Sapphire Beach and Young Children

ljzelenz

Hello,

We will be on the Allure the first week of April and are interested in going to Sapphire Beach.

What is the best way from the port with small children ? Any experiences. Is it safe with the kids? Car seats, etc ? Thank you,

We visited Sapphire Beach several years ago when our 3 children were ages 9,7, and 5. We all had a great time and I would definately go back. The easiest way to get there is to take an open air taxi. Your other option is to rent a car. Just make sure parents sit on the outside and kids between you. No car seats. The main con is they want $10/person each way which can be pricey for a family. They generally don't give discounts for kids even though they take up less space. I've asked for half price for the youngest and once I got it. At first they wouldn't do it but when I started to walk away to look for another taxi they agreed.

Thanks for your response.

Do you all feel safe on open air buses with the children ?

Guess I am just a bit unsure.

I took an open air bus to Sapphire and there is no way I would go on one again, let alone with kids. Take an enclosed taxi, there are plenty around!

Sapphire Beach is beautiful and the waves are so gentle for little ones.

I took an open air bus to Sapphire and there is no way I would go on one again, let alone with kids. Take an enclosed taxi, there are plenty around!

Sapphire Beach is beautiful and the waves are so gentle for little ones.

We feel very safe on the open safari-type taxi, no concerns. I have videos of folks on these making the steep, 180° switchback turns on Tortola and holding on for dear life (not really that bad :D). But St Thomas is flat compared to Tortola and St John, and the majority of people do not have a concern on any of these islands. If you have a spedific fear of open-sided vehicles by all means look for a sedan taxi, but we enjoy the views from the open-sided taxi and they don't feel dangerous if you're seated properly.

Enjoy Sapphire, we spent a week there and loved it. The beach is nice and the water and island views are beautiful. It's a little less protected than Coki and our favorite beaches on Tortola but you will have a great day there as long as there isn't a swell or bad weather.

Sapphire beach is very quiet lately, not all facilities are open, so you might want to look into that. My husband was there last week and it was really dead.

The resort restaurant has been closed for some time but there are food and drink options there and an active dive center. Sapphire isn't normally "dead", but quieter than Coki and of course Magens and that's the beauty of it.

I would never take an open air safari taxi with young children. You can requeset a closed vehicle in St. Thomas. They may grumble and you may have to wait a few minutes, but you will get one.

Another point is that they will try to pack in as many people as possible. My family of 5 was in a taxi and he was trying to load in 2 more people. There was simply no way: my kids and DH are all over 6 ft tall. My husband and I objected and he finally relented. He kept saying 'this vehicle is certified for 8 people' or something like that. Maybe if some of those people were infants or very small children. As it was, we were cramped.

The open-sided taxis are the primary transport unless you are paying for a private transfer in a van or sedan. There is nothing wrong with these, the problem is some people tend to stand up and lean out and that is not smart. If you are willing to wait until they've moved everyone else they may accommodate your request. But keep in mind this is when they are making their money and your special requests aren't helping. If you want a private taxi or tour operator they are available.

Archived