lanai cabins

bandgbasset

Hi everyone:

we're thinking about booking a lanai cabin for our upcoming norwegian fjord cruise in june.

currently booked in a large inside, but wondering if it is worth the extra $ for the lanai cabin,.

you guys are always so helpful.

thank you

gerry

Hi everyone:

we're thinking about booking a lanai cabin for our upcoming norwegian fjord cruise in june.

currently booked in a large inside, but wondering if it is worth the extra $ for the lanai cabin,.

thank you

gerry

A friend booked one to Bermuda last year and liked it very much. I haven't tried one yet.

I think on an itinerary like that it would be very nice. Easy access to the outside and more of a viewing area than a private balcony would provide.

Great to get back to the cabin quickly in case you (like me) forget your camera or binoculars in the cabin!

The cabin is smaller that other outside cabins, and there is little passing space at the foot of the bed. Drawer space is lacking, too.

However, I could be tempted to book one just for the easy access to the great outdoors on this itinerary.

I usually book an inside across the passageway, but I would love to cut 15 seconds off the walk outside when I'm in Norway! :D

Hi everyone:

thank you

gerry

Be aware that you 'may' be awakened early each morning because the deck crew will be hosing down both the deck as well as the windows and exterior steel walls of the lanai staterooms with high pressure water hoses! :D

We were introduced to the lanai cabin on the Rotterdam during our Baltic cruise this past September. friends were in a lanai, and we had a chance to visit for a before dinner drink. DH and I were impressed with the access to the deck, and even tho we would prefer a balcony, we did both decide that this arrangement would suit us quite nicely,

Marilyn

Not to take over your thread, however, what does anyone/everyone feel about going from a veranda to the lanai? It would save us $700pp. We are contemplating a South America/Cape Horn cruise. Thinking if it's really cold/rainy - the extra cover from the deck above may be more worthwhile, plus it's lower in the ship and we wouldn't feel the motion of the extreme seas we may encounter. For anyone that knows - is one section better than another? Any other thoughts?

Not to take over your thread, however, what does anyone/everyone feel about going from a veranda to the lanai? It would save us $700pp. We are contemplating a South America/Cape Horn cruise. Thinking if it's really cold/rainy - the extra cover from the deck above may be more worthwhile, plus it's lower in the ship and we wouldn't feel the motion of the extreme seas we may encounter. For anyone that knows - is one section better than another? Any other thoughts?

We did just that, lanai instead of veranda, for the 28 day Amazon cruise on the Veendam. There was a $1200 pp differential! Not so much anymore as the lanai's have become more popular.

We absolutely loved the lanai! Quick access to the Promenade deck, a wider view than a veranda, and the extra visiting you get to do when your sitting in tour lounge chairs. We quickly got used to the smaller sitting area with its mini loveseat!

Dan

Hi Dan!

DH and I had a lanai cabin on the Rotterdam on last year's 30 day HI & So. Pacific cruise. DH loved it more than the veranda cabin we usually get. I liked it but missed the extra room and drawers of a veranda cabin.

The lanai had a great view and access to the deck for walking, sitting in our own deck chairs, and the people watching was great. It's true that the deck hosing woke us up but we didn't mind. The glass door is mirrored so no problem during the day but you can see in at night if the drape is not pulled.

Hope this helps.

Hi Dan!

DH and I had a lanai cabin on the Rotterdam on last year's 30 day HI & So. Pacific cruise. DH loved it more than the veranda cabin we usually get. I liked it but missed the extra room and drawers of a veranda cabin.

The lanai had a great view and access to the deck for walking, sitting in our own deck chairs, and the people watching was great. It's true that the deck hosing woke us up but we didn't mind. The glass door is mirrored so no problem during the day but you can see in at night if the drape is not pulled.

Hope this helps.

Is there an arrangement for the lanai cabins such that the deck chairs or other seating outside your door are reserved or otherwise not taken away elsewhere on the deck?

Is there an arrangement for the lanai cabins such that the deck chairs or other seating outside your door are reserved or otherwise not taken away elsewhere on the deck?
Yes, there's a small marker on each chair that says they're reserved, and I read recently that they now have different color cushions than the unreserved ones.

bandgbasset - since I broke in on your thread - I again apologize, however, I'm sure if you were thinking of upgrading, all this info that I've been getting from "your thread" is useful to you also. I'd say go for it! It's wonderful to have a little outdoor personal space for yourself while on a cruise - just remember to pay attention to which side of the ship you would want your room to be on while viewing those majestic fjords.

Thanks for the info on the Lanai - sounds really good. We're always up early in the am, usually waiting for the sun to come up, so I don't think the hosing of the deck would be an issue - just as long as they don't hose me off the deck!

obriendan - thanks for your take - I wouldn't think the mini loveseat would be a problem as the only time we ever used that portion of the cabin was putting our breakfast from room service together, whilst we got ready in the am.

Our cruise has more sea days than port days, but I think we'll be too busy being outside ooohhing and aahhhing. Hopefully it won't get too cold down there - does the cabin come with those wonderful blankets? I noticed there wasn't storage cabinets above the loveseat like there was on the Westerdam.

Luckyloon - thanks for the heads up on the storage - we're two female friends traveling together - although we can pack very light, there is a weather difference in our travels where we will need two seasons of clothing. I'm assuming the luggage would fit under the bed - this then could be used for our "out of season clothing".

Thanks for pointing out that you can't see into the room during the day - that was a concern of mine that I didn't think to ask about. I've heard the further south we go, the longer the daylight hours, so we may not have to close the drapes at all.

I have a few more questions....

It seems there is not a refrigerator in the room - what did you do to keep your beverages cool/cold?

I don't seem to remember how much lighting there is on the promenade decks at night - is it bright? If we wanted to open the drapes once we had lights out - would the lights from the promenade deck be too much?

Re: lights on promenade

I have not had a 'lanai' cabin, but did have 'outsides' on same deck. It was my experience that the lights were on all night, requiring the drapes to be closed. I would have closed them anyway, but there were a few times I wanted them open for a while, but the lights were far too bright. I realize they are on for a reason:)

I think that would be a drawback for me in terms of the lanai's. If I wanted to sit out 'on the balcony' late at night (love the sea at night) I don't think it would be nearly as nice as a private balcony where you can turn your own lights off. Promenade at night is not that great, lights are very bright.

swedie:

please don't worry about breaking in on "my" thread lol. i'm looking for any information possible,

we are going on the june 2 14 day scotland and norway route. it goes from rotterdam up north to the norway fjords and back over to scotland.

i called my ta today to find out the cost. we are going to do it but i wanted a starboard side cabin and they are all sold out. we picked one on the port side. do you guys think it makes any difference.

thanks for all your wonderful replies

gerry

Thanks bandgbasset for forgiving me.

The pros of the port side is - I find it fun to watch the late-comers literally running back to the ship so they won't miss it. It does happen. I've never seen anyone miss the ship, but one time the crew had part of the gang-plank pulled and the people had to climb up onto it. Entertainment, although I'm always afraid it would be me.

With the Lanais on the ship - you have easy access to go through the ship to the other side to see what's going on if you don't want to haul yourself up to the top deck - look at the deck plans to see where they are in relation to your cabin. So all is good. Congrats on the up-grade!

JoBob - thanks for the answer re the lights. I guess we'll just have to keep the drapes closed - they do say that we can expect up to 18 hours of daylight in the very south of this South American itinerary, so we may need to do that anyway. Just so you know - lights on the balconies they do ask you to keep them off at night-guess it messes with the bridge? I know some really windy nights if I was sitting out there alone it can get pretty scary sitting in the dark - I would leave the light on in the cabin in case I needed to get in there fast-lol.

I'd still like to know how people keep their beverages cold without the refrigerator? I've read about people renting them - from the ship? Can you request to rent one?

I'd still like to know how people keep their beverages cold without the refrigerator? I've read about people renting them - from the ship? Can you request to rent one?

Ice? You do get an ice bucket, and the ice is changed twice a day. You could ask for a second ice bucket if one isn't enough.

In the cabins without a fridge, you can rent one. Last I knew, the price was $2/day; order in advance as there aren't a lot of them.

Placement can be a problem in some cabins, as there just isn't a lot of spare space.

Hi everyone:

thank you

gerry

Just got back from Antarctica and had a Lanai room. I thought this was great as I was able to get easily from one side of the ship to the other to see the scenery. I would definately book this room again if I was on a cruise with lots of scenery on both sides (ie Fjords or panama canal, kiel canal etc) if available.

The room was smaller than some but we had not problem finding room for the clothes we needed for the SA and Antarctica 17 day cruise (which included clothes for the landing on antarctica, clothes for cool days, hot days and post cruise as well as formal and smart casual clothes).

Whichever room you have enjoy!

Debbie

For this cruise, I would definately book a Lanai. This allows easy access to both sides of the ship especially if you are going through the fjords in Chile. I usually cruise Verandah but for our SA and Antarctica cruise - I think this was great!! IMO

Re: lights on promenade

I have not had a 'lanai' cabin, but did have 'outsides' on same deck. It was my experience that the lights were on all night, requiring the drapes to be closed. I would have closed them anyway, but there were a few times I wanted them open for a while, but the lights were far too bright. I realize they are on for a reason:)

I think that would be a drawback for me in terms of the lanai's. If I wanted to sit out 'on the balcony' late at night (love the sea at night) I don't think it would be nearly as nice as a private balcony where you can turn your own lights off. Promenade at night is not that great, lights are very bright.

I closed the drapes at night partially due to sunset being at 3:00am and sunrise at 5:00am. I did keep them open until I was ready for bed. I really did not have issues.

The only thing I did notice was at times I would think it was raining early in the morning as our windows were cleaned. Other than that no issues. I liked the convenience and would book this type of room again with a very scenic itinerary.

We were on the Maasdam 11 days in Dec, had our first lanai, after many many cruises. It was the best!!

Great to step out, great to look, out great to have our own chairs.

The windows were washed every single morning before we got up. could not rally see in during the day, at night yes, but closed the drapes...not a problem at all:)

we had ice any time we ran out with a simple call.

We sill had plenty of room, I brought extra hangars as always, we had a small bath tub. I would book another in a heart beat.

I loved stepping out onto the LP, the cabin may be smaller but wow what access to the reason for sailing.

Wow, it really does seem a lot of you reeeeaaaalllllyyy like the lanais. Good to know.

Ruth C - I don't normally like my drinks cold, so I never use ice. My cold beverage of choice is beer - not so good with ice cubes? Guess I can try to dig up a small cooler in Buenos Aires somewhere if we're not able to secure a small fridge. Thanks.

Debbie - the packing seems to boggle my mind on the assortment....you wouldn't happen to have a packing list - do you want to share? We're hoping to go to Iguazzo Falls pre-cruise and Machu Pichu post. We're hoping. Like you said the types of clothing is staggering - we're not against doing laundry, but even though, yikes!

Falcon - I've been to Scandanavia many times - I have family there and those loooong days does make it difficult to sleep - well at least with this itinerary I'll have something to look at. Boy am I going to be tired when I get home!

Thank you all for your wisdom,

swedie, aka Jane.

Archived