Live from the MSC Fantasia

Capricruiser

I’m on the third day of an 11-day Mediterranean cruise on the Fantasia en route to Casablanca, Tenerife, Madeira, Malaga and back to Civitavecchia. It's a standard itinerary that gets repeated throughout the winter season. If anyone has general questions about MSC or specific questions about the Fantasia I’ll be happy to try and furnish answers or opinions. I can’t help with private tours because I’m already signed up for the ship’s shorex’s. So far both the ship and the cruise are coming along fine, except for the polar cold we had at Genoa and to a lesser degree at Barcelona.

I’m on the third day of an 11-day Mediterranean cruise on the Fantasia en route to Casablanca, Tenerife, Madeira, Malaga and back to Civitavecchia. It's a standard itinerary that gets repeated throughout the winter season. If anyone has general questions about MSC or specific questions about the Fantasia I’ll be happy to try and furnish answers or opinions. I can’t help with private tours because I’m already signed up for the ship’s shorex’s. So far both the ship and the cruise are coming along fine, except for the polar cold we had at Genoa and to a lesser degree at Barcelona.

Have fun!

Looking forward your review going on the cruise next month, how much is the internet per hour and are there any internet packages ?

Hope the weather gets better.

Internet wifi package prices for my MSC Magnifica cruise 2 weeks ago were:

12 euro - 60 minutes

20 euro - 100 minutes

60 euro - 500 minutes

120 euro - 24 hours

Wifi on my ship was only available in public lounges. I had to put down a 15 euro deposit to get a cable to use the modem in the room. They credited back the deposit when I returned the cable the day before we disembarked. Internet was a bit slow, but by far not the slowest I've experienced on a ship.

Hi Capricruiser,

My daughter and her partner[25 & 27] are doing the cruise on 9th Feb from Civitivecchia on the Fantasia. It is their 1st Cruise and I have read so many Bad Reviews and Comments that I am really worried that they are not going to enjoy it and it was me who suggested it!! Please put my mind at ease!! They are Kiwis and I am worried they may be overawed by the Europeans as they are fairly quiet. Is the food okay? I have no qualms about their Cabin or the Ships Public Areas as everyone has praised these! They are on Deck 10 in a Balcony Cabin. What is the Buffet area food like and are they better to do late sitting? Have heard about having to buy Water and Drinks packages [neither are big drinkers] Any comments would be greatly appreciated and I will pass these on. Are there many English speaking passengers or do you think they will be really outnumbered? Just an overconcerned Mum. Thanks, Anjo.

Would love to hear about your adventures. We're departing Rome on Feb. 20th! Getting excited. Would love to hear your thoughts on the food, staff, ship and overall mood given the Costa Concordia situation. Have fun and enjoy!

Hi Anjo. We sailed Costa a couple years ago and had a great time. We're thinking MSC will be very similiar. We went in with a very open mind and we typically go with the flow. Given that most of the guests are European, or for Costa they were mainly Italian, we did feel a little out of place at first. Costa had an English host that assisted the English speaking passengers. I'm not sure if MSC has a person available. The best part of our cruise was we couldn't tell if people were complaining or enjoying their cruise. Because we only speak English. Anyway, I'm sure your family will have a great time. Have they been to Rome or Italy before? I can't wait to hear more from Capricruiser's!

Hi IAIR, No, they have never been to Italy or Rome before and it is there first time so far from Home. I just want them to have a Great time. Thanks for your comments. Are you on the Fantasia on the 2oth Feb? Regards Anjo.

Yes we are. We've been to Rome several times and wasn't sure if they needed any advice on how to get to the port or if they were staying in Rome before or after their cruise. Italy has the best ice cream! I'm sure they'll have a great time and thank you for your advice. Regards....Laurene

Hi Anjo,

We were on Fantasia last October. We didn't feel overwhelmed by the Europeans and/or other nationalities. Seven days is too short a cruise for this to happen. We had early sitting and we were seated with Aussies - and we really enjoyed their company. We had no problem with the food in the MDR or the buffet and I am a picky eater, there was a variety to choose from. The buffet was fine as it was quite large but of course it would be very busy around say 1pm for lunch, we just paced ourselves and went before it became busy. It is a large ship but very beautiful. We did buy wine.

The only thing I can pick on was the debarcation in Genoa but your daughter is getting off in Rome, I guess, which won't have as many people leaving as Genoa.

We are departing Genoa on Feb. 21th. Pls info about coffee vouchers, drink packages ( price + 15 % included or not ? ) Shuttle bus ? Free water for dinner?

Anjo: I've found the food quality and variety in the buffet to be very good on the Fantasia. There are lots of stations with each station having specific foods on display: hot foods, pastas, salads, ethnic, daily specials, fruit, desserts, and coffee/water stations. There is also a bar in the stern with waiters going around for wine/water/beer orders. Tables are more busy at the entrance of the buffet but walking back toward the stern I've never had trouble finding a place to sit.

As far as the MDR goes, the food is fine, but I have an issue with MSC because on all their ships the menus never change from year to year. Every evening is a different theme menu based on the various Italkian regions. If you remember, for example, the Rome or Palermo menu on your last cruise, it will be exactly the same this year. For a first MSC cruise there's no problem but if you're a repeater then it gets old.

English speakers are always outnumbered, especially in the Med. Germans make up the largest nation group on my cruise.

IAIR: I haven't heard any comments or concern aboard regarding the Concordia accident. There is an English language hostess on board who you'll meet on the first day. Coffee packages on board are around €25 for 25 espressos while the water package is €26 for 14 one litre bottles (PLUS the 15% surcharge).

I am searching Cruise Critic and have posted several messages, so when I saw your kind post, I thought I would ask you this question in case you could find out for me.

My husband and I booked an Inside Guarantee Room on the MSC Poesia and have been given an Inside Handicapped Room assignment. I believe that most cruise ship handicapped rooms have beds that can be moved, but the MSC website indicates that the beds cannot be moved.

Is this something you might be able to find out for me? Thank you in advance! Enjoy your cruise!!!

I am searching Cruise Critic and have posted several messages, so when I saw your kind post, I thought I would ask you this question in case you could find out for me.

My husband and I booked an Inside Guarantee Room on the MSC Poesia and have been given an Inside Handicapped Room assignment. I believe that most cruise ship handicapped rooms have beds that can be moved, but the MSC website indicates that the beds cannot be moved.

Is this something you might be able to find out for me? Thank you in advance! Enjoy your cruise!!!

I'll ask, but remember each class of MSC ships has different cabin layouts. Anyone else had an inside HC on the Poesia?

Looking forward your review going on the cruise next month, how much is the internet per hour and are there any internet packages ?

Hope the weather gets better.

By the way, MSC Club members (Silver/Gold/Black) get substantial discounts on internet use, both at the internet cafe and using your own in your cabin: I bought 500 minutes for €60 but my on board account was charged only €48 because I get a 20% discount being a Gold member.

Capricruiser - What currency did you use in Morocco? How's the weather? -- Laurene

I didn't because I didn't buy anything and the excursion I went on was MSC's. The weather was overcast and rainy all day.

The local currency is the Dirham. Roughly 10 dirhams to a euro. Check XE.com for current exchange rates.

Today we are docked at Santa Cruz de Tenerife, one of the seven Canary islands. This afternoon I had the privilege to attend a classical concert in the Fantasia’s L’Avanguardia Theatre by the Tenerife Symphony Orchestra. It’s indeed rare for a major symphony orchestra to perform on a cruise ship and in fact this was a first for this fine 70 member orchestra. During their one hour performance they entertained the passengers with the music of Rossini, Mozart, Greig, Beethoven and Strauss. It was truly an emotional experience.

Weather aside, this MSC cruise is turning out to be one of the best I have experienced.

Today we are docked at Santa Cruz de Tenerife, one of the seven Canary islands. This afternoon I had the privilege to attend a classical concert in the Fantasia’s L’Avanguardia Theatre by the Tenerife Symphony Orchestra. It’s indeed rare for a major symphony orchestra to perform on a cruise ship and in fact this was a first for this fine 70 member orchestra. During their one hour performance they entertained the passengers with the music of Rossini, Mozart, Greig, Beethoven and Strauss. It was truly an emotional experience.

Weather aside, this MSC cruise is turning out to be one of the best I have experienced.

That sounds fantastic! Glad that you're having a great cruise despite the less than perfect weather.

Hi, all !

Happened to catch sight of this thread, & since I'm flying to Genoa on Fri. 10th to join the next cruise, was pleased to hear that all's good - weather apart !

Will be doing few if any excursions, but useful to know if dirhams are vital or whether the Moroccans will take euros.

Expect to get a wine package; is this recommended by people ?

Not been with MSC before, so a little concerned about being in an English speaking minority, but do expect the crew are sufficiently used to us to make the effort to be understood.... is that fair comment ?

Any other words of wisdom appreciated. Best wishes to all. Clive.

Hi, all !

Happened to catch sight of this thread, & since I'm flying to Genoa on Fri. 10th to join the next cruise, was pleased to hear that all's good - weather apart !

Will be doing few if any excursions, but useful to know if dirhams are vital or whether the Moroccans will take euros.

Expect to get a wine package; is this recommended by people ?

Not been with MSC before, so a little concerned about being in an English speaking minority, but do expect the crew are sufficiently used to us to make the effort to be understood.... is that fair comment ?

Any other words of wisdom appreciated. Best wishes to all. Clive.

If you're planning on heavy shopping at Casablanca, you can get dirhams at any ATM there. Otherwise, the merchants are used to European tourists and will accept euros no problem. The major tourist shops will give you your change also in euros, but the small operators will give change in dirhams.

On my cruise there are 4000 passengers, almost half of whom are Germans. There are about 50 or so English speakers, with many Italians, French and lots of Russians. Don't worry about being in a minority. English is spoken by almost everyone on the hotel staff. Just speak in plain English and avoid colloquialisms and any heavy accent in your speech.

Archived