Travel Insurance

Twice-a-year

Hi all,

any one ever use OTHER Travel Insurance, that's not offer by Carnival? How is you experience with OTHER Travel Insurance company? Any recommendation?

Thanks

If you're military eligible, checkout the Travel-Insured Policies at USAA. ken

You can find better choices for vacation insurance (and at a lower rate) than what the cruise line has to offer. We've always used CSA, but do take the time to shop and compare. Make sure you're getting the coverage you need at a rate that seems reasonable to you. That's what's nice about Insure My Trip dot com. You can do side by side comparisons. You probably can also purchase traveler's insurance through your home owner's insurance company, but the cost will be much higher.

Our arrival back into port on the Magic Jan 22 was delayed 6 hours due to fog (I am told this happens frequently in Galveston). I always purchase travel insurance and thank heavens we did - we missed both of our flights.

I got fabulous service from my insurer - I called them at the port (got through right away) and they told me to make my own travel arrangements (flight, any overnight hotel, dinner), keep the receipts and they would reimburse me for the full amount (land arrangemets to a max. of $300 a day).

All we are waiting on is a letter from Carnival stating the reason for the delay.

With the current state of airlines, I think insurance is essential.

Hi,

I have in the past always used insure my trip dot com. The past 2 yrs I didn't take the insurance out for my cruises. Last yr my mom was sick in the hospital a few days before my cruise..she was going to be ok so we decided to cruise anyway. This year we were suppose to go out on the Carnival Freedom today, however I just spent 6 days in the hospital for double pneumonia... no insurance purchased yet. Not only was I extremely ill in the hospital but also knew that I wouldn't be well enough to cruise. My doctor said no way will you be going on the cruise. Knowing I didn't purchase Travel Insurance, I was devistated.... However, I called Carnival & asked if they would be willing to rebook me on the March 10th sailing. She said "NO"... but after talking with her & sharing my story.. and us I couldn't stop crying.. she agreed to rebook me. It cost me $300.00 more but I was extremely grateful. Did she have to do that? NO.... it was my fault for not purchasing Travel Insurance. I will tell you though, as soon as I got off the phone & was rebooked... I went out to insure my trip dot com & purchased trip insurance. It was only $97.00 for 2 of us... A huge lesson learned 2 yrs in a row... I will always purchase trip insurance.

:)

Sue

i dont understand how to get a quote....do u put the cost for hole cruise or just deposit u put down

On the 3rd party insurance sites (non cruiseline) put the cost of the cruise and cost of airfare if you want to insure airfare, and any non-refundable pre- and post- trip hotels. Be aware that you need to purchase within 7-14 days of booking in order to get valuable "waiver of pre-existing conditions" and/or if you want "cancel for any reason" option. ken

There are different options of coverage to choose from. Do you want your insurance to cover everything (air travel, cruise, etc.), or cruise only, or air travel only. The type of coverage you want will determine the cost. Go to insure my trip dot com and you'll see a variety of choices.

I used to work for Travel Insured International as a claim rep. They are not just for USAA members. They are great and as a previous claims examiner I can tell you that they try and make sure all claims that meet the requirements are paid. Their prices are really reasonable as well.

When you look for a quote you want to insured the entire cost of your trip thT will be non-refundable if you had to cancel at the last minute. I booked a cruise for December but because I only booked the cruise as of yet I only insured that portion of the trip. Once I book my airfare I will call them and change the trip cost and pay the difference, same when I book the hotel. If your worried about pre-existing conditions make sure you buy your insurance within the guidelines. It used to be 14 days from the date of deposit but I believe they have increased it to 21 days.

If you have any questions please ask I will be happy to tell you what I remember. Oh and just so you all know I don't work for them anymore because I moved out of state. They are a wonderful company and I would recommend them to anyone and not because I worked for them. A few years ago I actually had to used the insurance while on a trip, after I no longer worked for them.

If you're military eligible, checkout the Travel-Insured Policies at USAA. ken

Just to clarify - The reason I suggested USAA as the source for Travel Insured was that the Policy via USAA is a bit less expensive than thru other sources and includes several higher coverages. ken

Insurance is great if you have to cancel a cruise before it leaves--but the biggest reason we get it is in case something happens to one of us while we're on a cruise. My mother-in-law had to be hospitalized in Greece while on a cruise. The insurance company was great. It paid for her hospital stay, my father-in-law's hotel, and the cost to change their flights back to the U.S., including hiring a student nurse to accompany her. And then they got reimbursed for the portion of the cruise they missed.

Please excuse my confusion (on drugs for tooth extraction today!) but are you saying that if you want to use any other carrier other than Carnival' insurance, you have to buy that insurance within 14 or 21 days of making your deposit? If so, I now have no choice but to use Carnival as I booked my cruise last year. Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks for clarifying anyone...

Please excuse my confusion (on drugs for tooth extraction today!) but are you saying that if you want to use any other carrier other than Carnival' insurance, you have to buy that insurance within 14 or 21 days of making your deposit? If so, I now have no choice but to use Carnival as I booked my cruise last year. Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks for clarifying anyone...

No, you can buy the insurance at any time. If there are any medical conditions that you are being treated for that could be a possible cause for canceling your trip you need to buy it within the insurance companies pre-existing conditions clause...and most of the companies have them. For example, let's say your on medication for a heart condition and a week before your cruise that condition worsens and you need to cancel. If you did not buy your insurance within the pre-existing condition clause then you would not be covered. If you did buy the insurance within that time period then your all set. Oh Yeager, and that applies to any immediate family members (parents, children, siblings, aunts, uncles) that you may have to cancel your trip for.

It can be confusing. Travel Insured has a great staff of customer service reps available 24 hours if reading this is confusing. Also their website has complete details. Their website is http://www.travel insured.com.

If you happen to be a USAA member they do offer slightly lower pricing. Other than that their pricing is very good.

I always use insuremytrip.com too and weigh the policies. I am usually concerned about having medical and evacuation, as my major med policy does not cover me outside of the US ...

I've never had to file a claim though ...

Never buy insurance thru Carnival. I always go to insuremytrip.com and review the policies there. I usually opt for travelguard.

Exactly what I do.

Like previously stated more coverage and costs much less than Carnival.

Look at insuremytrip.com and if you have any questions call them. I always use them.

They took great care of us last March when I found myself in surgery 2 days prior to our scheduled flight to San Juan to sail on the Victory. We received literally every penny we spent except the cost of the insurance itself. We had a pre-cruise hotel on Priceline, airfare for the 4 of us and cruise cost of 2 cabins (1 interior & 1 Balcony). Very easy and efficient, such a relief since the situation itself was extremely stressful and disappointing. I don't know if I could ever imagine not buying insurance after how easy and inexpensive it was to have!

I've used Travelex purchased through Insure My trip dot com. I had to make a claim and had no problems with them whatsoever. A family member also used them and had no problem with her claim.

One word of caution. If you do have to file a claim make sure you hide your original receipt in a safe place. Our cabin steward took it upon himself to throw out the Carnival Capers I wanted to save that were placed on a shelf in our cabin. Laying with those Capers was my receipt for our son's treatment in the medical facility on board. I noticed it on the morning of the last day when I went to pack them. I was able to go to the medical facility and get a new receipt but it was difficult because they had limited hours that day.

I sent the insurance company a photocopy and held on to the original. They would not accept that and did make payment as soon as I sent them an original receipt.

Archived