Panama Canal cruise and weather in October

ConnMom

We are considering a Panama Canal full transit cruise from mid-October to early November. I have learned that this is the rainy season at many of our ports (especially Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Panama), but this is the only time we can schedule this trip.

If you have cruised the Panama Canal during the fall season, could you please tell me how much of an effect the rain had on your trip? Did it make the canal transit or port excursions unpleasant or even unsafe due to wet road conditions? Also, if you had a balcony stateroom, were you able to use the balcony enough during the cruise to make it worth paying a substantial upcharge from an oceanview room?

Thank you for any insights you can provide. We are looking forward to this itinerary, but I am concerned that our timing might diminish the experience for us.

Cheryl

We are considering a Panama Canal full transit cruise from mid-October to early November. I have learned that this is the rainy season at many of our ports (especially Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Panama), but this is the only time we can schedule this trip. This is during Hurricane season, so it may definitely impact your cruise. It is possible, due to the path of a possible hurricane, you may miss port(s).

If you have cruised the Panama Canal during the fall season, could you please tell me how much of an effect the rain had on your trip? Did it make the canal transit (if raining hard, you may be sheltering and not getting a full view, on the bow, for example)or port excursions unpleasant or even unsafe due to wet road conditions? Also, if you had a balcony stateroom, were you able to use the balcony enough during the cruise to make it worth paying a substantial upcharge from an oceanview room? Balconies are always "worth" it.

Thank you for any insights you can provide. We are looking forward to this itinerary, but I am concerned that our timing might diminish the experience for us.

Cheryl

As mentioned, you will be sailing in hurricane season. While, generally, hurricanes affect only a small number of cruises, it could be you. That is the chance you take when you cruise in the season.

I am going the last two weeks of Sept into early October.

From what I've read, the rains do come but they tend to be very intense showers lasting "a short time" after which it turns nice.

On the other hand, reading the book Path Between the Seas, it sounds like it poured non-stop.

Somehow, I think it more likely to be the hard showers more than nonstop rain.

At least let's hope so.

Now, these showers are incredible, so there is no way to avoid getting drenched if you are outdoors without a rain coat.

I plan on taking a good rain coat and not worrying about it. The weather is going to do what it wants. All we can do is be ready for it.

We did a full transit of the Panama Canal in early November, 2008. The hubby lived for several years in Panama during the early 1960s (his father was a US Air Force officer stationed in the Canal Zone), so we knew there would be a possibility of heavy rain. We actually had beautiful weather. We hit some heavy seas and rain which lasted about twelve hours after leaving Puntarenas, Costa Rica. That was by far the worst weather of the two weeks, and the day of the actual transit we had beautiful weather.

That particular cruise was one of my husband's favorite cruises. We enjoyed it so much that we are doing back to back cruises through the canal in April.

David McCullough's book "The Path Between the Seas" is excellent. I have purchased Julie Greene's "The Canal Builders: Making America's Empire at the Panama Canal" but have yet to read it.

Seriously, I would not even give the weather a second thought. Sure you may get some rain but it won't be a deal breaker as if you do get a little liquid sunshine, more often than not it is just a shower and not an all day event. The last two times we did a complete transit (CA to FL) it was in this exact time frame. On one transit we received a little rain in between Miraflores Locks and Pedro Miguel Locks... created havoc at the breakfast buffet, but it sure opened up a lot more room in the choice viewing spots. The Rainy Season can be your friend at times providing a little more cloud cover, so it is not all bad. Having lived in Panama many years, I did not even carry an umbrella, I owned one, but it was never around when it rained!!

Weather will not impact your balcony much at all, so if you think you will use it and enjoy the balcony, the rain won't interfere. Let me add a little more here from the IMO department.... Don't plan on using your balcony much for the Canal transit day. Please do yourself a favor and be out where you can take in the sights. This is particularly true while you are in the locks and passing through Gaillard Cut. Unless you are in a stern cabin, you will only see half of the picture!

It rains in Panama! The "wet season" (or "green season" as tourist brochures like to call it) or "rainy season" should be the "more rain season" and the "dry season" should be the "less rainy season." For a small country Panama has a lot of differences in climate and rainfall, and even lots of micro-climates. Colon gets more rainfall than Panama City - same Canal. I usually promise folks that sometime during a transit there will be some precipitation - deluge or sprinkles - and I am usually right.

My bigger concern about October would be weather in the Caribbean and hurricane season, not weather in Panama. [Panama is outside the hurricane belt.] But take a cheap rain poncho and an umbrella and don't let the rain stop you. It's not Seattle, but the tropics. It doesn't drizzle it pours. And even in the rainy season the mornings are usually sunny.

McCullough's book is the definitive Panama Canal history, but a bit daunting for some folks. Green's book is good, and I also like PANAMA FEVER by Matthew Parker which I think gives a good view from the workers' perspective. And since you brought up Canal books, don't forget MY book, CRUISING THE PANAMA CANAL which is written just for folk taking a Canal cruise. It has a more concise history of the Canal as well as the relationship of Panama with the US and the Canal, and a complete narration either Northbound or Southbound transit, essentially what I give from the Bridge when I'm on a Canal transit.

If you push you trip to the end of November or December, assuming you have some choice, you'll find the weather better in the Caribbean.

Regards, Richard

It's all been said before. Just know that it will probably rain. All day rain is unusual and short showers are common. When I did a full transit in October I can't tell you how many times it rained. Probably 6 or 8 separate showers with plenty of good weather in between.

Often an easy way to spot a tourist is watch what they do when it rains. The locals tend to walk calmly about or wait under cover until the worst is over since they know it's usually only a short wait. The tourists crazily run around screaming and covering their heads as if the rain was acid.

I am going the last two weeks of Sept into early October.

From what I've read, the rains do come but they tend to be very intense showers lasting "a short time" after which it turns nice.

We did that same trip on Millie San Diego to Miami during the same time in 2011. It did rain a bit, but not enough to be concerned about. And, instead of going out and standing along the bow at the heliport, we camped out upstairs on deck 10 in Cosmos. We had a comfortable seat, and we could see everything going on.

That was also about the time that Hurricane Hillary came up the Mexican coast. When we left Putarenas, we steamed 400 miles straight out in the Pacific, then came about and steamed 400 miles back to the coastline coming in behind the hurricane. We did have some wind and rough seas, but we just relaxed and enjoyed the ride.

Have fun!:D

Archived