QE First timers on short cruise

baycruising

We are taking a 2 night QE cruise from Sydney to Brisbane at the end of Feb. Cabin 8057 - Brittania Club. Has anyone any experience of these cabins? Really looking forward to trying Cunard as we usually cruise Princess.

Have not been able to find any info on Cruise Personaliser about the dress code for the two nights we are on board - first night is leaving Sydney and the second is "at sea".

I am guessing it may be formal on the second night and casual on the first? The PDF documents in cruise personaliser have been "unavailable" every time I have checked over the last few weeks so I am thinking there may be no information for us :mad: Perhaps someone else can fill us in?

With a short cruise we don't want to overpack but obviously don't want to be underdressed in the company of fortunate world cruisers!! Do you think a lounge suit for DH and a long dress for me will be ok. Is it ok to be quite casual when boarding??

We dock at the grain terminal in Brisbane instead of Portside- I know the terminal is out of the way having cruised from there in the past but what is the best way to get to the airport - we have an 11am flight and will plan to disembark ourselves as we shall only have small cases. Do Cunard arrange buses or anything - or do we just need to grab a cab?

Any thoughts or helpful ideas will be appreciated. While we are not cruise novices we don't want to stand out too much as first time Cunarders!!!!!

Baycruising

I am not too sure whether you will get many answers to this one - as Cunard ships berthing in Brisbane are a bit of a rarity.

I have sailed from and arrived back at that berth on P&O UK ships - as part of P&O World cruises similar to what QR will be doing. Usually there are shuttle buses into the City - but in your case, needing to go to the airport, I believe you would be better to get a taxi from the Grain Wharf to the Brisbane Airport - they are not very far apart.

Barry

The link for the dress code is here. Just click on Queen Elizabeth Voyage Q117 to Q302. You're correct with your assumption regarding the dress code for the two nights you're onboard, it's elegant casual for embarkation night and formal for your sea night.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

This link will help you out with the dress code.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

Yes it's okay to be casual when boarding, nobody wears a suit or tie or anything like that. Well not nobody, but not the majority. Having said that, I certainly don't think anyone turns up for boarding dressed like they're about to do some gardening or paint the house.

I'd ring Cunard regarding disembarkation in Brisbane.

I typically wear my EC jacket for embarkation (sans tie). It's not unusual.

Underwatr, both my husband and I wear what we would wear for dinner (EC= elegant casual attire) when we embark. It makes sense for two reasons: luggage may be delayed, and the weight is lower on luggage if you wear it rather than pack it and drag it! Usually our luggage arrives in time to freshen up before dinner, but if not, we're suitable for dinner.

But I understand that passengers have different travel arrangements and often arrive at the port of embarkation after a lengthy travel ordeal. I have seem passengers arrive at the port and look like they have been dragged through the tortures of the dammed - and later found that many have been! Bottom line: wear what fits your travel accomomdations. There are no fashion police in the terminal :cool: -S.

We are taking a 2 night QE cruise from Sydney to Brisbane at the end of Feb. Cabin 8057 - Brittania Club. Has anyone any experience of these cabins? Really looking forward to trying Cunard as we usually cruise Princess.

Have not been able to find any info on Cruise Personaliser about the dress code for the two nights we are on board - first night is leaving Sydney and the second is "at sea".

I am guessing it may be formal on the second night and casual on the first? The PDF documents in cruise personaliser have been "unavailable" every time I have checked over the last few weeks so I am thinking there may be no information for us :mad: Perhaps someone else can fill us in?

With a short cruise we don't want to overpack but obviously don't want to be underdressed in the company of fortunate world cruisers!! Do you think a lounge suit for DH and a long dress for me will be ok. Is it ok to be quite casual when boarding??

We dock at the grain terminal in Brisbane instead of Portside- I know the terminal is out of the way having cruised from there in the past but what is the best way to get to the airport - we have an 11am flight and will plan to disembark ourselves as we shall only have small cases. Do Cunard arrange buses or anything - or do we just need to grab a cab?

Any thoughts or helpful ideas will be appreciated. While we are not cruise novices we don't want to stand out too much as first time Cunarders!!!!!

Hi Baycruising. A two night cruise on a Cunard ship is new to me; I didn't know two night cruises were on offer. But regarding the dress code, usually the first and last night of any voyage is elegant casual due to logistical resons- how the dress code changes for a two night cruise would be interesting to read. Please keep us posted and enjoy the ship:). - Regards, -S

Hi Baycruising. A two night cruise on a Cunard ship is new to me; I didn't know two night cruises were on offer. But regarding the dress code, usually the first and last night of any voyage is elegant casual due to logistical resons- how the dress code changes for a two night cruise would be interesting to read. Please keep us posted and enjoy the ship:). - Regards, -S

Salacia

Quite common here - but primarily for ships doing World Cruises which embark/disembark passengers in Brisbane and Sydney (and sometimes even Melbourne). It's a GREAT way to briefly experience ships which are usually not easily accessible to us because of their normal areas of operation.

When we step onboard QV in May, it will be after a 25 hour flight - I won't be even remotely interested in what I or anybody else will be wearing when boarding !:p

Barry

Perhaps it is an example of rampant sexism in Cunard ships - where women can wear anything they like, but men can't ???

Barry

And long may that continue. As a mere male I am entirely happy for Cunard to continue to make all my sartorial decisions for me. The ladies actually have to think about what to wear :D

J

Do they serve them at Tesco's then? Is there an anthropppophpagy Special?

SS

Can't say I've ever seen anything like that in Tesco. But the Old Grey Funnel line still serves "babies heads" if you fancy a cruise with them. :cool:

J

Can't say I've ever seen anything like that in Tesco. But the Old Grey Funnel line still serves "babies heads" if you fancy a cruise with them. :cool:

J

A gentleman keen on anthropophagy,

For his habit he made no apology.

Said, ‘If I dine on Cunard

I can go through the card

Eating fine folks all dressed quite properly'.

SS

Hi baycruiser,

We are on the 2 night- same as you. We are flying back to Newcastle from Brisbane.

There is a formal night on the two nights we are on - according to my travel agent. He could not inform me as to which night, but like you guessing the sea night.

We aslo are doing the own walk off with luggauge. We are planning to get a taxi to the airport, as we fly around 11.00.

Regards

Steve Virginia

Also on the 2 nighter. If using online or go green options, go to voyage personaliser then green box for holiday information online then PDF for voyage documentation. Lots of information including dress codes for entire world cruise - lots of formal nights. 29/2 is elegant casual and 1/3 is formal. Still a bit worried about what to wear though! Not a fan of long frocks as such on me - totally wrong shape!

Still a bit worried about what to wear though! Not a fan of long frocks as such on me - totally wrong shape!

Don't worry too much about this! There will certainly be a lot of women in long dresses, but there are usually quite a few in short frocks too. So wear what you feel suits you best, and have a great time:)

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on this sector as well, i was told by the person where our car will be parked that its possible a shuttle will run from fishermans island to hamilton wharf as it has been done before. Much cheaper to get a taxi from there to the airport. By car it would take aprox 50 minutes from fishermans island to get to the airport. Hamilton to airport is about 10 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of feedback after all the help with our questions. have just arrived home from our 2 nighter and absolutely loved the QE.

Arrived at the Overseas Passenger Terminal Sydney just before they opened check-in at 12.30 and were on board within 30 minutes. First great surprise was an upgrade from an AA Club Balcony to a P3 Princess Grills - who wouldn't be thrilled with that!! How we loved the PG dining room and lounge area, the wonderful service and friendly staff to say nothing of the excellent food!!

We loved the general air of elegance throughout the ship, while there was heaps to do we found the quieter atmosphere more to our taste than some other lines.

Yes the crowd was older - as young 60s we thought we were at the lower end of the passenger age group. We only saw one family with children. Like us though, most people seemed to keep going well into the late hours - some of the older couples on the dance floor showed that dancing keeps you young - resolution to self - get dancing more often!!

Our cabin was on deck 4, good size, large balcony and kept beautifully by our steward - who seemed very busy. We only used room service for early morning cups of tea but were impressed by the speed of delivery. We tried the Lido for breakfast this morning prior to leaving the ship - a little chaotic with staff serving all food due to health advisory - but food was good and hot and as always we enjoyed the people watching experience of the buffet!!

So now, as I feared, we are hooked - next stop Cunard website!!

Just back from SYD-BRIS on QE. Thanks for advice re evening wear and yes we need not have worried about it. It was much lower key on formal night than we envisaged. I think there was more formal dress appearing on the male species! The ladies certainly wore an assortment from cocktail, pants and long evening outfits but everyone made an effort and looked good. We enjoyed our time and the passengers were very friendly unlike our previous trip on Oriana. We only had a couple of areas which we thought were poorly executed and they were - afternoon tea - just a debacle! (Princess did this much better) - some of the wait staff were the worst we have ever encountered - the ship was confused and had no idea as to the purchase of goods in the shops to domestic passengers, two differening directives issued and then they just refused to sell. Both Princess and Radiance had sold everything except alcohol and cigarettes on domestic cruises. We thought the evening entertainment was the best we have encountered. The pub and commodore club singers/piano players, theatre shows and yacht club band - just terrific. The decor worked well although a little faux in places (sign of the times) and looked very luxurious. I don't know if noro was on board as there was a lot of sanitizing happening and no self service in the Lido or maybe it was precautionary because of the large intake of passengers - a good idea if this was the case. We also did not like the class distinction on this ship. We have always paid the equivalent on RCI or Princess and never had public areas segregated or roped off areas for certain passengers. I don't think this belongs in the 21st century. Apart from our personal observations we did enjoy ourselves and would still travel again on QE but couldn't manage 104 days or so on board. Just our personal thoughts being in our late 50's early 60's.

Megsie,

Totally agree with what you have said, To us lets say it was an experience we wanted to try but im afraid it wasnt exactly what we are used to and would probably cruise on other lines in future. Saying this i must point out the ship is well maitained and spotless but lacks the atmostphere we have had on other cruises.

the ship was confused and had no idea as to the purchase of goods in the shops to domestic passengers, two differening directives issued and then they just refused to sell. Both Princess and Radiance had sold everything except alcohol and cigarettes on domestic cruises.

That’s strange because Harding Brothers who stock the Cunard shops also have RCI as customers.

http://harding-cruiseship.s15310919.onlinehome-server.info/our-customers.aspx

We also did not like the class distinction on this ship. We have always paid the equivalent on RCI or Princess and never had public areas segregated or roped off areas for certain passengers. I don't think this belongs in the 21st century.

If Grills passengers have paid a heck of a lot more money for their cabins than everyone else, why shouldn’t they have their own lounge, dining room and deck areas?

They even have roped off areas for first class lounges and dining rooms on the DFDS North Sea ferries.

http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/onboard-our-ferries/newcastle-amsterdam/commodore-class/

Archived