disembarkation

packup

Do the porters bring your luggage outside of the terminal for you or do they just bring it to the custom line? How much do you tip per bag?

They'll take it to your car or shuttle. We tip $2 per bag, $5 per if we have really large or heavy ones.

In the middle of the night, the crew takes your luggage that you've set outside stateroom and bring it to the terminal. You need to claim it in the termional then you are required by law to be with it as you pass through customs but the porters will move it, wait while you clear customs and bring it to your car.

Don't forget to tip.

Please put a return my luggage address inside your bags just incase they get picked up by someone else. And you may want to do something to make your baggages stand out from others especially if you have plain black bags.

We had 8 bags and carry ons the porter walked all the way out to the parking garage with us and helped load our Excursion, I gave him $20..

Are you flying home that day? Look into the air/sea paperwork. You can check in for your flight on board and if available they will print out your airline baggage tags and once you put your bags outside you won't see them until your final destination. We just did this on the Magic and it worked perfectly. This is of course if your flying home.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Does Disney offer "early disembark" for those of us willing to handle our own luggage? Thanks in advance. Oh, and do you have any idea what time that would be if they do offer it??

Vada

Nope, no early disembarkation. The ship usually arrives back in port around 5:30am, but they must wait for Customs and Border Protection to "clear" the ship. During that time, luggage is being taken to the Customs area for possible inspection. Clearing the ship normally happens about 7:30am. As soon as that happens, an announcement is made and you are free to leave the ship and head for the Customs area.

Yes, you can handle your own luggage, but you and it must then clear Customs.

If you want to disembark right after the announcement is made, I'd suggest you be in the atrium and near the doors by 7~7:15am. Expect the atrium to be crowded with folks who are anxious to get ashore to make it to the airport for early flights. And be prepared for the possibility that Customs may decide to open and inspect your luggage.

Does Disney offer "early disembark" for those of us willing to handle our own luggage? Thanks in advance. Oh, and do you have any idea what time that would be if they do offer it??

Vada

Yes and no. You will be directed what time disembarkation will begin. In theory, DCL asks those handling their own luggage be off first. In my experience, it doesn't happen this way.

Many people (who are handling their own luggage) will do as asked, and try to be first in line for disembarkation. There will also be many people (without their luggage) trying to be first in line to disembark. :rolleyes: As well as many people (handling their own luggage) who feel that getting off later is more to their liking. ;)

:)

Sounds like a real zoo! Too bad. So far I have been impressed with their organization (times for embarking, etc) but this sounds really messy.

Thanks so much for the quick replies!

Vada

Depending on the cruise you take, disembarkation is handled a bit different on different cruises.

On the LA (San Pedro) MR cruises, we received in our room on the second to last night luggage tags. The luggage tags have different characters (Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Tink, etc) on them. After placing the tags on the luggage and putting outside our doors, we didn't see them again until we were off the ship.

On disembarkation morning, the cruisers wishing to disembark with their bags were directed what time to be in the atrium. They were going to be disembarked as soon as the ship cleared customs.

After that, each character was called, and you disembarked when your character was called.

As I said, there were people who lined up with the early disembarkation people who actually had tags that wouldn't be called until later. But, overall, I feel it went fairly well. The only think I didn't like was the people who just disembarked whenever they wanted, dragging along all their bags, kids, and souviners.

I find the best thing is just to wait, until the last groups are disembarking. Usually, we can just walk right off, find our bags and go.

Sounds like a real zoo! Too bad. So far I have been impressed with their organization (times for embarking, etc) but this sounds really messy.

Thanks so much for the quick replies!

Vada

We were on the Fantasy 2 weeks ago, disembarkation went very smooth. We went to breakfast for 1st seating at 6:45am (2nd seating was at 8AM). You have to take everything to breakfast as you can't go back to your room. As we were eating, others were leaving the dining room with their bags. We finished, then went to wait outside the dining room on deck 2 as we saw others waiting. I asked my wife to run up to deck 3 atrium where you disembark to see if it was crowded. She said it wasn't so we all went up, and here, people were already getting off! So we just got off. We didn't hear any public announcements at all that morning that disembarkment had started. I actually liked that, because I think people get anxious and wound up when those announcements start. We were off the ship at 8am, found our 3 bags, thru customs, on the Magical Express and at Orlando airport by 9:15am!

BTW, with their coding system for the luggage, it took us less than a minute to find our bags in the terminal.

Since we live just a couple hours from the dock, we like to walk off early. But not when it's jammed with a lot of people. Most cruise lines limit the # of folks with early departure. Oh well, it's probably better to let the crowds disburse before attempting to disembark.

And it's too bad you can't go back to your room to wait! They don't want you in the public areas but won't let you in your room?!! Phooey! Sitting in the theatre and/or lounges waiting for your character to be called, that's old school.

But, I'm going and I'm going to have a wonderful time!!!

Vada :cool:

Are you flying home that day? Look into the air/sea paperwork. You can check in for your flight on board and if available they will print out your airline baggage tags and once you put your bags outside you won't see them until your final destination. We just did this on the Magic and it worked perfectly. This is of course if your flying home.

Do you know how much they charge for this service? We used this service on Carnival last month it cost $20 per passenger.

We've done 2 prior DCL cruises, both on the Wonder, with one out of PC and the other out of LA. Our disembarkation on both was seamless. We didn't do the early time or self-disemb but had no problems whatsoever with crowds or anything. Just as with the other lines, you are able to wait in certain lounges/theaters. I'd take DCL any day over the other lines.

You mean, if you're going to Disney Resort afterwards, it's not like magic, and appears in your Resort room? :) I honestly didn't know you have to pick it up and take it to your transporation yourself.

You have to clear customs with your bags, so you get a porter to take you and your bags thru customs and to the Disneycruiseline bus. Not a hassle at all. We are taking the DCL bus to Wilderness Lodge after our cruise. It works well. It is not DME.

Do you know how much they charge for this service? We used this service on Carnival last month it cost $20 per passenger.

We just sailed the second Fantasy sailing. Applied for this service and were notified about 6:00 pm Friday evening that we were a random pick chosen by our airline not to participate in this service. That meant getting regular luggage tags and having luggage sent the usual way for morning pick-up. There was no cost for the service! We have never had this experience on other lines that offered it. Princess charges $20 per person and NCL $19.95.

I was very surprised at the easy disembark. No crowds. Left the ship at 8 am and at the Orlando airport by 9:10! Then the lines started and we knew our cruise was over.

Since we live just a couple hours from the dock, we like to walk off early. But not when it's jammed with a lot of people. Most cruise lines limit the # of folks with early departure. Oh well, it's probably better to let the crowds disburse before attempting to disembark.

And it's too bad you can't go back to your room to wait! They don't want you in the public areas but won't let you in your room?!! Phooey! Sitting in the theatre and/or lounges waiting for your character to be called, that's old school.

But, I'm going and I'm going to have a wonderful time!!!

Vada :cool:

You can be in any of the public areas while waiting to disembark. We waited in the Promenade Lounge. Some people were up on deck watching the disembarking until they left.

Does anyone know if DCL offers shore excursions on disembarkation day? Thinking of the ones that many cruise lines have Fort Lauderdale or Miami that end up of at the airport for those with later flights. Tx.

Not that I've ever heard of.

Archived