Camera SD Card Download on Ship

FortyNinerLiz

You could always bring a USB reader with you? BTW, I would not try to copy your pictures to a CD. Assuming your camera is somewhat decent, it will have pictures of a size that will only allow a handful to be written to any one CD. You might consider buying a USB thumb drive, and copying the pictures from your SD card to the thumb drive. Just make sure the thumb drive is bigger that the total memory of your SD card(s).

A SD card runs what 10-20 bucks for 8GB, on the ship they will charge highway robbery for a CD/DVD burn, likely in the neighborhood of 20-30 bucks where you could get another 24GB of storage.

Buy a few exta memory cards, NEVER NEVER erase your cards/pictures prior to having double backup; the cards, your computer, and maybe a seperate harddrive, unless of course you don't mind loosing the pictures.

Is there a kiosk on the ship where you can download a camera SD Card to a CD as a backup???

To copy from SD to USB will require a computer/laptop, if you got a laptop you are good and done. No ship or public computer I can remember in recent memory or public kiosk allows access to the USB ports, for obvious reasons.

You could always bring a USB reader with you? BTW, I would not try to copy your pictures to a CD. Assuming your camera is somewhat decent, it will have pictures of a size that will only allow a handful to be written to any one CD. You might consider buying a USB thumb drive, and copying the pictures from your SD card to the thumb drive. Just make sure the thumb drive is bigger that the total memory of your SD card(s).

Is there a kiosk on the ship where you can download a camera SD Card to a CD as a backup???

They had a picture kiosk on the Celebrity Millennium where they offered a transfer from your SD card to a CD for around $15. As far backing it up do you plan on taking a small laptop with you? I took my Netbook and downloaded the pictures daily from my camera. Glad I did because the SD card has now been lost! :(

A SD card runs what 10-20 bucks for 8GB, on the ship they will charge highway robbery for a CD/DVD burn, likely in the neighborhood of 20-30 bucks where you could get another 24GB of storage.

Buy a few exta memory cards, NEVER NEVER erase your cards/pictures prior to having double backup; the cards, your computer, and maybe a seperate harddrive, unless of course you don't mind loosing the pictures.

THIS.

Just buy larger / more SD cards before you go. They're cheap.

If you have your laptop with you, just dump them to your hard drive. CDs can carry only 700MB of data, DVDs about 7GB, neither nearly enough for your pictures unless you size them down to looking pretty poor.

THIS.

Just buy larger / more SD cards before you go. They're cheap.

If you have your laptop with you, just dump them to your hard drive. CDs can carry only 700MB of data, DVDs about 7GB, neither nearly enough for your pictures unless you size them down to looking pretty poor.

Excellent point. OP what size megapixels are your pictures? I shoot pictures that are about 12mp. I think the numbers come our something like this:

Picture size and approx number that will fit on a CD:

< 1mp about 700 - 800 pictures

2 mp about 350

3 mp about 250

4 mp about 170

5 mp about 135

6 mp about 110

7 mp about 100

I just bring a netbook with plenty of SD cards. I back the SD cards up to the netbook - but do not erase the cards. This gives me 2 copies of each photo, which means I have a backup.

A netbook is really handy on a ship as it is small and easy to take with you.

If it is a long cruise I bring my laptop and a 500 GB Passport Hard Drive and copy the pictures on to the passport. each day. Otherwise on short cruises I have extra cards.

As others have stated cards are so inexpensive today!

This is why I love my iPad, I download my photos at the end of the day into it. Tried taking our laptop a couple of times but it's just one more thing to carry. Love being able to look at all my photos of the day. I also take extra cards, we have bought a few and add 1 or 2 when they are on sale. DH downloads all the pictures permanently at home and then we start all over again next time.

They had a picture kiosk on the Celebrity Millennium where they offered a transfer from your SD card to a CD for around $15. As far backing it up do you plan on taking a small laptop with you? I took my Netbook and downloaded the pictures daily from my camera. Glad I did because the SD card has now been lost! :(

Thank you so much for all of your advice. I will take my ASUS netbook and my iPad and between the two, I should be able to back up and do everything. The only problem is carrying all the stuff in my carry-on with everything else!!! It will be worth it!!

I believe that it was somewhat less that $20 when I did this - not to make space on my SD card but to ensure that I had a second copy of my photos "just in case". I could keep adding to the CD throughout the cruise so I thought that it was worth it to ensure our photos were safe - and it paid off when one of our cards malfunctioned!

I now travel with a small laptop and back up my photos onto memory sticks daily using that. It also gives me the ability to start editing them if I have time while I am away but this is a much more expensive option if you do not already have a suiltable laptop.

Sue

This is why I love my iPad, I download my photos at the end of the day into it. Tried taking our laptop a couple of times but it's just one more thing to carry. Love being able to look at all my photos of the day. I also take extra cards, we have bought a few and add 1 or 2 when they are on sale. DH downloads all the pictures permanently at home and then we start all over again next time.

How do you get your pictures onto your iPad? I thought you had to go through the computer to do it, since they don't have USB ports?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

Personally I wouldn't recommend using your iPad for storing pictures with how cheap SD cards are and how pricy iAnything are :D

USB will never appear on some iThings, but now that Steve has gone to the big iHeaven anything is possible, bless him!

How do you get your pictures onto your iPad? I thought you had to go through the computer to do it, since they don't have USB ports?

Archived