cruise from NYC for the dates I wanted, and the best part is that we can drive there about 6 hours or so.

For motion sickness, I spoke to my doctor yesterday who recommended the patch which apparently is highly effective. Your doc has to prescribe it as it's not available off the counter. She informed me to stick it behind my ear a couple of days before the cruise and then change it every 2 to 3 days. Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers.

Congrats on your first booking. You are a fine example of the fantastic information to be gained from CC! :)

You are about to experience the anticipated excitement that builds day by day until you finally board that ship for a FUNtastic vacation. We are about to cruise Carnival for our fourth and Seventh overall, and we are feeling the excitement now, just as we did for our first!;)

YES....we are hooked.....big time.. on crusing and CC! :p

Hope you enjoy and have many more!:D

Congratulations! At least you found Cruise Critic before your cruise, not afterwards like we did. Go on your roll call, introduce yourself, you might find other families with kids the same age as your kids.

Things I do to pass the time before a cruise=post questions, study the ship layout, study the menu. Study the excursions, get an idea what you may want to do once you get to where you want to go. Read reviews. Some are negative, but a cruise is what you make it. And get used to having your bed made, your meals cooked and served and learn to relax, because you can run yourself ragged trying to do everything. Our first cruise I was , I guess, too scared to do anything-still had a great time. Second cruise, was on a roll call, made friends, in fact made my best friend on that cruise. Our third cruise, was with the best friend, and we played every game, won a ship on a stick(treasured item) and I needed a vacation from the vacation. Fourth cruise, went with hubby and the boss(my boss) she did her thing most of the time, as she was sea sick most of the time:rolleyes:, DH and I did nothing but have fun, and it was very relaxing. Next cruise-well small roll call, have two shore excursions planned and since I now know how to relax, have that pencilled in too-LOL Have fun, and welcome.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and good advice on how to make the time go by until July! Also thanks for the motion sickness tips...my husband is the one who can get pretty queasy.

Broke the good news to the kids at dinner tonight and they're very excited too!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and good advice on how to make the time go by until July! Also thanks for the motion sickness tips...my husband is the one who can get pretty queasy.

Broke the good news to the kids at dinner tonight and they're very excited too!

Congrats on booking your first cruise. You and the kids will love it. There is much to do for everyone. The kids are going to love the kids club. They'll make so many new friends. I remember the feeling when I booked my first one. Now I'm completely hooked. Welcome to the club!

Congrats on booking your first cruise. But watch out. They're addictive.

It's specific travel agencies and travel agent recommendations that can't be posted here. Brand names of other products are fine. DH takes Bonine every morning we're on a cruise. It keeps him from getting seasick.

I just booked our first-ever cruise today, for 7 nights on the Splendor on July 22. After months of research on possible destinations/vacations/cruises, it was quite surreal to finally bite the bullet and DO IT. (Was hoping for a Caribbean cruise, but being in California, the air-fare was a deal breaker.) It's our family of 4 (2 kids, 10 & 7).

So thanks from this fresh newbie and I'll probably be around in the coming months! Very excited to see what this cruising thing is all about!

You will love the Splendor... she's beautiful...

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

and the kids will have a fantastic time at the water park!!!

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

Archived