QE First timers on short cruise

baycruising

Ray, we have no problem with paying a lot more, maybe 4x, as we usually do for a larger balcony, suite or whatever on other cruise lines but we never get access to public areas e.g. conservatory or queen's room as roped off for higher paying guests as on Cunard. Have no problem with separate dining areas etc as most cruise ships now have many alternate dining areas.

The first directive, as per printed sheet advised any goods sold over $50 we had to pay duty tax, which we thought fair enough. Then as per daily news we were advised no duty free goods to be sold, but as they were being sold already, advice via shop staff was to stop selling all together! It apparently had more to do with the customs and duty free goods being sold, as technically we were not leaving Australia to travel internationally. But have been on two domestic cruises recently and both Princess and RCI sold these goods. Seems to be some misunderstanding about the customs requirements in Australia by all.

As a newbie to Cunard (and to cruising) I'm surprised about the comments regarding "roped off" areas. From reading Cunard's website, and postings here on CC, I know that there are separate areas for Grills passengers (lounges, deck areas, etc.), and also differences in the boarding, depending on your cabin/dining class. I did not get the impression that there were also roped-off areas of the larger general "public" spaces such as the Queen's Room. However, I've been reading mainly about the QM 2. Is roping off areas also done on the QM 2, or is this something the poster here found on the QE? Can someone explain the set up? Thanks very much.

As a newbie to Cunard (and to cruising) I'm surprised about the comments regarding "roped off" areas. From reading Cunard's website, and postings here on CC, I know that there are separate areas for Grills passengers (lounges, deck areas, etc.), and also differences in the boarding, depending on your cabin/dining class. I did not get the impression that there were also roped-off areas of the larger general "public" spaces such as the Queen's Room. However, I've been reading mainly about the QM 2. Is roping off areas also done on the QM 2, or is this something the poster here found on the QE? Can someone explain the set up? Thanks very much.

I think, though others will be better informed than I, that certain areas are sometimes roped off for meetings of those doing the entire world cruise - was this, perhaps, the case on this occasion?

Mary

On World Cruises it is normal for those passengers on that entire trip to be given a lounge or part of a lounge for their sole use, it is often a roped off part of the Winter Garden or somewhere similar. It has absolutely nothing to do with class segregation but is merely a benefit given to them as they will be on board for such a long time.

I think the Queen's Room would be roped off for the Captain's party and for the World Club parties. Both of which you need to show your invitations for. The same on the other two ships as well.

Maina, as this was our first Cunard cruise and as the QE has only been here once before, I can only report on our trip. There was a roped area in the Queens Room to the left and in the Conservatory to the left also. The Conservatory also had a harpist, I believe, in this roped area for the enjoyment of these passengers. It appeared to be in the afternoon at tea time. It really didn't bother us greatly but it surprised us. I knew there were separate dining areas according to your level of stateroom but in the public areas, didn't expect it. Must say all the passengers were very friendly although on this world cruise as you would expect most were quite elderly. It was a fairly quiet atmosphere but nice. We were trying Cunard with a view to a 2013 NZ cruise on QM but I think Celebrity Solstice or Voyager of the Seas might be the way we are going.

Having been on two long segments of P&O World Cruises and a very short segment of a QM2 World Cruise, it is my belief that the "atmosphere" onboard these long cruises is quite different from that we have experienced on shorter cruises. An example of that is the difference between the "sailaway" parties. A sailaway party on a P&O AUS ship running out of Sydney PUMPS - while the same thing on a P&O UK/Cunard ship doing a WC is a much more sedate affair.

If you think about it - there is some logic to be found in this "fact". But also, I believe that the clientèle that the different ships attract (regardless of how long the cruise) is also a major factor regarding "atmosphere" onboard.

Barry

The sail away was really very nice. We went to the Commodore Lounge about midnight and with a glass of wine, very friendly and chatty passengers, the skyline of Sydney just slipped past. Have never been on P &O Aust or for that matter a sail away party, we prefer to get a buffet table with a view or enjoy from our balcony. But it is true that some 800 passengers were in for the long haul and would not be looking for the same entertainment as those on a shorter leg. At 10.00pm the following evening, only 3 groups in pub listening to a great musician and then a trivia game - very quiet. On the other hand on a recent RCI cruise, I actually looked for a quiet nook as I felt I was becoming "socialized out"!

Archived